Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone else struggling with Hugh wallis site?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 09:59

somone hop on and see if page not displayed is just me will you? I'm on a roll, or I was! GGrrrr

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 10:01

have to click on a place name - is it specific town -? try looking for someone - anyone!

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2005 10:09

Page not displayed on batch numbers but go to IGI on the same site below Batch numbers and you get what you want that way. Happened to me the other day and i clicked on IGI and do the same as normal under Batch if you see what I mean! janet

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 10:12

not really janet no! i'm not ever so confident with it at the best of times - still 'feeling' my way round to be honest

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2005 10:21

Sorry Jess, in too much of a hurry as usual!! Sounds odd but try it! I was on the Wallis site last week on a roll and page not displayed. On entry to site you are faced with 4 decisions IGI IGI batch numbers compliled by Rick Parsons IGI Batch Numbers UK Hugh Wallis IGI page Go into Hugh Wallis IGI page and you can do the same things there that you can with IGI Batch Numbers UK which is the one that is displaying page not displayed. Hope this is better English!!! I got exactly the same things that I had been doing on the Batch and I was back on my roll. Having said that maybe it does not work like that this week! Just been in and seems to work OK. I do have this site in favourites so it comes up very easily. Try this site to get on to it. I am having no problems http(://)www(.)cornish-ancestors(.)co(.)uk/clul(/)igi(.)htm Remove brackets Janet

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 6 Oct 2005 10:44

Me too, desperate to check some info I was given and have been to Hugh Wallis and IGI and page cannot be displayed, looks like I might have to do some housework! Elaine

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 6 Oct 2005 10:54

Hi all I've just logged on to IGI so no housework Happy hunting Elaine

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2005 12:25

Try this site and follow my directions on previous message: http(://)www(.)cornish-ancestors(.)co(.)uk/clul(/)igi(.)htm I am having no problem whatsoever in getting on. Janet

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 12:37

seems to have got itself back into gear now, but thanks anyway jess x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Oct 2005 19:27

Jess It often pays to check what you have found by using Hugh Wallis, by going to the IGI direct and using the same batch number. You may find you have a different number of hits - more on IGI direct.This is because the IGI results often list infant deaths (if you are looking at baptisms). This saves hours of trying to find out what happened to their Fred, only to find that he died age 6 months. Also remember, Hugh Wallis hasnt been updated for years and doesnt therefore include EVERY PR on the IGI site. Olde Crone

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 19:32

Old crone - what is the IGI direct addy please. Jess x

Matthew

Matthew Report 6 Oct 2005 19:33

If this thread was in hebrew I'd have about the same chance of following what is being said

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 19:37

have we lost you there matthew?- its a good site!

Matthew

Matthew Report 6 Oct 2005 19:39

Jess, too say the least, what's it all about?

The Bag

The Bag Report 6 Oct 2005 19:42

Matthew- Google HUGH WALLIS BATCH NUMBERS and get yourself there. have a forrage around. find some marriage and baptisms, its good! and its free!! Chuck me some names and places and will attempt to talk you thru.(coverage for some counties is better than others)

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2005 20:06

Matthew No need to google just try this web site: http(://)www(.)cornish-ancestors(.)co(.)uk/clul(/)igi(.)htm (Remove brackets) Once on to the site you are faced with 4 options IGI IGI batch numbers compiled by Rick Parsons *IGI Batch Numbers UK Hugh Wallis IGI Page *The IGI Batch Numbers UK often has the page not displayed sign but the Hugh Wallis IGI Page is the one I have never had problems with. Will take you straight to the Hugh Wallis site where you can play around. Put it into favourites and then you can always go straight in. Janet

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Oct 2005 20:35

Jess The IGI is on the LDS site - Family Searchyouknowwhat. Its the SAME Site that Hugh Wallis takes you to, but as Hugh Wallis has listed, say, P0011441 as BAPTISMS, then baptisms is what you'll get. But if you go straight into Family Search, click on IGI and use the SAME Batch number - P0011441 - you may get a different number of hits for that same batch number, because whoever transcribed the PR, linked birth-dates-baptism dates-young deaths (using 'extra information' as given in the PR). It doesnt actually give you any more people - but it does give you possibly more information about those people, such as birth dates and early deaths. The only advantage I can see to using Hugh Wallis over IGI, is that it takes you to the IGI a lot quicker than if you go to FamilySearch and faff about to get onto the IGI. Phew! Hope you understood all that, I'm going for lie down now! Olde Crone

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 6 Oct 2005 21:26

Not sure that I understand the Hugh Wallis/ IGI distinction. If you find a chunk of info via HW, and then click on the name you're interested in, it gives you the birth & death date if there, doesn't it? - It does when I look. Christine

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2005 22:23

As I understand the main reason for using the Hugh Wallis site is to get a whole village/town/county at a time at least that is the reason why I use it and from that point of view I find it very useful though half of the people I am interested in are not on the IGI but that is another issue! Janet

Angela

Angela Report 7 Oct 2005 13:54

I have been having problems with the site on and off for quite a few weeks. I quite often have to make a note of the batch number than go into the LDS site in the usual way and type the batch number in the box.