Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth record incorrectly transcribed

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Jan 2014 21:30

Hello,

Whilst researching my family tree I have noticed a couple of record transcribed incorrectly, this is particularly important to me as my Granny spent her life correcting people that her name is Charmian not Charmain which is exactly what has been transcribed.

Does anyone know where or who I can let know this so that it can be corrected?

Many thanks

Catherine

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Jan 2014 21:57

Which site are you using?

Rose

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Jan 2014 22:02

Genes Reunited. The original version is typed and clearly has her name spelt correctly it's just be re-typed incorrectly?

Catherine

jax

jax Report 21 Jan 2014 22:32

Is it transcribed correctly on Freebmd?

Also if it transcribed incorrectly on here, then it is more than likely the same on Find my past

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jan 2014 09:04

Genes don't transcribe they take the info from another source maybe FMP ,if they. don,t give you the option to add alternative info them they can't do any corrections I,m afraid

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2014 09:24

You can correct errors on freebmd, FMP and Ancestry, providing you can demonstrate to them that it is the transcription which is a fault, and not the INDEX

You cannot alter the index.

In doubt that GR offer the facility, as they don't do any transcribing -they only use records provided by FMP

So.............submit your correction on the sites where it can be done, and at least you will know that the info is accurate on the sites which are accessible to ALL.

The take-up of record searches on GR is a drop in the ocean..........almost everyone uses the other sites.........

Kense

Kense Report 22 Jan 2014 09:25

If you click on 'HELP' and then 'Records' (which is under 'Complete FAQ Listing') and then 'Reporting errors with records' it will tell you what to do. The email address is [email protected]

The text of that FAQ is

If you see an error in one of our records please send the full details to our support team. We need to know:

Which record set the error is in, e.g. the 1871 census
Details of the error, e.g. how a name has been mis-transcribed
What the correction should be
A link to the image or transcription on the Genes Reunited site

Our support team will pass details of the error on to our technical team who will then correct this.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jan 2014 12:53

The best thing is to check the record on FreeBMD as that is where most Genealogy sites get their records from. So once amended on FreeBMD (it possible see below) then the amendment will follow through to all other sites.

You can see the original and unless the original has been transcribed incorrectly you will not be able to change it.

So if the original shows Charmain, you will not be able to amend it to Charmian.

I know that my granddad was Reginald yet on the 1911 census his father wrote Regniald, so he will be Regniald forever as that is what the original states.

Potty

Potty Report 22 Jan 2014 12:56

Catherine, what exactly do you mean by the "original version"? Her birth cert or on GR's image of the GRO index?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jan 2014 16:23

When our daughter was born in 1958 I was anxious for hubby to register her birth asap. He did go to the register office when she was 3 days old but was told he couldnt register her then as they hadnt had the papers through from the hospital and to come back .

He was a shift worker so it was 5 days till he could get back to them I was still in hospital cos then you stayed in till 14 days after the birth .

Well he registered her but didnt notice they spelt my maiden name wrong . I did ring them but was told I had to make an appointment and come in person with documents of proof .

As a very young mum who was up to her eyes in feeding .shopping , housework etc I really couldnt fit in between feeds a bus ride of 40mins both ways to make any early appointment . so our daughters birth cert STILL has my maiden name incorrectly spelt on it

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Jan 2014 23:21

Thank you everyone for your replies, I will follow the instructions given and hopefully my Granny can be recorded as the correct name forever more :)

I believe it is GRs image of the GRO index (can't believe I found over 500 people for my family tree and didn't know what that stood for!), the image has her name spelt correctly it's just on the transcription they have the letters the wrong way round. I have checked on Find My Past and Ancestry and it's transcribed incorrectly there too so I will follow your advice there too. Unfortunately she was born in 1927 so she isn't available from FreeBMD yet.

Thank you all for your help :)

Shirley - I'm sorry to hear that, must be very frustrating when you even let them know straight away! You would think they would want to help you correct an official document. You'll have to pass the story down the generations so they all know the truth!!

