Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 10:14

hi im trying to find a donald mcleod was born in 1806 hit brick wall still new to this looked on scotlands people but nothing come up thankyou for any suggestions

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 May 2007 10:25

Richard according to the IGI on the familysearch site there are 60 Donald Mcleod/Macleod's born between 1804-1808 do you have any other info to narrow it down? Georgina.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 May 2007 10:44

Without a place of birth, finding him will be tricky. Presumably, you know more about him than just his name and birth year....share the details with us, and maybe we will be able to help you. Reg

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 10:51

hi thankyou all i no is doald mcloed1806 in sutherland

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 10:52

soz assynt is it? like i said new to this thanks for replying

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 9 May 2007 10:56

What about children and other family? Have you got descendants for him? How do you know about him? Any little fact will help, and then we can work backwards.

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 10:57

all i no he was married to a margaret roberston in 1832 had 4 children hugh 18 donald 1837 john1838 thomas 1841 ive manage to find all the childrens records but thomas cant find him in the 1850 onwards cenus so gather he might died but cant find death record either i no margaret was born in 1816 as well trying to find out who donalds parents were

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 10:57

no dont sound rude prob cos didnt explain my self properly buit thanks

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 May 2007 10:58

Richard, This is going to sound rude, but it is not meant to be, but at the moment it sounds as if you have pulled a name out of a hat and decided to research that person. You must have arrived at this name and approx birth year by some sort of research. Please explain how you have researched this person so far. Maureen (Who will probably get a few remarks about my comments)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 May 2007 11:07

The IGI appears to be back in working order.......... can I suggest that you go to www.familysearch.org and check to see if any info about this person is on there......... Reg

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 May 2007 11:09

1841 is this the family? Name: Donald McLeod Age: 35 Estimated birth year: abt 1806 Gender: Male Where born: Sutherland, Scotland Civil parish: Assynt County: Sutherland Address: Achnacarnan Occupation: Sal Fisher Parish Number: 44 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Donald McLeod 35 Donald McLeod 4 Hugh McLeod 8 John McLeod 3 Margaret McLeod 25 Thomas McLeod 3 Mo Maureen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 May 2007 11:15

You are aware, I'm sure, that the 1841 census rounded down the ages of over-15's............ Reg

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 11:17

yes maureen

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 11:20

no i wasnt!!!

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 May 2007 11:23

This is his marriage... MARGT. ROBERTSON Female Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: Marriages: Spouse: DONALD MCLEOD Marriage: 16 FEB 1832 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland Georgina.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 May 2007 11:33

Were there any more children? 1851 just wondering about this entry !! Name: Donald McLeod Age: 39 Estimated birth year: abt 1812 Relationship: Head Spouse's name: Peggy Gender: Male Where born: Assynt, Sutherland Parish Number: 44 Civil parish: Assynt Town: Culkine County: Sutherland Address: Culkine Occupation: Boat Carpenter ED: 11 Page: 8 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 26 Line: 1 Roll: CSSCT1851_11 Household Members: Name Age Alexr McLeod 10 Ann McLeod 8 Donald McLeod 39 Issabella McLeod 6 Janet McLeod 1 Mo John McLeod 12 Kenneth McLeod 2 Peggy McLeod 35 William McLeod 4 Maureen

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 11:52

ty maureen for help how do i find donalds mum dad now (dont mean to sound thick) lol but cant find donald birth entry 1806

Richard

Richard Report 9 May 2007 11:53

im not to sure dont think so ?

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 May 2007 12:23

Richard if Donald died in scotland after 1855 his parents will be named on his death certificate. Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 May 2007 12:35

Possible birth... DOND. MC LEOD Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: 22 MAR 1807 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland Death: Burial: Parents: Father: JOHN MC LEOD Mother: MARGT. MC LEOD Georgina.