Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why isn't he on the 1881 census THANKYOU SO MUCH I

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 19:48

Hi i have found my family on the 1881 census ref RG11/4755 v14 f 66 page 29. I am able to find all the other members of family that should be on it apart from 1 which is Armstrong Whitehead he was born 1876 but doesn't appear on this census. Could it be a silly reason like he was staying at his Grandparents that night or something? Many thanks Jennie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 19:53

hiya, where was he born please??? i'll have a look to see if i can find him Julie

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 19:54

Hi he was born in hull Yorkshire Civil parish is Southcoates/Sculcoates. Thankyou Jen

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 20:09

hiya i will go with kelly, Image does say whitehead, on the 1881 cen, and it does say adopt son solved, Next please LOL Julie

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 20:11

Thanks Kelly but as far as i know he didn't have any relatives called Smith or would it not be just relatives that would put them on the census? Thanks Jen

Jools

Jools Report 13 Jul 2006 20:15

As Kelly & Julie say, the image definitely says Armstrong WHITEHEAD adopted son age 4 rest of family is william smith head married 33 cowkeeper born cottingham emily wife 34 born stoneferry and emily daughter 9 born hull. You may not have had a smith in your tree before, but you have now :)) Try emily smith and eliza whitehead being sisters - I bet you'll find that's where the connection is.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 20:15

hiya, it just depends if the head of house could write and read, if they couldnt then, the enumerator would have wrote it, they even could have assumed he was adopted, with him having diff name, but it definately says whitehead on image, (just mistrans wrong), perhaps he was just staying with a family friend, is the natural family anywhere near, where he is on census??? Julie

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 20:17

Thanks Kelly Julie i have had a look at it closer and it does look like my Armstrong Whitehead. Why would it be that he was the adopted son but only on this census. Would there be anyway of finding out what actually happened? Thankyou sorry for so many questions Jen

Jools

Jools Report 13 Jul 2006 20:24

Jennifer - have you ruled out my suggestion that emily smith and elisa whitehead were sisters?

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 20:40

hiya, have found smiths on 1891 cen, they are living on a farm, and the daughter is a servant in sculcoates, what were armstrongs parents names?? please? Julie

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 20:44

Hi Armstrongs parents are called Robert Whitehead and Eliza/sa Armstrong. I have seen if i can find a connection between Emily Smith and Elisa/za and i cannot but she was on some census as Clara so will keep searching. Thanks for al your help Jen

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 20:49

is this the rest of family in 1881?? View Record Annie E. Whitehead abt 1872 Hull, Yorkshire, England Daughter Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Arthur Whitehead abt 1878 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire >>>>Elisa Whitehead abt 1842 Stoneferry, Yorkshire, England Wife Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Elisa Whitehead abt 1866 Hull, Yorkshire, England Daughter Southcoates Yorkshire View Record George W. Whitehead abt 1868 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Harry Whitehead abt 1867 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Robert Whitehead abt 1839 Burton Constable, Yorkshire, England Head Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Selina Whitehead abt 1874 Hull, Yorkshire, England Daughter Southcoates Yorkshire now i have seen this i think Jools is right, emma was born in same place, have youtraced the parents marriage??? Julie

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 20:52

Sorry Jules and Julie i am totally lost as to what is happening. Sorry i haven't been using the census for a great deal of time so i am easy to confuse. Whos parents should i be looking at is it Elizas Armstrong parents?? Sorry again i am trying to follow. Thankyou for your help and patience with me Jen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jul 2006 20:56

Copied from one of Jennie's other threads............he was back 'home' in 1891 Added By Reggie Harvey on 04/06/2006 15:04:52 | Update Message | Delete Message 1891 Annie E Whitehead abt 1872 Hull, Yorkshire, England Daughter Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Armstrong Whitehead abt 1876 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Arthur Whitehead abt 1878 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire View Record George W Whitehead abt 1868 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Robert Whitehead abt 1886 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Southcoates Yorkshire View Record Selina Whitehead abt 1874 Hull, Yorkshire, England Daughter Southcoates Yorkshire Reg

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 20:58

hiya jen, is just me thinking out loud, i know you are new, have seen the postings, I was thinking about elisa/eliza maiden name, but i now know its armstrong, do you have marriage refs? >>> Eliza Armstrong 1865 Apr-May-Jun Hull East Riding Of Yorkshire, Humberside View Record Maria Pickering 1865 Apr-May-Jun Hull East Riding Of Yorkshire, Humberside View Record Ralph Poole 1865 Apr-May-Jun Hull East Riding Of Yorkshire, Humberside >>> Robert Whitehead 1865 Apr-May-Jun Hull East Riding Of Yorkshire, (just incase you havent got it). Julie am just going to look for something, i will be back keep your chin up Jen JUlie

Judith

Judith Report 13 Jul 2006 21:01

On 1851 census in Sutton, Yorkshire there are: Maria Armstrong wife 30 Fanney Armstrong 10 Elizabeth Armstrong 9 Emma Armstrong 5 Robert Armstrong 1 all born Stoneferry. Could this be the link between your Elisa (Elizabeth) Whitehead and Emma Smith? The head of household is John Armstrong born Thorngumbald Same family in 1861 in Cottingham- John Armstrong 45 Maria 40 Eliza 19 Robert 11 John 9 Silina 7 George 5 born Sculcoates Must be yours I think as Elizabeth is now Eliza and she has a younger sister Selina, guess she named her daugher after her . I think Emma, 15, was a servant in Hull on this census though birthplace also given as Hull.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 21:01

hiya jen GOTTIT >>>>Emma Armstrong 1869 Jul-Aug-Sep Sculcoates East Riding Of Yorkshire View Record William Smith 1869 Jul-Aug-Sep Sculcoates East Riding Of she is elizas sister!!! afterall Sorted, nice one Jools, Julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Jul 2006 21:03

here is ref: Name: Emma Armstrong Year of Registration: 1869 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Sculcoates County: East Riding Of Yorkshire Volume: 9d Page: 225 (click to see others on page) and i'll get other one as well julie Name: Eliza Armstrong Year of Registration: 1865 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Hull County: East Riding Of Yorkshire, Humberside Volume: 9d Page: 303 (click to see julie

Marie

Marie Report 13 Jul 2006 21:05

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1865 Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference ARMSTRONG Eliza WHITEHEAD Robert Holy Trinity Hull HD/23/493

Jennie

Jennie Report 13 Jul 2006 21:06

The biggest THANKYOU to all who have helped me and not got mad at me for getting confused. If i could see you i would give you all big cuddles. THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU Jen