Catherine

jax

jax Report 22 Jan 2014 23:30

Freebmd is almost complete up until 1970ish

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/progressB.shtml#y1910

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Jan 2014 08:07

Sounds like you are using the freebmd on other sites like ancestry that only go up to 1915? Births 1837 – 1915 (transcribed by FreeBMD)

If you go to the actual FreeBMD web site they are up to 1960/70 with original images and you can also use the site to search images up to around 1984ish

use this link http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

and this for the years that have not been transcribed yet, http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

Roy

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jan 2014 09:02

Only one quarter post-1969 is essentially complete on FreeBMD, namely:
Births Mar 1970 (>99%)

60% of quarters from the 1960s are essentially complete, and the only earlier incomplete quarters are:
Births Jun 1940 (94%) ***
Births Sep 1940 (0%) **************
Births Sep 1943 (81%) **************
Births Dec 1943 (1%) **************
Births Sep 1958 (84%) **************
Births Dec 1958 (0%) **************
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1952 (73%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1952 (0%) *******************
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although all sites transcribe the same records (with varying degrees of precision), FreeBMD has the nicest way of searching marrs. E.g., suppose I knew Denis Thatcher married a Margaret, but I didn't know who. Only FreeBMD will let me search with this info, and immediately find the only post-WW2 marr that fits the info, viz:

Marriages Dec 1951 (>99%)
THATCHER Denis ROBERTS Finsbury 5c 947
ROBERTS Margaret H THATCHER Finsbury 5c 947

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jan 2014 10:20

mgnv

You can do the same search on FMP.....please ensure when you make categorical statements that they are accurate

Civil registration event: Marriage
View the original image
MarriageFinderâ„¢: Denis Thatcher married Margaret H Roberts [?]Name: THATCHER, DenisRegistration district: [?] Finsbury County: LondonYear of registration: 1951Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec Spouse's last name RobertsVolume no: [?] 5C Page no: [?] 947
View the original image
Name: ROBERTS, Margaret HRegistration district: Finsbury County: London Year of registration: 1951 Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-DecSpouse's last name: Thatcher Volume no: 5C Page no: 947

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Jan 2014 05:37

Reggie is correct - you can search in the same way via FMP - sorry for the misinformation.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Jan 2014 07:48

It is also worth knowing the GRO are prepared to amend the Index if it can be shown it differs from the actual register entry.

This is the email I received from them after advising them that both our surnames were miss-spelled on the marriage Index.

"Re: Correction to marriage entry in the Indexes.

Our investigations are now complete and I can confirm that the error with
your marriage entry is just in our Indexes and not on the actual marriage
entry.

I have informed our Receipt & Indexing Department of the error with the
indexes and they will amend our records accordingly in due course.
Unfortunately the amendment will be to our indexes only and will not be
replicated on any web sites owned by private companies.

I trust this resolves the matter for you,"

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 24 Jan 2014 19:07

Potty would you be surprised to know there are precisely 111 Regnialds in 1911 ? :)

I looked at the first one and his parent had indeed written it that way.

But your Regniald doesn't have to be that way forever at Ancestry at least.

just submit 'alternate info' showing 'error in the original' and enter the correct name.

it seems only one Regniald has been corrected that way there, and that one was likely correct in the original, messy handwriting

correcting a bmd record at Ancestry will not change the entry, just add to it, but it becomes searchable both ways

except - if it is before 1916, the info at Ancestry comes from Freebmd and when Freebmd corrects, Ancestry gets a bulk update, so if you submit a correction to Freebmd it will show up on Ancestry eventually, is the theory

meanwhile, you can also put a 'postem' on the record at Freebmd to add your note about the name, which won't change it, but submitting a correction will in a few weeks

oops I just realized it was post 1916 so Freebmd most likely has it right - but it's always good to put postems on Freebmd with info for posterity anyway :-)

and the name is correct at Ancestry, as I worked it out :-)

Potty

Potty Report 25 Jan 2014 11:24

Joonie. bit confused - where have I (or anybody else) mentioned a Regniald?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jan 2014 12:47

Here....................

DazedConfused Report 22 Jan 2014 12:53
The best thing is to check the record on FreeBMD as that is where most Genealogy sites get their records from. So once amended on FreeBMD (it possible see below) then the amendment will follow through to all other sites.

You can see the original and unless the original has been transcribed incorrectly you will not be able to change it.

So if the original shows Charmain, you will not be able to amend it to Charmian.

I know that my granddad was Reginald yet on the 1911 census his father wrote Regniald, so he will be Regniald forever as that is what the original states.