Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Personal Ancestral File by LDS

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 30 May 2006 16:30

Hi all can anyone tell me if this package is any good and worth using? Cheers

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 30 May 2006 16:47

I've been using it-and it's fairly straight forward. Needs to be with thicko here !! lol

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 May 2006 16:49

I have used it for a couple of years and find it very easy to use. Some of the commercial packages can produce better reports, I believe, but PAF does everything I need.

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 May 2006 17:37

hi can someone tell me what this is please? another thicko

Salty

Salty Report 30 May 2006 19:24

It s a family tree maker produced by the latter day saints web site for free. Rod

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 May 2006 20:25

PAF is family tree software. It's free from www.familysearch.org and you can import/export information to and from other trees using GEDCOM. I use PAF and you can put in oodles of notes, see pedigree charts, family diagrams etc as well as lists of individuals either A-Z or Z-A or by their number. It also allows you to add images, but I haven't done this yet. It is so simple that even a total technophobe like me can use it. nell

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 May 2006 20:46

thanks for that, sounds good Mandy xx

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 May 2006 21:18

To Helen and Kevin Has anyone linked 2 files together by marriage, which is what I am trying to do at the moment and failing?I am doing it by starting a new file and trying to import one file into it, which it won't do. Help someone please!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 May 2006 23:25

Excellent package...............it has one really useful facility that the GR set-up needs; you can link (for example) brothers marrying sisters, without having to enter everyone twice. There is an option of connecting an 'existing' family member............. Reg

Paul

Paul Report 31 May 2006 10:43

Yes Reg I was having that problem lots with GR so thats great that this overcomes that. And if any one can solve the other problem raised on this thread about merging trees I would have solved another problem - anyone??

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 31 May 2006 12:47

have nudge the thread up for you

Toni

Toni Report 31 May 2006 13:13

I have PAF and find it is really good. I've looked at the commercially available software and none of them offer anything to make me change. As for the other part I hope I understand the question. You need to convert one file into a GEDCOM (PAF will tell you how to do this) and import it into your other file. You can then link anyone to anyone via marriage, parents etc. If you have the same people in both files you can go to tools and select match/merge. This will combine the person into one record will all the info. Hope this answers the question. Toni

Maggie

Maggie Report 31 May 2006 13:58

I've down loaded PAF companion 5.2 from Family search and its just an Example. What have I done wrong. HELP. Another thicko.

Paul

Paul Report 31 May 2006 15:48

nudge!

Mandy

Mandy Report 31 May 2006 16:32

I downloaded it and it's fab! Having lots of fun inputting everything, adding photos etc

Paul

Paul Report 1 Jun 2006 10:45

can anyone help maggie?

Vivian

Vivian Report 1 Jun 2006 13:12

Paf Companion is an optional add-on programme for PAF which will produce more detailed reports/charts.

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 1 Jun 2006 13:14

Update sorry wrong info first time Maggie have sent you an email go to the latter days saints site( www.)familysearch.(org) remove brackets Click on Software Downloads then when the next page comes up click on Software Downloads Free then on the next page click on the 1st one down that should take you to another page then just keep following the links if you dont have Adobe Reader install this first it is on this page good luck let me know how you get on

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 Jun 2006 13:29

Maggie Detete it and download again Sue

Paul

Paul Report 1 Jun 2006 15:01

Vivian where does the PAF companion come from?