Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fresh pair of eyes please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2005 18:45

Could someone have a look on ancestry at 107/1731 folio 753 page 28 and tell me what the occupation of Emma Hewer (3rd from bottom of page) is please ................... I'm sure I can't be reading this right ...... lol! Thanks. Bev x

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Nov 2005 18:47

Year...

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2005 18:49

Well, I don't believe it, but it looks like Nymph of the Cave !!!!!!!! Kath. x

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Nov 2005 18:50

the mind boggles, what year! C'mon lets all have a look!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2005 18:50

It's 1851, Jess. Kath. x

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Nov 2005 18:53

Certainly looks like Nymph of the something! what ever it is they all 3 do it! actually Maria doesn't... What does it say in the left margin?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2005 18:53

I don't know what this enumerator was on, but on the next page is a two year old daughter to Emma, who had next to her name an occupation that looks very much like 'illegitimate'. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2005 18:54

Yes Kathleen that's what I thought it said ....... well its different ............. (what the hell is a nymph of the cave?? Not sure I want to know lol!) Bev x

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2005 18:56

Give us a clue Bev. Whereabouts are these lovely nymphs? Perhaps they were employed by Mother Shipton to attract Touridts. Lol

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2005 18:56

Can't make out the scribble in the left margin. Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2005 18:58

They are in Burford, Oxfordshire Grampa. Do you fancy visiting them then???? Kath. x

Georgina

Georgina Report 8 Nov 2005 18:58

Bev I think the enumerator had it in for this family the mother's a Nymph and on the next page there is Ann Hewer aged 2 and in occupation he has written Illigitimate. Georgina.

Jenna

Jenna Report 8 Nov 2005 18:59

I've had a look, can't make out the first word but the rest of it looks like 'of the peace'.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Nov 2005 19:00

I just googled the first part of expression - adding Oxfordshire as an extra term. There's a fascinating correspondence on Rootsweb about these ladies. If you compare the first letter, you'll see it's not a C but a P. It's a wonderful euphemism! Where do you find a 'pave' but on a street? Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2005 19:01

I haven't been out with a nymph since I was a tadpole.

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Nov 2005 19:02

actually quite a lot of entries have illigitimate in the occupation column

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2005 19:02

Well it does seem that there was a daughter in this family and neither Head, sister or niece were married......... Never seen anything like this (though having said that, half hour ago I found who I believe to be Emmas mother at the ripe old age of 75 and apparently an Agri Lab!) Bev x

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2005 19:03

JIM! pmsl!!!! Bev x

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Nov 2005 19:03

Are you Still glad you asked then Bev....Lol!!

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 8 Nov 2005 19:04

If there are all these illegimate children, do you think it says Nympho? Tina