Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificare Help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LEN

LEN Report 13 May 2006 15:51

Can anyone please help me to find the marriage of JAMES and ANN GULLEY. ? They are listed on the 1851 Census as living at 46 John Street, St. George in the East, Stepney.. Their Children are Philip age 12, Caroline age 5, Sophia age3 and Emma age 1 month. Also living at the same address is Christian Hay, age 22 listed as `Son in Law` but could possibly be Step Son ? . Christian is my g.grandfather, who`s birth record I am trying to trace. I shall be extremely grateful if anyone can help me untangle this web.. Thank you in anticipation, Len Hay.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 May 2006 15:54

If Philip was 12 in 1851 he would have been born around 1839. His parents might have been married pre-1st July 1837 in which case there won't be a civil marriage certificate. Have you looked on www.familysearch.org or on Freebmd yet? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 May 2006 15:58

Christian would have been born c. 1829 so you won't find a birth cert, but just a baptism record. If its not on www.familysearch.org you will have to look in the parish baptism registers in the county records office where he says he was born/or order microfilm of the registers at your nearest LDS family history centre/or contact the relevant local family history society. Christian's marriage cert should give his father's name.

The Ego

The Ego Report 13 May 2006 16:03

I presume you have the 1881 census info Len?

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 16:04

This doesn't help much, but it's surprising that Christian is not in their household in 1841: John Edwards abt 1835 Middlesex, England St George in the East Middlesex Ann Gulley abt 1816 Middlesex, England St George in the East Middlesex James Gulley abt 1816 Middlesex, England St George in the East Middlesex Philip Gulley abt 1838 Middlesex, England St George in the East Middlesex Richard Gulley abt 1840 Middlesex, England St George in the East Middlesex At the moment I can't find Christian Hay! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 16:07

A birth cert for one of the Gulley children should confirm if Ann was formerly or late Hay (ie if Hay was her maiden name or her previous married name). Merry

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 16:13

Here's the ref for Emma Gulley, aged 1mth on the 1851 census: Gully Emma, 1851, Q1, St George in the East, Vol 2, Page 144 Merry

LEN

LEN Report 13 May 2006 22:11

Thank you for you information Little Nell and Monty///I willplod on and see what I can come up with......Len.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 May 2006 22:26

As Christian is described as unmarried in 1851, the assumption must be that he is the wife's son by another man. I notice that he called two of his children Philip & Caroline Reg

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 May 2006 22:27

hiya i found this 1851 census >>>Ann Gulley abt 1815 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Wife St George in the East Middlesex >>> James Gulley abt 1815 London City Head St George in the East Middlesex View Record Caroline Hay abt 1846 St George in East, Middlesex, England Daughter St George in the East Middlesex >>> Christian Hay abt 1829 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Son-in-law St George in the East Middlesex View Record Emma Hay abt 1851 St George in East, Middlesex, England Daughter St George in the East Middlesex View Record Philips Hay abt 1839 St George in East, Middlesex, England Son St George in the East Middlesex View Record Sophia Hay abt 1848 St George in East, Middlesex, England Daughter St George in the East Middlesex seems to be right family julie

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 22:30

Erm.....Julie....that's the family Len is talking about in his original post......all those called Hay in the transcript are really Gulleys on the census page, except Christian. Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 May 2006 22:42

this is 1861 View Record Christian Hay abt 1829 Wapping, Middlesex, England Head Stepney Middlesex View Record Christian Hay abt 1851 St Georges E, Middlesex, England Son Stepney Middlesex View Record John H Hay abt 1852 St Georges E, Middlesex, England Son Stepney Middlesex View Record Mary A Hay abt 1856 St Georges E, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex View Record Sarah J Hay abt 1828 Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Wife Stepney Middlesex View Record William Hay abt 1854 St Georges E, Middlesex, England Son Stepney Middlesex erm, yes, sorry merry, cab sav fuddled me thinking, Duh!!! julie

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 22:43

LOL that's what I'm drinking....maybe you have had more that me??? (I'm jealous!) Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 May 2006 22:54

nah merry, about 1/4 bottle and feel tiddled, gone straight to me ed, but being 6months into pregnancy dont help much, have ran out now anyway, was last in bottle sob sob!! still having no luck with christian, seems to be elusive, dont help that he changes where he was flippin born,LOL julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 May 2006 23:01

hiya, gottim!!!! 1841 View Record James Dismore abt 1816 Ireland Bethnal Green Middlesex >> Chritian Hayes abt 1829 Middlesex, England Bethnal Green Middlesex View Record John Hayes abt 1796 Ireland Bethnal Green Middlesex julie

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 23:05

The wine does work after all!! Well done! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 13 May 2006 23:08

Lets hope John Hayes is his uncle or maybe Grandfather.....and not his DAD!! Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 May 2006 23:08

just trying to see if i can find john hays now maybe get lucky? julie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 May 2006 23:13

Can I just ask a question? If Ann is Christian's mother........and she is already married to Mr Gulley by 1841, where does John fit in? Do we assume he is an Uncle perhaps? Reg

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 May 2006 23:14

hiya needle in a haystack me thinks!! julie