Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO sorted thank you all

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 13:49

I have tried to apply for a birth cert useing year of event and qtr but they still want to know full date of birth which i dont have any way round this. the year is 1971.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 25 May 2010 13:58

Do you have the reference numbers? Have you clicked yes on the first page ?

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 14:09

hi lindsey and jonesey thank you for your reply the only reason i need this cert is to confirm mothers madien name as i cant find marriege cert for her she prob did not marry thank you

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 May 2010 14:09

From GRO
Ordering online

Q8. What certificates can I order online?
You can order certificates online for birth, death, marriage, civil partnership and adoption events registered in England and Wales and for certain British Nationals who were born, married or died overseas. You can also order specially designed marriage certificates for silver, ruby, golden and diamond wedding anniversaries.

For births, marriages and deaths, you may apply online for any certificate if you have the full GRO index reference. In the case of events in the last 50 years you will be prompted to supply further details as you complete the online application form. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 14:12

thanks sat nav ah well back to the drawing board looks like his mother will remain un known.

Mary J

Mary J Report 25 May 2010 14:17

I have obtained certificates from the registry office local to the area that I was not able to get from GRO. In my case that was Dudley & Stourbridge but it might be worth you ringing the 1 relevant to you and ask. I have both birth and death from the late 60's onward.

Mary J

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 14:21

hi mary j i think two great minds think alike i was just thinking maybe i should ring the register office and see if i could get it that way.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 25 May 2010 14:24

Hi Michael,

You said "the only reason i need this cert is to confirm mothers madien name as i cant find marriege cert for her she prob did not marry "

If you have the reference for the birth doesn't that show mmn.

Christine

RobG

RobG Report 25 May 2010 14:27

Michael,
Although I would always recommend getting certs, in this case if you are only really after the mothers maiden name, this should be shown in the indexes for the 1971 era.

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 14:31

hi christine it does show the month but they want the actual date i/e 21 mm, year which i dont have.

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 14:33

hi rob g not sure what you mean by the indexes for 1971 era?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 25 May 2010 14:38

I don't mean on the GRO site.

Have you found the birth registration on Ancestry or Findmypast?

If you have that will show the mother's maiden name.

Christine

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 14:45

hi christine i have looked on ancestry but it does not show mother i dont have a sub for find my pasy. michael2

RobG

RobG Report 25 May 2010 14:53

Michael,

If you are trying to ordering the cert via GRO you must have their reference number (usually something of the format like 2b 123). If you have that then you must have found it in the indexes (on something like Ancestry or Findmypast). Well before 1971 (around 1911 I think), they started to include the mothers maiden name.
You say that you've looked on ancestry but it doesn't have the mothers maiden name. Do you think that because under the MMN column, it repeats the father's surname? If so, that either means that both parents' birth names were the same, or that the mother did not name the father.
Hope this helps (difficult to be more precise without knowing the details)

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 15:00

hi rod have pm,d you. michael2

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 May 2010 15:12

This is a birth from 1971
Alan John Renyard Jan Feb Mar 1971 St Marylebne Greater London, Middlesex
Now click "view record"
Name: Alan John Renyard
Mother's Maiden Surname: Steward <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1971
Registration district: St Marylebne
Registration county: Greater London, Middlesex
Volume Number: 5d
Page Number: 3021

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 May 2010 15:27

If the mothes maiden name is the same as the childs surname on the GRO record ,this usually means the child was illigitmate

RobG

RobG Report 25 May 2010 15:52

OK. Michael PMed me.

Michael - the reason we were all wary of asking too many questions was because the date was so recent, it would probably have referred to a living person. However...

Michael PMed the details to me and it seems to refer to a 1871 birth, not 1971.
That being the case, I will include the details here, as I'm sure others can give more info.
The birth details given by Michael are Frederick Edward Togwell born sept qtr 1d-820 in Woolwich. No matching 1971 birth visible (if I'm wrong and have missed it, please let me know and I'll delete this post PDQ), however there is one matching for 1871. (Michael - 1871 was before mothers maiden names were included in the index)
Given this, Ancestry has a possible baptism for a Frederick Edward Togwell in St.Mary Magdelane Woolwich on 22/10/1871 to a William and Unity Togwell. They appear to reside at 31 Kidd Street (please check road name, as writing quite flowery!!)
On from this, there is a possible 1864 marriage in Greenwich of Willaim Togwell to a Unity Bilsland (I'll leave you to look at that, as you say you have Ancestry). However her status is widow, so this will be her first husbands name. Her father is down as Barnett, as are the two witnesses, so this is likely to be her birth name.
However all of this should be checked. The cert should be easily obtainable given the date.
Hope this helps.

michael2

michael2 Report 25 May 2010 16:12

hi robg and others first i must say sorry for the typo error of the date. yes rob this is the info i needed i will bookmark it for future ref thank you all for your help and time spent on this i realy must learn to check over details when putting them up thanks again. michael2

RobG

RobG Report 25 May 2010 16:19

Michael,

No problem. We all have fingers that sometimes don't type what we want them to ;-)

Just so you know for future reference regarding what was being said about mother's maiden name on the indexes, try searching in ancestry for a common name name (say John Smith) sometime after 1911. On the index page it will show a column listing this.
Never know when you may need it.

Rob