Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How much have you spent on certs?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 7 Aug 2006 20:43

*Hide this post from your husband lol* How much does everyone think they've spent on certs since they began? Ive spent approx £105 in 17 months. Not nearly as much as some people, but I suspect that figure will rapidly grow! Its fast becoming an addiction of sorts!

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 7 Aug 2006 20:55

I dread to think. Have bought loads - and still have many to get... omg, just counted and have over 100 certs that have been bought., (I stopped at 1 hundred.. and was going to order 4 more tonight)

Ann

Ann Report 7 Aug 2006 20:57

Glad I am not the only one having to hide things from hubby. He found my certs file the other day & counted them- 28!!! He was annoyed at how much that totalled, but what he does not know is that was only some of the certs, I have another file with more that he did not see. However, I am not into designer clothes or expensive perfume, and I don't nag him to take me out as I am happy staying in and doing my reseach, so I am still good value for money as a wife- deserve the odd splurge on certifcates don't I?

Jennie

Jennie Report 7 Aug 2006 20:58

I have only been ordering certificates for about the last month and have spent £49 already. Better calm down else bank account will soon be at zero. Jen

Heather

Heather Report 7 Aug 2006 21:02

Nothing, mine are all supplied free as part of the Government's family records service. (So my hubby thinks anyway) ;}

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 7 Aug 2006 21:04

Hi All, I've spent quite a lot but I tell myself that it's not as much as a few nights a week down the pub. I rarely drink, I don't bet on the horses and each certificate is the cost of approximately 30 cigarettes. I buy certificates. Paul

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Aug 2006 21:07

erm, i have approx 50 certs i have brought (£350) hubby has nothing to say about it, is my money (well plastic pal) and I dont expect him to be that interested anyway LOL, ok yes, he hears me ranting about so and so, but i think it goes in one ear and out 'tother Julie

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 7 Aug 2006 21:10

so far my husband still thinks they are free,dont know why I should feel guilty anyway, its a innocent enough hobby isnt it ???

English Bob

English Bob Report 7 Aug 2006 21:53

Hornets nest and stick?? I just love women who cheat on their old fellers! LOL lots! Bob, Ps. My missus's ancenstry stopped at Grandad, cert to prove, no dad given, naughty mummy, loyal though. Bob

Gary

Gary Report 7 Aug 2006 22:12

i have not brought any for 2 months, but previous to that for about 2 years, i got between 10 and 20 a month.

RStar

RStar Report 8 Aug 2006 10:21

Lol Heather!!!

babs123

babs123 Report 8 Aug 2006 11:06

Just counted mine......... V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V ...and just picked myself off the floor!! good job OH hasn't counted them........yet Kat

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 8 Aug 2006 11:33

OMG!!! I sooooo wish you hadnt asked that question because it just made me go and check out how much I have spent!! Its defo a 4 figure number over 3 years! Ahhh well its my money, havent kept a thing from better half and kids havent gone without. Shaz

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 8 Aug 2006 12:10

yes, mine is a four figure number, too! Could have bought a little car for that amount...but then I don't enjoy driving half as much as I do researching my family tree LOL

Karen

Karen Report 8 Aug 2006 12:28

I only used to limit myself to £35 per month (bmd for one set of ancestors), but I counted the other day, and in the last 3 weeks or so, have already spent £91 this month! Whoops! Like has been said by many, I dont drink or smoke, nor do I spend my life in a club, and to me it is worth every penny. They are all stored in binders and will be a present to one day hand down to my children, who I will no doubt make as obsessed with the subject as i am!!

Daniel

Daniel Report 8 Aug 2006 12:37

I am not worried about how many certificates I have its more so how many incorrect certificates I have, last count was 54. Would love to send them to someone who belongs to them.

Dea

Dea Report 8 Aug 2006 16:04

Add them to Honey Rum's thread David, or as you have SSSooo many, perhaps it's just worth putting a list up of your own. It makes you feel so much better if you can find someone to pass them on to - I only have one wrong one, but managed to find 2 grateful owners for it. Dea x

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 8 Aug 2006 16:08

hiya, daniel, if you have so many wrong certs, have you tried doing a search on names within GR to see if there are any possibles?? you could pm individuals and pass them on that way, i know it seems a longwinded way of doing it, but maybe it would pay off??? Julie

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 8 Aug 2006 16:23

Cost of certs is my excuse for a short break away - 20 PR marriage photocopies, and the accomodation comes free! Jay

Dea

Dea Report 8 Aug 2006 16:45

That's exactly what I did Julie and I found 2 people who wanted them. - Made me feel much better, especially as I had asked for a check on father's name on the certs but GRO, in their wisdom, sent me both anyway, even though only one matched. !!! Didn't mind wasting the extra money as I could pass them on to someone else. Dea x