Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I find this awfully upsetting

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hooch

hooch Report 12 Aug 2006 23:37

That the council in Nottingham remove bodies from graveyards then build on the site :((((((((((((((((((( to me its sacrillage (sp?) and I find it deeply upsetting and disturbing why are they allowed to do this??????? its not as though they are building something important (not that I think anything is important enough to disturb a loved ones remains) but they have built things like bloody ice stadium and bloody student accom on 2 burial sites in nottingham. I think its totally morally wrong.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 12 Aug 2006 23:41

hiya Angie. hmmn i know what you mean, alot of places in nottm have been built on trinity square for one, and alot of stuff on waverley st/shakespear st, was formally graveyard as well, just goes to show, nothing is sacred these days, sadly Hugs julie

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 12 Aug 2006 23:46

Hi, Perhaps it's because if you go to any graveyard today that has not had any burials in many years they tend to be rundown or vandalised or worst still both. Was there a 100 year rule, that 100 years after the last burial the ground could be put into other use. We have a park built on one but all the headstones have been preserved and are placed around the perimeter. Paul

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Aug 2006 23:48

I understand your feelings, but most places must be built on top of someone's remains I guess. Usually we just don't know about it. nell

hooch

hooch Report 12 Aug 2006 23:55

nope the stones where not put around the side :( and nope was not vandalised or neglected :( to think that when I snuff it in 100 yrs when some of my rellies try find my grave they find a bloody ice stadium or the like where i was is horrible (i know im being daft I dont know where I get these ideas from mum says my nanna was just like it and saying things like ya not properly married in the eyes of the lord if ya get married in register office) LMAO I did and I said that to my myum she rolled her eyes and said you sound just like my mum oh well

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 13 Aug 2006 00:04

angie, is sad reflection of world we now live in though, look at all factories in lace market, no longer factories, now posh luxury apartments LOL, if only they knew, the blood sweat and tears from peeps slogging guts out in their home, for a pittance of a wage, ironic really, unfortunately, people need somewhere to live, and as you know, alot of places in nottm have undergone serious regeneration, doesnt mean i'd want to live there, however. just glad i live in outskirts not far out of bulwell, (ok well, far enuff) not bulwell thank the lord Julie

Sam

Sam Report 13 Aug 2006 00:07

I know how you feel Angela, the remains of one of my 3xgreat grandfathers are under our local shopping centre :-( The church was built around and preserved but the graveyard was built over. And another church where I know lots of my ancestors were buried lost half of its graveyard when a ring road was put around the town. Sam x

Vicky

Vicky Report 13 Aug 2006 00:39

where I used to live (East Lancs), they built a by-pass right through one graveyard. cant remember exactly when, but probably about 30-35 years ago. given the choice, I think I'd rather be under a block of flats than a busy road...

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 13 Aug 2006 12:01

Normally when a Graveyard or Cemetery is 'decommissioned' the Authorities put public notices up stating their intent well in advance. You then have the option to have your relative disinterred and buried elsewhere. Any graves which appear to be well tended spark off vigorous efforts to contact the relatives. But the sad fact is, many of these graves are totally neglected and 'no-one cares'. I dont particularly think this is sacrilige - after a hundred years or so, they have long since gone on to something better. My late father who died in 2000 is buried in a plot which has a 50 year lease. After that I have the option to renew (but I too will be long gone by then) or the Council can sell the plot on. I'm sure my Dad won't mind (well, he wouldnt have bought the plot if he did, would he?) OC

Keptin

Keptin Report 13 Aug 2006 22:58

Hi, So what do you think would happen in the case of a married couple being burried together 25 years apart. Would the lease be up after 25 years or fifty?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 13 Aug 2006 23:11

Keptin Depends on the terms of the lease! OC

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 14 Aug 2006 00:08

hiya regarding burial plot costs, i think it depends on the council involved, my mum died in 2004, we had her buried as she requested, had to have double depth plot as they only do those now, but is for 75yrs, so maybe it varies from council to council?? Julie

Philip

Philip Report 14 Aug 2006 00:12

wow i had no idea that kind of thing was commen practice. here in the US if they even accidently uncover something such as an Indian burial ground all work halts, remains are properly excavated. If the tribes are lucky they win a fight to replace the remains where they were and halt the build. if they're unlucky they at least get to rebury their ancestors with proper dignaty. What happens to the remains there when a burial site is built on?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 14 Aug 2006 07:58

Philip - The US has the relative luxury of lots of land and 'young' cities - here in the UK, especially in towns and cities, building and rebuilding, including over churches and burial grounds, has been a necessity for centuries.

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 14 Aug 2006 09:11

How do you find out how long the lease is for? I've recently found the graves of some rellies and I would hate to think that I've been putting flowers for them and that they aren't there any more Linda

Pauline

Pauline Report 14 Aug 2006 11:45

My husband who died 4 years ago had very strong views on burials, he was against them in this modern world as he said if we are not careful the whole of Britian would become one huge graveyard. Although we are from the Midlands his ashes are scattered in a very beautiful glen in Scotland. Much better don't you think?

Uncle John

Uncle John Report 14 Aug 2006 11:56

A rellie aged 95 was recently buried with her parents who died 1940s-50s in a cemetery in Glasgow. The parents had a triple-depth grave and there was also space on the headstone for this one to be added. The cemetery was next to a church graveyard where the church has been demolished. J

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Aug 2006 12:33

I own two pieces of this green and pleasant land. My mother is buried in one of them and a daughter in the other. Seems a shame to me that the Powers that Be insist on building in fertile areas. Why don't they stick a few thousand homes on some Grouse Moor somewhere?

Vicky

Vicky Report 14 Aug 2006 12:41

Another thought - I do find this upsetting too - one of my gt grandfathers died in 1930 and I only recently found out where his grave is, and its been neglected for at least the last 40 years because all his children moved away from the area... its a nice headstone & I have a photo taken in the 1950s showing it planted with roses etc etc... I'd hate to think this grave would be removed during my lifetime, as 'only' 76 years ago seems quite recent to me. Another gt grandfather died in 1945, so its not as though we are talking about the distant past, there are people alive today who actually knew these people. I have also recently found out that one branch of my ancestors going back to the 17th century are buried in one particular churchyard. They all have memorial headstones, and I want to visit this church to see them. Of course I don't want to think of them being disturbed, but what if they had no headstones - would I ever have known where they were buried? Names in parish registers just don't evoke the same feelings, do they. Would I even visit this church if there was nothing to look at? On the whole, I think we are getting overly sentimental now. I never knew these people, and in some respects they ARE only names, even if I have their DNA & hair colouring, and some sense of how they lived. We in this era do at least know where many of our rellies are, because of the record keeping over the last 200-400 years or so. But go back 1000 years, and even longer, where are all your rellies buried? you often read of remains being found during excavations for new buildings. Their graves are very often not marked. Just because you can't put a name to these people doesn't stop them being our ancestors too. When these remains are found they are treated with some respect, but they cannot be left in situ, or as an earlier comment pointed out, Britain would be one big graveyard with no room at all for anyone to live. People have been re-using land for millenia. So where do you draw the line?

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 14 Aug 2006 13:07

If you think about it, the houses that we live in are prolly built on what used to be a grave yard hundreds of years ago. I know where I live was once a grave yard going back probably hundreds of years. I really don't think there is much that can be done about it as there would be no land left to build on if they didn't build on where graves once were. Its very sad that people can't be laid to rest and left alone, just look at history programs where the dig up remains and find out about their ancesters. They treat them with as much respect as is possible. More and more people are opting for cremations now instead of burial. Nicola