Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did my great-great-grandparents actually marry ???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 20:26

I've searched through the Ancestry free online registers of marriages from 1904 to 1910 inclusive and cannot find a record of their marriage. They are: Henrietta Louisa Sheppard born 19/9/1887 in Figheldean (Amesbury district in Wilts) Henry George Wade born 1879/80 possibly in London area (guessing MIddlesex?). Their 1st child was born on 29/03/1906 in the Andover area. Their 2nd on 27/9/09 back home in Figheldean. Henry was in the Army when his 1st child was born, based at Salisbury Plain. They lived in the Amesbury/Pewsey area at least until 1926 by which time they'd had lots more kids. I looked through the registers online page by page for Wade, but couldn't find him. Shepperd was not listed either but the spelling could be different on the records. I've found two other Henry George Wade's marrying in 1904 and 1908, but neither seem to be to my great-great-gran! PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME ????!!!!!

Merry

Merry Report 3 Apr 2006 20:43

If you feel you have thoroughly searched the GRO indexes, you now need to try the overseas ones. I know that sounds odd when they were here (UK I mean) but some UK Army Marriages are included in the Overseas ones!! You need to use 1837online to look at these records. Merry

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 20:55

Merry - Thanks for the tip about the overseas marriage - I've just put in a request for help on that one

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 20:58

Sue - I've learned that most of my family fibbed about one thing or another, even on the official records ! I did search thoroughly for Henry Wade, expecting that to be easier than Sheppard, and couldn't find him marrying her. I was going for the easy route, thinking I could then check she was there...but it didn't work out. I have looked through all Henry and Harry Wade's though just in case, but still nothing.......

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 21:02

I've had help on the overseas option, and they're not listed as marrying 'overseas' in the Army records......

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2006 21:20

Well, I suppose Hettie is short for Henrietta... but as for the surname.. Marriages Dec 1908 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FRANKLIN Elizabeth Amesbury 5a 404 HILL Albert Amesbury 5a 404 SHEEN Hettie Amesbury 5a 404 WADE Henry George Amesbury 5a 404 Kate.

Annette

Annette Report 3 Apr 2006 21:26

Heidi, Is it possible they married at a later date? I searched for my Great Grandparents marriage record for months. My Grandma was born in 1902 and they married in 1913. I have no idea why they waited so long because my Great Grandma was a widow and my Great Grandad was a bachelor. Good luck, Annette

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2006 21:30

I know you already have this, but just to prove she was a Sheppard at birth: Name: Henrietta Louisa Sheppard Year of Registration: 1887 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Amesbury County: Wiltshire Volume: 5a Page: 169 (click to see others on page) Hmm... can't find any marriages for her on FreeBMD. Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2006 21:31

I think if I were you I would be tempted to order the Henry George Wade 1908 marriage certificate anyway, seeing as it is Amesbury, and see if it is him or not. Kate.

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 21:35

Kate - well I suppose it's possible maybe perhaps? Although I've no idea why she would want to use another name. I've checked in case she married very young to a Mr Sheen and was then widowed, but can't find any trace of that either........

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 21:37

Annette - WOW that's a long delay! Did any children born before the marriage have the father's surname or the mother's?

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 21:39

Kate - yes she was definately a Sheppard. Glad to see other people can't find her marrying either, not just me. I thought I was getting the hang on this until this point !

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2006 21:39

Well, as I said, if I were you I would get the 1908 marriage cert anyway to see if it is him; presumably there weren't that many Henry George Wades in the Amesbury area at the time? I mean, there don't seem to have been very many Henry George Wades at all, so what are the chances? Whether it is her or not I don't know, but then if he married somebody else it would explain why he didn't marry her, wouldn't it? Kate.

Annette

Annette Report 3 Apr 2006 21:46

Heidi, All four children were registered in the Father's name, my Great Grandma also used this name during the period before they married. Annette

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 21:47

Kate - but they had 8 kids ? He would have been a but busy if he'd been a bigamist surely? Plus he definately was with the family when they eventually moved to the coast before 1929 when his eldest married. ???

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 21:52

Annette - thanks for this, I had no idea that happened. I think I might have to keep searching through the marriage registers on the off chance of ever finding them marrying at some point. I wanted to find their marriage to trace his family back further as I don't really know where they're from so was having trouble going backwards - I've only got his possible parents but nothing concrete.

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2006 21:54

Well, all I can say is, I would still get the 1908 marriage certificate if I were you. After all, she could be Hettie. Kate.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 3 Apr 2006 21:54

widen your search is my suggestion.... I have a birth cert from 1881.. eldest childs, states a maiden name for the mother as well as her married name. So i started in 1881 and went backwards, searching for the marriage........ Nothing. When i got to age when they would have been much too young to marry, I started at 1881 and came forwards.... finally found marriage in 1890. They say they are married in all census as well...1881,1891,1901. Keep looking it might be there somewhere!!!!!!!

newforester

newforester Report 3 Apr 2006 22:03

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice - I will continue my quest with new hope and new ideas ......... and not easily put off by a little thing like not getting married before having numerous children (we're not modern, it's just another fashion coming back again! ) Thanks all :-)

Lynn

Lynn Report 4 Apr 2006 07:37

Hi They could well have married very very late. My Great Great Grandparents, don't appear to have got married until 1908 in Hull, when they had been together as a married couple on the censuses from 1871 and they had children as far back as 1864. I wondered if it was a mistake, but the names, Edward Chapman Barley and Septiana Anderton, aren't exactly common ones, are they? My cousin thinks that they married to be entitled to the pension benefits that came in around that time! Maybe, my grandma could have been a bridesmaid!! Lynn : )