Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

email problem

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jan 2010 16:58

I foolishly let my email get full so couldn't send or receive messages. Have emptied it out now but it still won't behave! Any ideas what I might do please?
Thank you,
Jan

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Jan 2010 17:02

After you emptied it did you log out and log in again?

Maybe it has to synchronise or something?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jan 2010 17:03

Yes Mrs. Grumpy - several times! Thanks for the suggestion though.
Jan

michael2

michael2 Report 17 Jan 2010 19:39

you could try system restore to when it was last working properly worked for me

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 17 Jan 2010 19:46

do you need to delete your deleted items? I use Outlook and when I delete an e-mail it goes to my deleted items but stays there until I actually empty that folder. Otherwise it still counts to mailbox limit

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 17 Jan 2010 19:55

After deleting your mail, have you emptied the "trash" ?
If not , then you have not fully cleared your email and it could still be there filling up your email allowance.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Jan 2010 20:14

Jan,

It's hard to help without knowing what email program you are using or your ISP.

Are you sure emails are being deleted from the server?

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jan 2010 20:24

Thanks for the replies.

Well. I've deleted loads, including from the deleted items (have very few in there). it's all emptier now than it was before I started having problems!

I don't want to do a system restore as my son has all sorts on here and I'm afraid of messing things up.

I don't know what an email program or ISP is!!

Might just have to ring the helpline after all - thanks for all your suggestions though.

Jan

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 17 Jan 2010 22:41

maybe it needs some time to clear the system if they are also held on a server

(sounds knowledgable but I'm only guessing)

ISP = Internet Service Provider

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Jan 2010 07:48

We need to know who your email provider is and which PC software you are using. Then, hopefully, someone who has a similar set-up may be able to help.

For example, we use Hotmail as our email service and the program on our pc is called Windows Live Mail.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Jan 2010 08:40

Thanks for reply. Should point out that we have several "mailboxes" and the others are fine, just this one - the main one I use, dammit! We have a blueyonder address and Virgin Media account.
I think I shall delete this thread shortly, as it makes sense to ring and ask for help, but please be aware that I do appreciate all your replies.
Thanks!
Jan, computer-phobe

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 18 Jan 2010 09:37

Hi brummiejan,
I have a Virgin account that I seldom use it shows I am using only 2 MB of the large amount available!
I checked and if there is unusual use, either sending or deleting large amounts the account will be locked for 24 hours so with a bit of luck your account will be restored soon.
Good luck
Mayfield.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Jan 2010 09:44

Thanks for that, maybe it's just slow - has been locked for days!! Here's hoping it sorts itself out soon.
Jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2010 10:27

Virgin have been playing silly devils with the email as they have created a Virgin Mail which goes through Google ,this has mucked up Outlook Express emails and there are loads of complaints on the help forum on their website I am on blueyonder too and mine suddenly went last Wed I kept getting up a POP3 box to verify the user name and password but it wouldn't accept .i couldnt receive or send emails. Spent nearly an hour on the phone on Friday finally through dialing 151 their fault line as i dialled so many other tel nos 01906 ones!! and only got press 1 for this etc and couldnt talk to a person.
Anyway I think i went through to an Indian call centre where the guy was very polite and patient but i did have difficulty understanding him ,we set up a new default email changed password etc but nothing worked .he then directed me to the Email on Virgin home page which worked ok so he said its not a Virgin problem its Outlook Express contact your PC provider!! gave me a Premium rate number to ring and said would be £1 a minute and probably at least 20 mins phone call I DONT THINK SO!!
Anyway i found the forum on the Virgin homepage which had loads of the same complaint and it was obvious that Virgin had mucked up the settings when they migrated the email over. I guess you did get an email telling to about the new set up they were going to do ?
I think your email account has been migrated but until Virgin sort it out you might not be able to sort it as its the settings that need sorting
Dont waste your time phoning as you will get told like we ALL were thats its not their problem when it obviously is.
By the way mine is suddenly OK again but didnt work with the new password they set up i had to revert to the old password No one is getting a help from Virgin I might add.
Shirley

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Jan 2010 10:31

Thanks for the advice Shirley! I might just hang on a bit then - I can get by without it for now, just a real pain having to let everyone know and having one less mailbox to use. Thank goodness the others are OK.
Regards
Jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2010 10:50

Hi again
You can access your Blueyonder emails but not through Outlook Express till they sort out the settings
If you go to the Virgin home page and click on emails on the right you log in using your old log in user name and password from outlook and you can receive and send emails again . For the mo tho its not accessible for some, till they sort out the settings, to use outlook express for their emails Mine though is working ok again.

Shirley

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Jan 2010 10:55

Shirley, I'm doing that - I think!! I go to the email page and log in as normal. As I say, the others are fine, just this one playing up - I can log in OK but not send/receive emails.
Cheers
Jan

BrianW

BrianW Report 18 Jan 2010 11:15

If you go into the Virgin website you can log in to access your emails directly on there.

I have had the situation where my mail box on the server was full and | had to go in and delete.

My email account was set up to save a copy on the server and that is what filled it up. After changing the setting to not save a copy all has been OK.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Jan 2010 12:26

Brian, thanks but sorry - not sure what you mean. I only ever access my emails via the Virgin Website. Am I missing something here?!
Jan

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 18 Jan 2010 12:55

wonder if some ISP's use the same package. I have had a similar problem with mine (not Virgin) over the last 2 weeks (now hopefully resolved). I did find I had intermittent access - it would be available for about 30mins at at time but hit lucky occasionally.