Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find John Lester Crane or Buttwell

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tim

Tim Report 28 Jan 2008 11:12

I am trying to find my lost uncle John Lester Crane (fathers surname) or Buttwell (mother's surname) or an adopted name.

He was born on Jan 11th at the end of the war and it is my feeling he may have been adopted. His father was Arthur Crane (aka as Harry) and his mother was Florence Amelia Buttwell.

I am uncertain how to investigate adoptees and would appreciate any guidance.

Thank you

Tim Crane
07739 479 090

Anthony

Anthony Report 30 Dec 2014 23:16

Hi Tim

I hope I haven't missed the opportunity to explore this further with you.

My dad was adopted and is now John Lester Gooding. He was born John Lester Buttwell but adopted soon after. It seems bizarre that the names cross over.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Tony Gooding

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2014 23:26

Welcome to the Boards and GR Tony.

Firstly, please remove your email address asap as posting personal info such as that on an open board is against GR's T&C.

Tim shouldn't have left his mobile number up, but as he has, have you tried it?

Click on Tim's name to send him a message. As long as he has the same email afddress, he will be notified that you are trying to contact him.
You can check if the message has been read by looking in your 'sent message' box. Unread messages have an envelope icon next to them.

Leave it a couple of weeks - if the message hasn't been accessed, post on here and we'll see if we can find current contact details for him.

Good luck!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2014 09:13

PM received from Tony

His post has been edited and he has sent a message via genes to Tim.

Anthony

Anthony Report 3 Jan 2015 03:01

Hi Tim and DetEcTive

I have tried sending email messages and texted without any reply. Worried I may have missed the opportunity to find out more information. Hope that isnt the case

Just to clarify, my dad was born John L Butwell on the 11th January 1946 and was given up for adoption at two days old and became John Lester Gooding. We can tell by his birth records he was born to a Buttwell with the maiden name of Gammans. They, being Mum and Dad tried to identify his birth parents many years ago and identified his biological mum as Florence Amelia Buttwell but we have never got close to finding out the biological dad. Suffice to say Tim's message has sent shivers down mine, my mums and my dads spine.

Anyone with any information would be much appreciated and if Tim has read any of these messages please do get in touch.

Sincerely
Tony Gooding

Astra

Astra Report 3 Jan 2015 11:58

Marriage in 1934

Marriages Mar 1934 (>99%)

Buttwell Henry C Gammans W.Ham 4a 14
Gammans Florence A Buttwell W. Ham 4a 14
Lee Samuel Richardson W.Ham 4a 14
Richardson Jane Lee W. Ham 4a 14

it looks as though he was Charles Henry Buttwell born 1903 in West Ham. Florence was born in 1905. He died in 1942.

Florence never re-married and died in 1987

Name:
Florence Amelia Buttwell
Birth Date:
12 Jul 1905
Date of Registration:
Feb 1987
Age at Death:
Registration district:
Havering
Inferred County:
Essex
Volume:
Page:

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2015 12:31

Lots of trees on Ancestry following Gammans/ Buttwell family but member
tiw1895 has 'The Crane Family' tree on Ancestry- it only has Florence Amelia Buttwell b1905 in it.

It hasn't been accessed in over a year, but may well be Tim's account?

Gee

Gee Report 3 Jan 2015 12:31

Astra

Is the 1945 death for Charles in Liverpool?

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

Name:Charles Henry Butwell

Probate Date:4 Jul 1945

Death Date:17 May 1945

Death Place:Liverpool, England

Registry:Liverpool, England

Probate to: Ellen Butwell - widow

Astra

Astra Report 3 Jan 2015 12:57

No Gins. It's 1942 in West ham.

Deaths Jun 1942 (>99%)

Buttwell Charles H 39 W.Ham 4a 10

Gee

Gee Report 3 Jan 2015 13:08

Oops, could have swore it said 1945!

Am I right in thinking the birth of John was while Florence was married to Buttwell but he was not the father?

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2015 13:15

Have Pm'd details of how to contact Tim

Astra

Astra Report 3 Jan 2015 13:29

John wasn't born until 1946 Gins. So Mr. Buttwell had been dead for 4 years. :-S

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2015 13:31

Think that's where Arthur Crane entered the scene

Dea

Dea Report 3 Jan 2015 13:53

Gritty - I do hope that you have managed to find a way to contact Tim - I have been working on it but could not be sure.

Was he born in 1974 in Crawley??

Dea x

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2015 14:00

Traced him through his old phone number- Tim's a bit of a football fanatic :D

Current e-mail and twitter account sent. Hopefully Anthony will let us know if he is successful.

Dea

Dea Report 3 Jan 2015 14:10

Well done Gritty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dea Xxx

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2015 14:24

The power of Google - just hope it's correct now!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2015 15:39

Fingers crossed that it's not only the correct Tim, but also the correct John! :-D

As this thread is on 'my threads ', I did think this morning of trying the phone number - the @email address which Tony removed leads one to think he doesn't live in the UK.
Well done Gritty for finding another method xx

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2015 20:46

Still waiting for Anthony to open his messages, but have confirmed it is the correct Tim. :D

I have now passed Tim's current phone number to Anthony.

Tim

Tim Report 3 Jan 2015 23:00

Just a line to say thank you to everyone. Tony hasn't been in touch yet but we will have plenty of news to share once he does.

It promises to be quite an emotional sharing of stories and information as Tony and I are in fact half cousins!

I had given up all hope of finding news of John Lester having undertaken quite a bit of research many years ago and believed the trail to have dried up. Hence my absence from GR.

I am so pleased that our respective families now have the opportunity to piece together so much information which has remained hidden until now.

I thank you all once again

Best

Tim