Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREE Genealogy / Family Tree Software

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 23 Oct 2005 21:31

Here are some peices of Software that can be down loaded to create family trees. Please feel free to add some more. Remove brakets from around the dots and pleas note some addresses are on more than one line. *********************************Please Delete Nudges!!!!!!************************************ n.b. As far as I can tell all softwear is permanently Free, it websites do not say otherwise.

Rachel

Rachel Report 23 Oct 2005 21:32

Genviewer Lite (this is a gedcom reader only it cannot build a tree ) www.mudcreek(.)ca LDS paf file www.ldscatalog(.)com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001& categoryId=7000000&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=100069&level=2&bcname=Software%20 Downloads%20-%20Free&top=Y&resetCat=N&replBC=subcatlist100069&retURL= Free Family Tree Maker Starter Edition www.familytreemaker(.)com/Download/Starter.aspx Bygones http://home.utah-inter(.)net/bygones/ Legacy Standard Edition www.legacyfamilytree(.)com/ GenoPro www.genopro(.)com/?ReferrerID=ancestorsearch

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Oct 2005 19:55

Just had a peep at the family tree one and it says it takes about 45 minutes to download to your computer, at a dial up connection, does that mean that even if we pay monthy for the internet we are still charged? Sue

Rachel

Rachel Report 25 Oct 2005 21:01

Sue, I don't know as I don't use a modem (use a high speed lan - similar to broardband). I think it would depend how your internet connection is charged, if it's by time then you probally would pay same with download limits. But cheak with your ISP. Genviewer lite, is quite easy to use and shouldn't take too long to download. I have had it for years and update it when I need to, I find it easier to use it sometimes as apposed to a package I paid for.

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 13 Nov 2005 19:56

Re. the PAF. Just download fron the LDS site rather than fight your way through a hugh address.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Nov 2005 21:28

Sue If you pay a monthly charge for the internet: dial-up or broadband, you didn't ought to have to pay any extra to download the program unless you are on a restricted hours dial-up and do it outside the permitted times.

moe

moe Report 21 Jan 2006 18:25

thanks for the nudge Lunar, just adding my name til tomorrow when i have time to fiddle around....MOE!

Karen

Karen Report 21 Jan 2006 18:46

Do any of these allow for lots of siblings? I have FTM but it only follows direct line, I want to show all my little twiglets, plus the cousins that married!

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jan 2006 18:59

Karen, You can put siblings and cousins in FTM, but if you want to show everyone on a tree you need yo do an All-in-One tree - you may need to right click the mouse in tree veiw and alter the number of generations you can see. Most software work on similar lines and even mixed trees (ancester and decendent together) you end up with an hour glass shape.

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jan 2006 19:59

Family tree maker can deal with just about anything. You can add other spouses and attach children to one parent but not the other, you can attch an adopted child to the family and mark the relationship as adopted.

Karen

Karen Report 21 Jan 2006 20:26

How do I do an all-in-one tree? And how do I change no. of generations?

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jan 2006 20:52

Karen, Find the person you want to start with and put them into veiw. Click the seventh icon accross, it looks like a tree and has a small down arrow. the last item on the list is the All-In-One tree, select it. When you have the tree up - it may only contain one or two indiviualls. Useing your mouse, right-click on the tree, and you get # of Generations to show.... select it and increase or decrease the number of generations. You should then have a very complexed tree.

Karen

Karen Report 21 Jan 2006 21:07

Thankyou for that, I'll be playing with that tomorrow :) I've just checked and I don't have that feature. I got the copy of a magazine so expect it doesn't come with that. Oh well, will be buying it anyway then.

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 4 Feb 2006 18:37

nudged again for newbies like myself Lunar Lin XX

Brit

Brit Report 4 Feb 2006 18:51

Thanks Lunar, nudging for later. Maggie

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 Feb 2006 22:30

Thanks for the nudges. Will look into later Lorraine

Kath

Kath Report 5 Feb 2006 23:00

Nudge for later Many Thanx Kath x

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 6 Feb 2006 00:17

I use Genopro (so far just the free version) and I find it very clear and easy to use. Sue

dsg

dsg Report 11 Feb 2006 23:12

nudge for later cheers

Samian590

Samian590 Report 15 Feb 2006 18:08

just tried the genpro its easy to use. many thanks