Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREE Copies of BMD Certs & Censuses

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judy

Judy Report 22 Sep 2008 08:26

I know many of you are familiar with the Latter Day Saint Site at www.familysearch.org but were you aware they have added a new pilot section to the site? I have been using the site for years and the new section I just came across accidentally....it does not jump out of you. The new section posts birth, death, and marriage certificates as well as censuses all of which are FREE to download - the actual original document. I was able to obtain information on my great grandmother - information I have been searching for, for 20 years! Not only that, but I found children of many ancestors that I did not know existed due to the fact they died in infancy/childhood and were never listed on censuses. Anyway, the link to the new section of the site is:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

Good luck in your search for family!

Judy

Sam

Sam Report 22 Sep 2008 08:49

Thats brill, I've just found some of my family on the 1900 US census - you can even view the original census page!

Thanks for that

Sam x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Sep 2008 09:00

Just had a look and it seems promising.

Whilst some of the images are free, when I tried to view an 1861 census for one of my rellies it takes you to "Find my Past" where you have to pay their normal rates.

Judy

Judy Report 22 Sep 2008 09:01

Sam:

Try searching for famiy on this site, last name only....I found over a dozen children of various family members who died early on that I didn't know existed.

The site (www.familysearch.org) also has a new feature where they are asking for help in transcribing original documents....I was able to pick the areas I wanted to transcribe - of course I chose the areas my families came from...LOL. Something to do when there is a lull in one's own research!

Judy

Judy

Judy Report 22 Sep 2008 09:04

Majority of the documents are free...the few that aren't I believe had something to do with agreements that some sites had with others....the LDS site apparently had a change of heart and they are now posting the items they can for free.

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2008 13:29

Judy93.
I was able to access this site,but after that I was dumbstruck. What page do you then click onto to go further and find the ancestors and children of families, you didn't know existed. Us "Nearly Newbies" are still finding our way around sites.
Julia in Derbyshire

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2008 13:47

*Christine* I have only got as far as the first page, and do not know what to click onto next. Whilst we become familiar with sites we use on a regular basis, a new site, no matter how well recommended, can be off putting, if all details of procedure are not given.
The particular area I wanted to look at was Eye in Cambridge, to begin with.
Many Thanks
Julia in Derbyshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Sep 2008 14:04

I found it easier to click "view all collections" and select the record that I wanted.
Not a lot of coverage.

Liz

Liz Report 22 Sep 2008 14:09

If you want Cheshire, you are lucky. I found one of my ancestors' christenings and have been able to print off a copy of the actual parish record - no charge.

HeatherofOz

HeatherofOz Report 22 Sep 2008 14:21

Julia, if you click on Search Records at the top next to home and then record search pilot. Hope this helps. Heather

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2008 14:21

*Christine* thanks for coming back to me. I can't be looking at the correct site. I have just had another look at it, and can't for the life of me see a Cambridge link
Julia in Derbyshire

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2008 14:41

Thanks all who have tried to help me on this. Nothing like what you have all described, comes up on my screen. I think I'll just have to walk away from this site, because it obviously is not working for me
Julia in Derbyshire

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 22 Sep 2008 14:45

Hi Julia,

Do you want any help? I will try and help you if you like.

Were you able to copy and paste the website details that were listed?

This I mean:- http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

Betty

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2008 15:09

Betty - many thanks - I have PM'd you.
Again - Many Thanks
Julia in Derbyshire

Judy

Judy Report 22 Sep 2008 18:24

Julia:

Copy and paste this link into your browser:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

It should take you right into the new section of the site....it sounds as though the area you have been accessing is the older part of the site.

To access the pilot section from the home page of the site, which is www.familysearch.org - on the home page under WHATS NEW, click on "See new prototype for searching millions of new records."

Hope that helps.

Judy

Gez

Gez Report 23 Sep 2008 08:14

nudge

rosymay

rosymay Report 24 Sep 2008 16:31

Thanks very interesting I am going to try this.

Trueloiner

Trueloiner Report 24 Sep 2008 21:53

hi judy93. just had a look on this site and found lots of details re my ancesters in staffordshire. will look more when i have spare time. the census records mentioned earlier can be viewed on various sites or others may be willing to help. as i said earlier this looks very interesting. thanks for the info and keep up the good work.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 25 Sep 2008 00:46

I tried the url from Judy but it doesn't load.

Can somebody explain in plain English how to get into these records and what they show? I am lost!

Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Sep 2008 04:02

Margaret

the easiest way for me to tell you is what I did, which is what Judy said above

Go to www.familysearch.org

go to the home page, scroll down until you see a heading What's New

then click on "See new prototype for searching millions of new records."

I haven't searched any more than that because I was told that it needed an updated version of Adobe, and I didn't have time to download that programme.

sylvia