Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 Nov 2006 13:15

Hi Everyone I just thought as Remembrance Day is approaching it might be nice if a thread was started so that we could list our family members who are no longer with us. Those who gave their lives, and in some conflicts still giving their lives for us, so that we can enjoy a free and better life. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. I think the above poem says it all really. Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 Nov 2006 13:18

Hi My Great Uncles Conflict :WW1 Ellis Spencer died 1917 aged 36 years (Australian Trench Mortar Battery) and his younger brother Frank who died aged 21 years in 1916(Cheshire Regiment). Frank had only married 3 months before he was killed . We remember them Cheryl

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Nov 2006 13:26

Grandfather died 1942 when mother aged 6. Rear-gunner in Wellington bomber sent to lay mines in the North Sea - all in the plane died/drowned when it was shot down. With grateful thanks to Dutch population who rescued the bodies when they were washed up and gave them a decent burial in the cemetery.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2006 13:27

My great-uncle, who died in Mesopotamia (Iraq):- Corporal ALEC JOHN KILL, aged 25, Wiltshire Regiment. Died 22nd November, 1915 Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Nov 2006 13:41

Stanley Leadsom - Killed in action 1916 WW1 Ernest Fishlock - killed in Egypt 1915 WW1

Marie

Marie Report 8 Nov 2006 13:59

John Middlege; born Litcham Norfolk. died at Cambrai. Nov 1917.aged 32. M

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Nov 2006 14:14

In rememberance of my great-grandfather... Charles Edwards,died 7 Nov 1914,aged 22. Leaving a wife and 4 year old daughter. xxx Sandra.

Potty

Potty Report 8 Nov 2006 14:52

Remembering my uncle, Horace Postans, Norfolk Regiment, killed 16th June 1918, aged19, buried in Tannay British Cemetery, Thiennes, France

Miriam

Miriam Report 8 Nov 2006 15:16

Remembering with pride: - Private Joseph McGreaves, Cheshire Regiment. Died 30/12/1917 in Egypt. Buried in Egypt.

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 8 Nov 2006 15:21

Remembering my husbands grandad James Dower Royal Engineers who died on 6th july 1918 aged 48 buried at kilbride cemetery. also my uncle George who served in the army in ww2 was killed in 1944. hazelx

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 8 Nov 2006 15:54

The Green Fields of France Well how do you do, Private William McBride Do you mind if I sit here down by your grave side? A rest for awhile in the warm summer sun, I've been walking all day and I'm nearly done. And I see by your gravestone that you were only 19 when you joined the glorious fallen in 1916. Well, I hope you died quick and I hope you died clean Or, William McBride, was it slow and obscene? CHORUS: Did they beat the drum slowly? did they sound the pipes lowly? Did the rifles fire o'er ye as they lowered you down? Did the bugle sing 'The Last Post' in chorus? Did the pipes play 'The Flowers o' the Forest'? And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind? In some loyal heart is your memory enshrined And though you died back in 1916 To that loyal heart are you always 19. Or are you just a stranger without even a name Forever enclosed behind some glass-pane In an old photograph torn and tattered and stained And fading to yellow in a brown leather frame? Well, the sun it shines down on these green fields of France, The warm wind blows gently and the red poppies dance. The trenches are vanished now under the plough No gas, no barbed wire, no guns firing now. But here in this graveyard it is still No Man's Land And the countless white crosses in mute witness stand. To man's blind indifference to his fellow man And a whole generation that was butchered and downed. And I can't help but wonder now Willie McBride Do all those who lie here know why they died? Did you really believe them when they told you the cause? Did you really believe them that this war would end war? The suffering, the sorrow, some the glory, the shame - The killing and dying - it was all done in vain. For Willie McBride, it's all happened again And again, and again, and again, and again. Did they beat the drum slowly? did they sound the pipe lowly? Did the rifles fire o'er ye as they lowered you down? Did the bugle sing 'The Last Post' in chorus? Did the pipes play 'The Flowers o' the Forest'?

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 8 Nov 2006 15:55

www.greatwar.nl see this site the horrors of war. In memory of all who lost their lives.

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 8 Nov 2006 15:58

17-year-old Herta Loebenstein, who fled Nazi Germany for safety in South London in 1939, we set out to find what became of the Jewish teenager................................ Herta's story emerged when a suitcase belonging to her was found recently at a house in Half Moon Lane, Herne Hill, where she worked as a servant................................ It was full of letters and photographs from her family in Germany and her fiance? Heinz Boley in New York.................... Staff at Lambeth Archives who catalogued the discovery knew Herta had planned to take a ship across the Atlantic to join Heinz. but sadly there was to be no happy ending..................................... A researcher found Herta on a website for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission - she had been killed in an air raid during the Blitz of 1940 and buried in Camberwell................................. The full entry reads: 'In memory of civilian Hertha Loebenstein. Civilian war dead who died age 20 on 13 September 1940...................... 'German refugee; of 72 Half Moon Lane. Daughter of Charles Loebenstein, of Hanau, Main, Germany........................... 'Injured 12 September 1940, at 72 Half Moon Lane; died at Dulwich Hospital. Remembered with honour, Camberwell Metropolitan

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Nov 2006 16:10

My mum's adored cousin: Pilot Officer John Allen Ovens, RCAF, November 7, 1943, age 26 I wish we could have known you.

Sharon

Sharon Report 8 Nov 2006 16:10

Remembering my great uncle Frederick Smith from Preston Lancashire The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Died 30/07/1917 aged 18 YPRES Menin Gate memorial and to those in my family I have not yet traced God Bless Sharon

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 8 Nov 2006 16:27

I shall be wearing my poppy with pride in honour of all the fallen, but especially my uncle Mick (WW1) my cousin John (WW2) my soulmate Jonno (Northern Ireland) RIP all the fallen, wherever and whenever, regardless of nationality Jay

Pam

Pam Report 8 Nov 2006 16:31

Remembering my dads 2 brothers killed in WW2 l have yet to find their names but l will one day so we can remember them properly and to give them their rightfull place on the family tree. Pam

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 8 Nov 2006 20:34

My grandad's uncles: brothers aged 19 and 21, who died within days of each other John Coates Poole, of Rotherhithe Royal Garrison Artillery enlisted Stratford, Essex Service No: 29297 Rank: Gunner Theatre of war: France and Flanders Killed in action 28 July 1916 George William Poole, of Rotherhithe enlisted Camberwell Service No: L/15196 Rank: Gunner Theatre of war: France and Flanders Died of wounds 23 July 1916

Carol

Carol Report 8 Nov 2006 20:49

My Great Uncle Arthur Sheppard of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action in WWI at the Battle of the Somme in France 18 July 1916 age 26. Carol

Beverly

Beverly Report 8 Nov 2006 20:50

What an amazing thread, it brings tears to my eyes. Well thought. Hugs. x