Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New info on Esther McFarquhar but still can't find

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 28 Sep 2005 22:45

I am looking for Esther Lillian McFarquhar b 1894 in Pancras (i believe - waiting for birth cert to prove this). Have been told by family member that she was scottish, but i think they maybe moved from scotland before she was born. Her father was named James (i have her original marriage cert) but i can't find them on the 1901 census. Maybe someone else might be able to find her, but i am really hitting a brick wall!! Thanks for any help, Dawn PLEASE SEE UPDATE 4/10/05

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 22:51

I spent half of yesterday looking for Esther. Ggggrrrrr!! I hope someone else can do better!! Very best of luck Come on all you clever-cloggs - find Esther - you know you can do it!! Merry

The Bag

The Bag Report 28 Sep 2005 22:53

did she have any siblings?

The Bag

The Bag Report 28 Sep 2005 22:55

nearest i can find.... View Record Agnes Farquhar abt 1872 Dundee, Scotland Daughter Rotherhithe London View Record Alfred Farquhar abt 1889 Rotherhithe, London, England Son Rotherhithe London View Record Anna Farquhar abt 1850 Edinboro, Scotland Wife Rotherhithe London View Record Annie Farquhar abt 1882 Rotherhithe, London, England Daughter Rotherhithe London View Record George Farquhar abt 1882 Rotherhithe, London, England Son Rotherhithe London View Record James Farquhar abt 1849 Dundee, Scotland Head Rotherhithe London View Record Lizzie Farquhar abt 1886 Rotherhithe, London, England Daughter Rotherhithe London View Record Maggie Farquhar abt 1880 Rotherhithe, London, England Daughter Rotherhithe London View Record William Farquhar abt 1891 Rotherhithe, London, England Son Rotherhithe London

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 28 Sep 2005 22:57

Have just tried all Esthers born in London in 1894, nothing I'm afraid that I can see!! (Ancestry) Will try the 2 yrs either side as Im bored! Be back in a mo! Sarah

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 28 Sep 2005 23:03

All Esthers 1893/4/5, taken from Ancestry: Esther Madeley Esther Magnus Esther Maher Esther Maitre Esther Malden Esther Maley Esther Mann Esther Margolis Esther Mark Esther Markovitch Esther Marks Esther Marks Esther Marks Esther Marks Esther Markus Esther Marter Esther Matthews Esther A Matthews Esther M M May Esther Mears Esther J Mehrtens Esther Mendl Esther Merryfield Esther Mesnard Esther Messen Esther Middleditch Esther Miller Esther Miller Esther Lottie Mills Esther Milstein Esther Minnice Esther Mishou Esther A Monroe Esther Morris Esther Moses Esther G C Munson Esther Murfitt Esther L Murley Esther Musselbrook Esther Myers Esther Myers Sarah

Dawn

Dawn Report 28 Sep 2005 23:14

I have been told that she had a sister called Eva, but have no proof of this yet. Don't know what to do next???? Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Kate

Kate Report 28 Sep 2005 23:31

Anyway, yes, Scotland also had censuses at the same time as the English ones and you can look up 1871 to 1901 on Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Kate.

Dawn

Dawn Report 28 Sep 2005 23:54

Thanks for that Kate

Dawn

Dawn Report 4 Oct 2005 14:01

I have recieved her birth cert this morning. She was born in Pancras in Aug 1894. Her mother was Marion McFarquhar (nee Chambers), but still no look with 1901. I have looked at the address she was born at, but they had moved & also the address she got married from in 1919 (also in Pancras). I can't find her parents marriage either. Still looking for suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks, Dawn

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Oct 2005 14:09

what was the address they were living at when she was born?

Merry

Merry Report 4 Oct 2005 14:15

This is the nearest match for a birth for Eva. From Family Relatives which is supposed to be complete 1866-1920. I searched for the surname with any forename beginning with ''Ev'' Surname Forename/s District Page No Event Quarter Year Mcfarquhar Eveline Jessie Pancras.1b 166 Birth 2 1885 Right place, but................ You could perhaps try Scotlands people for the parents marriage? Merry

Dawn

Dawn Report 4 Oct 2005 14:55

From her birth cert the address was 66 Stibbington Street, Somers Town, Pancras, London. I found the address on 1901 but with different people living there.

Dawn

Dawn Report 4 Oct 2005 14:59

Merry, sorry if I sound stupid but what is 'family relatives'? Is this a useful website I have been missing? Do you have to pay like with ancestry? I have looked on familysearch.org but had no joy there.

Kate

Kate Report 4 Oct 2005 23:04

To answer your question, Family Relatives just has the England and Wales GRO indexes same as 1837 online but it has a full index for the years 1866 to 1920 so you can search on name and will just get the entries for that name instead of any pages that it would be on if it was there. But yes, you do have to pay to use it, you buy credits like on 1837 online. But its drawback is that it doesn't have anything before 1866 so if you want to look at anything before 1866 you have to pay for 1837 online anyway! If you want to check it out the website is www.familyrelatives.org Kate.

Dawn

Dawn Report 5 Oct 2005 12:25

Thanks for the advice kate, will have a look now. As i have access to ancestry, 1837 & family search - does anyone feel it is worth spending the extra money on credits for family relatives or does it just repeat the info i have already paid for?

Carol

Carol Report 5 Oct 2005 13:09

Is this her transcribed as Murley on 1901. Esther L Murley abt 1894 St Pancras, London, England Daughter St Pancras London View Record Esther M Murley abt 1871 St Pancras, London, England Wife St Pancras London View Record James Murley abt 1849 St Pancras, London, England Uncle St Pancras London View Record James Murley abt 1867 St Pancras, London, England Head St Pancras London View Record James Z Murley abt 1896 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Sarah A Murley abt 1894 St Pancras, London, England Daughter St Pancras London Source information: RG13/143 Registration district: St Pancras Sub-registration district: Somers Town ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Folio: 63 Page: 61 Household schedule number: 347

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Oct 2005 13:20

I had a look at the image for the MURLEYs - they are actually MARLEYs - this is the birth record for Sarah A: Name: Marley, Sarah Ann Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1900 District: Pancras (1837-1901) County: London Middlesex Volume: 1b Page: 68 She's actually 7 months old not 7 years old - when you look at the image. Christine

gails37

gails37 Report 5 Oct 2005 13:40

Dawn, Have you tried searching for Lillian instead of Esther? Worth a shot Gail

Merry

Merry Report 5 Oct 2005 13:41

Re paying for Family Relatives as well as 1837online - it depends on how many lookups you tend to do whether it's worth using both - you don't want your units to expire!!! (both sites units last for 90 days minimum.) I looked for Eva McFarquhar on FR and because there was only one entry 1866-1920 it cost me 20p. If there had been up to 20 matches that still would have been 20p and wouldn't involve more than a few seconds to search. Imagine how much that would have cost on 1837online, even if I had only looked at quarters not covered by a freesite!! So, it depends what you are looking for and over what time frame. There is one bad point with Family Relatives: You cannot look for middle names, though they are shown in the results (if they are included in the index!). So if you want to look for ''John Arbuthnot Smith'', you have to search for ''John Smith'' and then read the results for any appearance of the middle name. Not cost effective - you are better off with 1837online for such a common name. If you know your search name is going to appear in every quarter at more than 10 occurrences per quarter then it's cheaper to use 1837. Merry