Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What are the chances - Update 1/9.. Merry it's sor

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 21 Aug 2006 22:13

see below

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 21 Aug 2006 22:13

Never been able to trace my g/g/grandad Henry Fellows - All I have found out is that he was born in 1849 in Birmingham and the first siting I have off him that is certain is the 1881 census he appears in the workhouse in Sheffield, place of birth given as Wolverhampton. I have tried going back to 1871 but could never find him for certain as the name in Birmingham is quiet common. That is until today I searched a trade directory in Sheffield in 1911 and one Wallace Fellows appears - Now Wallace is a name I have seen many times whilst searching, so I decide to look again and Wallace is born in 1849 in Birmingham and has twin brother called - Henry Fellows Then looking again at Wallace he also has a wife and a daughter living in Birmingham in 1901 before he appears in Sheffield trade directory, But their daughter was born in Sheffield in 1893!! Am I making this into something it may not be?? Was Wallace the twin of my 2x great grandad who came to visit him in Sheffield with a preganant wife who gave birth there and then in 1911 they come back to Sheffield to set up home. If I have lost anyone or am just stabbing in the dark - please feel free to shout at me, but this is the first lead I have had in over a year!! And twins run in our family - lol Joanne

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 21 Aug 2006 22:15

Maddies Mate So - can you find Wallace's birth cert? Your man's should be next to it if they are twins! OC

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 21 Aug 2006 22:23

OC I will go look, but it still isn't 100% my man if he is there as I suppose there could be another Henry Fellows and mine isn't the twin to Wallace - don't really think I will ever know to be honest and I may be just stabbing in the dark - but this is the first real lead Joanne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2006 22:23

From freebmd............. Name: Wallace Fellows Year of Registration: 1848 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Birmingham (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire Volume: 16 Page: [35]46 AND........... Name: Henry Fellows Year of Registration: 1848 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Birmingham (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire Volume: 16 Page: 346 Reg

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 21 Aug 2006 22:24

what about this for a find? the good old IGI Wallace Fellows Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 1849 Birmingham, Warwick, England Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: John Fellows Family Mother: Elizabeth bear with me a mo

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 21 Aug 2006 22:25

Where did you get the information that Wallace had a twin brother? OC

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 21 Aug 2006 22:25

Henry Fellows Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 1849 Birmingham, Warwick, England Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: John Fellows Family Mother: Elizabeth

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 21 Aug 2006 22:27

Both names show page as xv1 346 on image Jim

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 21 Aug 2006 22:28

1851. possibly Elizabeth Fellows John abt 1817 Birmingham Wife Birmingham Warwickshire Henry Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1849 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire James Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1841 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire John Fellows Elizabeth abt 1819 Birmingham Head Birmingham Warwickshire John Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1840 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire Samuel Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1847 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire Thomas Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1845 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire Wallace Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1849 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire William Fellows John, Elizabeth abt 1843 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire

Merry

Merry Report 21 Aug 2006 22:28

I'm not sure if I've missed something in your tale, but is this where you got the twins thing from? IGI 11. Wallace Fellows - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 1849 Birmingham, Warwick, England 12. Henry Fellows - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 1849 Birmingham, Warwick, England 13. Edwin Fellows - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 1851 Birmingham, Warwick, England Children of John and Elizabeth fellows. I'm afraid these are submitted IGI entries and are probably just guestimates of years of birth :o(( Will look for Edwin on the census, though - rarer name!! Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 21 Aug 2006 22:29

You could try for the Workhouse Admissions register - there may be some comment on there which will help you to identify his origins. Where's Wallace in 1881 by the way? OC

Merry

Merry Report 21 Aug 2006 22:30

But, then..................!! I was just going to post the census Jess already posted!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Aug 2006 22:30

Did Henry Fellows marry? What was his fathers details from his marriage cert? Merry

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Aug 2006 22:34

Wallace and Henry are shown as twins on the 1851 census. Was your Henry's father John, ... before we jump to conclusions? Gwyn

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 21 Aug 2006 22:36

Wow, only nipped off for a search around and coame back to all this Right Henry ( Harry ) Fellows my 2x great grandad first appears in Sheffield in 1881 in the workhouse ( his children are living with a lady whom becomes his wife later) Henry is a bit of a mystery - prior to 1881 I can't find him, his children Emma 1868 Wolverhampton, Henry ( Harry ) 1874 Wolverhampton or Charlotte 1879 Sheffield or their Mother So finding out anything before this date has been a no go until I stumble across Wallace today - Who has a twin called Henry ( same year of birth as mine) and both have the Wolverhampton and Sheffield connection! I have no other info on my Henry except going forward from 1881 so hence my problem, Can't even find a wife to confirm Fathers name by sending for a cert. Joanne

Beverly

Beverly Report 21 Aug 2006 22:48

Dear all, sorry just jumped on this thread to see if I could help, but you have Merry and Jess et al so all sorted!! Still looking for my Edward, I see that you have mentioned a trade directory and a workhouse site, I have never been able to find him since 1909 and he was Railway Porter, would you advise anywhere else?? Sorry for jumping on this thread, curiousity! X

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 21 Aug 2006 22:54

Hi The trade directory I used was for Sheffield in is on the Sheffield Indexers website. Update on Fellows - Wallace was in Sheffield in 1871 with his first wife and children, the one I have found him with in 1901 is his second wife and daughter. Will keep pluggin away and see if I can find a match - but knowing my luck there will be two Henry Fellows and the twin to Wallace won't be mine Thanks everyone for trying Joanne

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Aug 2006 22:54

Have you found the marriage of Harry to the later wife( who children were with in census)? If so, who is his father? It doesn't matter which of his marriages we consider, to find his parent. Gwyn

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 21 Aug 2006 23:00

No marriage to later wife He ste up home with her form what I can see, she changes the name of the child she already has to his name and together they have two more She is Emma Hall born 1849 in Sheffield and her son in 1881 is Frank Hall who later becomes a Fellows So again I hit a brick wall Joanne