Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help finding certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 11 Feb 2007 22:02

I am searchingfor the marriage cert' of Alfred Clay to Catherine Gibbard around 1882 London. I have found them on 1901 census at Chapel Mews London with their children Eden - 1883 Maggie - 1887 Thomas - 1890 Julia - 1899 So far I have only been able to find Julia's birth cert' and it's been driving me crazy, can anyone help please !

Penny

Penny Report 11 Feb 2007 22:15

catherine was born in ireland - maybe they married there? have you found her in her maiden name anywhere on census? 1901 for ref Alfred Clay 40 Grays Ine Rd, London, England Catherine Clay 39 ireland Eden Clay 15 Drury Lane, London, England Julia Clay 1 Chapel News, London, England Maggie Clay 13 Drury Lane, London, England Thomas Clay 11 Drury Lane, London, England

Penny

Penny Report 11 Feb 2007 22:27

where has her maiden name come from - how do you know it?

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 11 Feb 2007 22:28

Hi Ann, I have no idea where to look for marriages in Ireland and I haven't found her on any other census for certain, the only one that came near was 1871 Hart St, London James Gibbard Sally gibbard Catrey Gibbard, thought Catrey might have been a shorter version of Catherine !

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 11 Feb 2007 22:37

On their daughter Julia's birth cert it has father Alfred Clay, mother Catherine Clay,formerly Gibbard. I take it this was her maiden name ??? Or maybe she had been married before. Also she is supposed to be related to my g. grandmother Mary Gibbard as Catherine Clay registered Mary's death in 1922 and it says relationship to deceased, Sister. However Mary was suposed to have been the widow of John Gibbard, but I have never found a marriage cert for them !

Penny

Penny Report 11 Feb 2007 22:39

clutching at straws somewhat...cant find a lot else! Edward John Abbott 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Camberwell (1837-1919) London, Surrey Alfred Clay 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Camberwell (1837-1919) London, Surrey Ellen Forrest 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Camberwell (1837-1919) London, Surrey Katherine Nicholson 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Camberwell (1837-1919)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Feb 2007 22:43

Maybe she was a widow when she married Alfred, so a different surname. Gwyn

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Feb 2007 10:46

Hi Ann, I did look at that one but dont think it's the same person, this is proving very difficult,like I say , driving me crazy, lol.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Feb 2007 21:46

I f a woman has been married twice and has a child in second marriage would her maiden name be on the childs birth cert or her previous married name ??

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2007 21:57

Her maiden name. On a second marriage cert she should marry in her married name but put formerly and give her maiden name - plus you can see from her dads name what her maiden name should be if she is not too bright and puts single instead of widow.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Feb 2007 22:11

Thanks Heather, still can't find her marriage cert though or her birth cert, proving a difficult one this is.

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2007 22:46

Yours must be sticklers, Ive never had them bother with a previous married name on birth certs with my lot. In fact some havent even bothered on marriage certs.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Feb 2007 22:50

Well I reckon mine didn't even bother getting married !! I can't find any certificates for any of them, other than one of the childs birth and my g.grandmothers death cert...and I thought I came from a resectable family, lol. Yes Eden is unusal but can't find her anywhere , hope it's been transcribed correctly !

Helen

Helen Report 12 Feb 2007 22:51

Hi Lorraine If a woman has been married twice and has a child by her second marriage both her previous married name AND her maiden name should be on the child's birth certificate. So mother's name is given for example as 'Ann Smith late Jones formerly Brown' - where Smith is her current married name, Jones is her first married name and Brown is her maiden name. I have a few like this in my certificates collection (from England and Wales). Hope this helps Helen

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2007 22:57

Eden is such an unusual name - youd think it would leap out.

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2007 22:58

And so weird, just realised, such EXACT address on the 1901??? I dont think it is Eden on the image - but cant make out - not Ellen I dont think. Have you found this lot in any previous census record?

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Feb 2007 23:03

Yes Heather really weird, the rest of my tree has gone like clockwork, but these two people have been driving me mad for about 2 years now, I wish the 1911 census was available now as I'm sure that would throw some light on it all.

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2007 23:11

10 year gap before last kiddie. The exact address of place of birth is blowing my mind, Ive never seen that before.

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2007 23:14

Would you mind if I pass this one over to cleverer people than me on another site?

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Feb 2007 23:37

Hi Heather, no not at all, that would be really kind of you, thanks x