Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For the PEDANTS of GR

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 28 Jan 2007 22:28

I don't mean to be rude, but was just wondering why some people choose to write their messages all in capitals? I've noticed quite a few messages like it recently and I just find them really difficult to read.... capitals are for the start of sentences/names etc and also maybe for emphasising certain words (especially useful for names on genealogy sites) but i find writing a whole message in them is a bit like shouting! Any ideas? Laura PS - and no offence meant! I'm just wondering!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Jan 2007 22:37

Some people simply forget to remove caps lock, but there are a couple - at least - of visually impaired members who can only see their own messages if they use capitals. There are also those who just don't realise............ Reg

Laura

Laura Report 28 Jan 2007 22:38

I never thought about the visually impaired side of it, I guess that could be a reason! Thanks Reg, Laura x

Anne

Anne Report 28 Jan 2007 22:38

LOL, Laura - I love a pedant, just like me :-)) I sometimes suspect they don't know how to turn the caps lock off!! But the little box to write in is so small it must be difficult if you have poor sight. Anne

Laura

Laura Report 28 Jan 2007 22:47

Pedant? Moi? lol I'm awful. Have you read the book Eats Shoots and Leaves? Oh it's excellent. I think part of it is my being a teacher, but little things like apostrophes get me too. Mind you, then I have half a bottle of wine, find something new and post on here and you can't even understand what I've written, so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocritical pedant!!! Laura x

Anne

Anne Report 28 Jan 2007 23:21

Oh don't get me started on apostrophes, LOL!!! Another thing that gets me is how some people don't seem to read back through what they have written before they press the send button. For me its essential as I'm always hitting the wrong keys - I type fast but very badly!! I'm not talking about spelling here (I know that can be hard for some) but its the obvious typos even in the title that annoy me. Oooops! I'll get back in my hole now! Must get that book, I'm always seeing it recommended. Anne

Paul

Paul Report 29 Jan 2007 04:27

A message in capitals IS SHOUTING!!! These often contain no full stops or paragraphs as well and are therefore doubly hard to read. Whilst there may be the odd visually impaired user who can't change the screen resolution on their PC, it strikes me as just laziness for the majority. As a pedant I can't help screaming when people don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their' as well.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 29 Jan 2007 09:00

What about 'a hotel' or 'an hotel' , or ' an historic ' as used by BBC news readers ? Apostrophes get me sometimes. In handwriting block capitals is better than unreadable scrawl, but not in type. Bob

Laura

Laura Report 29 Jan 2007 14:41

In a recent teacher's magazine (the TES) there was another mag with an article which in the heading had 'an' followed by hero..... ARGH! I notice the Americans do this a lot and it winds me up. We only use an when followed by a vowel! grrr. their/there - another one Oh dear, this certainly is a thread for the pedants, I may even change the title! lol

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 29 Jan 2007 14:53

*pedant arrives on thread* It depends whether the 'h' is silent in pronunciation or not. The Oxford Dictionary gives either for the pronunciation of the word hotel - hotel or otel. So in speech, you should either say 'A hotel' or 'An otel' - both are correct. An Hotel is incorrect! OC

Xxxxxx

Xxxxxx Report 29 Jan 2007 14:57

what about 'of' as in - must of had a cold... could of done better ....(saw that on a school report) would of been .... will of done.... etc etc etc instead of 'have' grouse over, and so I must go to 'of' a cup of coffee lol

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jan 2007 15:18

One which makes me seethe is when people use 'less' instead of 'fewer'. 'There were less people there today than yesterday'..........so had they all lost weight overnight? Reg

Horatia

Horatia Report 29 Jan 2007 15:35

I've noticed just lately that many people will write 'loose' instead of 'lose'. That one really bugs me! ;-) Cheers, Horatia

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jan 2007 15:49

And how about those.........on here........who put 'farther' for the male parent!! Reg

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Jan 2007 16:10

Sorry Paul Webber... But Capitals doesn't neccessarily mean someone is SHOUTING. There is at least one person on these boards who posts in Capitals because she is sight impaired and many members post their replies, to her, in Capitals because they are aware of that. Yes the responses to her look a bit strange......Some capitals, some normal case ........But everyone is interacting.....And when someone makes the odd comment about 'shouting' it is very easily sorted out. Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jan 2007 16:13

I made the point, in my first response, about visually impaired GR members.......... Reg

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Jan 2007 16:37

Reggie Sorry if you thought I was 'having a go' at you.....Never intended :) Paul Re thinking my posting to you I realise it may have looked as as I may also have been 'having a go at you'......All I was trying to point out is that sometimes there are reasons WHY someone posts as they do. Apologies to both of you but I hope you both understand where I was coming from :) Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jan 2007 16:43

Chris The thought never crossed my mind.......... Reg

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 29 Jan 2007 17:11

Well, this pedant has just been forced to throw a cushion at the TV. Looking at Family Tree on Channel 4, two different posters have written 'Were there any siblings of this marriage?' NO - there weren't - your siblings are your brothers and sisters, NOT your children! OC

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Jan 2007 17:34

Reggie Thanks for that.... I can sleep tonight knowing I haven't mistakenly (sp?) upsept someone....As nice as you :))) Chris