Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Message for Snowdrop!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 10:20

Hello Snow drop. I have just got off the phone with the York branch of the British Legion. I phoned the Harrogate number off the web site address you gave me and spoke to the Chairman. He gave me Yorks number and i spoke to a lovely lady who is going to set the task of finding great granddads services records etc to some friends of the legion who search records in their own time. Thank you Snow drop and every one else who replied to my thread. Fingers crossed they come up with something. She thinks because i can not find him on the 1901 census he could have been in the Boea War. Thanks again. Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 10:25

Vanessa, You're more than welcome. If he was in the Boer war there is an exceedingly good chance his records are in Kew. My great granddad was in the Boer war and I got his records from there last Christmas - fantastic to see, told you where he'd been, home address, physical description, other family members the lot. Hope you're as lucky - GOOD LUCK Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 10:28

Thanks Snow drop. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Mind you, that may be difficult, got to go to work tonight so will be falling all over the place!! Thanks again. Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 10:35

Now I have images of you walking (or trying to) with your toes crossed and all scrunched up in your shoes - good image!! LOL Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 10:42

That image is not good when you work on the railway!HAHAHA!! Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 10:44

If the worse comes to worst we can always put wheels on you and roll you along the track!! LOL Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 10:45

OOooo!!!!!! Never though of that! Cheap rail travel! Vanessa

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 11:22

Don`t know if you will see this Snowdrop. I have been looking at the boer war dates(1899-1902). I have a very strong feeling he was there. He married in 1899. First child born 1899. Second child born 1902. No other children born or otherwise, between those dates Looking very promising. now will have to wait for info. Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 11:56

Vanessa, When was he born There were two Boer Wars - he probably was in the second. Reason why I ask is because of the dates of the children's births. My great aunt was born 1900 and my granddad in 1902 and I couldn't get my head round why they would be born then if the Boer war was 1899 - 1902. It turns out he was in the army prior to that and was in reserve so when the war started he was called to service on 26 December 1899 and had to fulfil the 12 years (7 served, 5 in reserve) and he was then discharged in 1901 - half way through the war (well nearly lol). If you find he was in the Boer war (or even in the army come to that) you will have to go to Kew to get the papers, failing that there is a bloke who will do the research for a pint and some petrol money (he goes every week to do his own research) you will find his details at http://hometown*aol*co*uk/KevinAsplin/home.html Replace asterisks with dots Check out the bit which says 'About me' - it's just below the hitometer on the left hand side - there's also a link to contact him It looks promising Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 13:13

Hi Snowdrop. Great granddad William Mckegg was born in 1878 in York. Died 1938 in York aged 58years. I am getting confused now.!!!! I will look in to what you have said soon.(Brain ticking rather loudly!). What a family!! Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 13:36

Eh, Vanessa, one of those registrars has got his figures wrong!! Don't be confused, found Williams birth in 1878, Walmgate York and his death in 1938 aged 58 so you are quoting right - it's the registers which are wrong!! Is he the one who married Mary McCague in 1899? - bet you have to be careful not to mix them up!! But looking at the date of birth would he be too young to have joined up? I know in earlier years they took boy soldiers in much younger but had it changed by then? He'd only be 13ish! It might be more likely WWI. Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 13:44

Yes Snowdrop you found the right one. Married Mary Mchale. i need to get the marriage cetificate to verify the fact that the maiden name of mary is misspelt. I have had a look at kevins site and book marked it for later. I need the facts from the legion before i charge in with gusto! History was not my strongest subject at school. Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 13:51

Vanessa, The spelling of McCague I got from Yorkshire BMD site - it's very good. You can order the certificate from there using their reference (which is different from the GRO's). I just had a quick look on WWI medal list and there are only 2 William McKeggs so, if it was WWI, at least you wont have far to look! One of them was in the East Yorkshire Regiment and the other in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 13:55

I saw them myself when having a nosey on the site. I am wondering which one of them if any could be him. I am not too sure what the second one you put down is? Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 13:58

Vanessa, when you download the medal card there are usually 6 to a page. As there are only 2 McKeggs the chances are you will get both of them on the one page (plus a few others to make up the 6). So really you only have to download once (at a price of £3.50) and you've covered both bets!! Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 14:00

Excellent!! Will do that tomorrow when hubby gets paid and i spend it. Thanks for the advice. Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 14:04

Vanessa, You wont get much info on the card. Usually name, rank, number and medals awarded. Sometimes you get where they were, but not always, and there is no other personal information on there so you still wont know which one might be yours. Might be worthwhile to wait for the British Legion to come back to you - you might then know which regiment he was in and can then say which one is your granddad. Snowdrops

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 14:10

Good advice. Will do. This is the thrill of searching. Finding something out, but waiting,,,,,! Never mind. I`ve got further today than yesterday. Vanessa

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 May 2006 14:24

I have something else to occupy my time while i am waiting. To get the marriage certificate of my great great great grandparents who married in ripon 1847. apply Harrogate. To get the birth certificate of their son born Selby 1849. apply Harrogate. And the greatest mystery of all? Hunt the death certificate of Granddad kellert. Ancestry and other records say he died in York. But York can not find him. He is buried in Catterick Garrison, so to try the search for there, apply Harrogate. OH what a family i have!!! Harrogate said to write a letter. May be better to turn up in person! Vanessa

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 May 2006 14:25

Yes, the waiting is hard but................... OH, THE SATISFACTION!!!!!!!!!!! Snowdrops