Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Graveyard searches in Newcastle upon Tyne area

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paula

Paula Report 25 Sep 2005 20:41

I am willing to do a bit of graveyard wandering in the North Tyneside/Newcastle area. I do have 2 small children so not sure when I'll get out but I can give it a go. There are quite a few big cemetery's in the area so I'm not sure I'll find what people are looking for, but I'm willing to give it a go if you can be patient. So far have some information on the following families in Preston Cemetery North Shields Bain, Blacklock, Burn, Burn/Bainbridge, Carnegie, Chisholm, Kilgour, Mould, Murray, Nicholson, Pearson, Pellew, Reed, Sherlock, Richardson, Downie, Bowman, Newton, Paula

Maid Marian of

Maid Marian of Report 25 Sep 2005 20:46

Wonderful!! 8)) I am looking for any Stibbens (could be spelt Stibbins or Stebbens etc.) especially William he was a Ships Captain and died between 1851 and 1861. He nearly always sailed from Newcastle and lived in Westoe, his fathers name was John and so was his sons. So anything would be great and when ever you can. Thanks Marian

Ann

Ann Report 25 Sep 2005 23:24

Hi Paula Would your wandering take you to South Shields?????? I would appreciate it if you could find Blaylock (William born 1854 died between 1920 and 1930 I believe ) whenever you're off for a wander Ann x

Michelle

Michelle Report 26 Sep 2005 06:54

Would it possable for you to look for the name of Brunton for me. Between the years of 1860 and 1956. Unfortunatly i have a few from the Newcastle area, but any that you could find would be great, as i live in Essex so i don't know when or if i will ever be able to do a search myself. Please get in touch if you need more details. Thank You for your very kind offer. Chelle.

Paula

Paula Report 26 Sep 2005 08:21

Michelle, can you give me any idea where in Newcastle. I will take the details to any cemetery's I go to but I could also concentrate on a particular area for you as well. Paula

Lynne

Lynne Report 26 Sep 2005 13:15

Hello Paula Thank you very much for your generous offer. Are you able to check Preston Cemetery please? My 3xGGrandparents Nicholas and Rachel MOULD are buried there (do not know though if they have headstones). These details were given to me by someone with the burial index: 1863 Nicholas MOULD bur Con 5832 1863 Rachel MOULD bur Con 5667 -- Nicholas was buried 18 July 1863, aged 37. Rachel was buried 1 November 1863, aged 34. I would be interested in any additional information and particularly if there are headstones! Thank you. -- Also at Preston there is a burial for a George KILGOUR: KILGOUR George d 1878 bur Con 5852 -- My 3xGGrandfather George KILGOUR died at North Shields and FreeBMD has a death in the December quarter of 1878 for a George KILGOUR aged 78, which would fit so it is possible the burial record above is for this same man, who could be my GGGGrandfather. Thanks again and God bless you, Lynne x New Zealand

Paula

Paula Report 26 Sep 2005 13:45

Lynne Preston Cemetery is actually just up the road from me. I will try and go there on Thurday. If anyone else wants me to look for anyone else in Preston Cemetery now's the time to say. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 26 Sep 2005 17:44

Yes Heaton is pretty close, Fire away Johnathon. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 26 Sep 2005 17:47

I will also endeavour to go to Westoe and South Shields but it might be a couple of weeks. I will take the surnames with me and note down people I come across in other cemeteries. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 27 Sep 2005 09:25

It's a lovely morning this morning. I think my little boy and I are going for a wander through Preston Cemetery!

Paula

Paula Report 27 Sep 2005 14:57

Lynne, Went to Preston today. Went for a wander around for half an hour and realised I would never see the whole cemetery in the hour and half I had. I went to the office and they were able to tell me that as you said: Nicholas Mould age 37 buried 16/7/1863 Rachel Mould age 34 buried 1/11/1863 They said there was also another Nicholas Mould, age 7 buried 26/4/1863. George Kilgour died age 77 and was buried 28/11/1878. Unfortunately there are no headstones for any of the above. They were quite busy so I didn't ask for any other family members but I will go back to Preston again at some point I expect and if I find any other Mould's or Kilgour's I will let you know. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 27 Sep 2005 15:30

Ann, I know this would be completely freaky if it was...but was William ever married. I found a head stone for Margaret Jane Blacklock (I know the surname is not exactly right), wife of W. Blacklock, died Nov 18th 1914 aged 59 years also Margaret Jane Blacklock daughter of MJ & W Blacklock died Jan 16th 1901 aged 19 years. I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd let you know anyway. Paula

Lynne

Lynne Report 27 Sep 2005 18:04

Paula, thank you so much, I could cry! The burial in 1878 will be for my GGGGranddad George KILGOUR and the young Nicholas MOULD is the nephew of my ancestors Nicholas and Rachel. I do know there was at least one other MOULD buried at Preston and several KILGOUR's. I have their names and reference numbers from the previously mentioned burial index: -- 1858 Robert Porter MOULD bur Con 2591 ? -- 1873 Geo Wm KILGOUR bur Grave No Uncon 6736 1877 Andrew Teasdale KILGOUR bur Uncon 4688 1879 Laura KILGOUR bur Uncon 5064 1886 Julia B KILGOUR bur Uncon 894 -- There are probably no gravestones for them either. Sadly, they were all children. -- There was also a James RUTHERFORD listed who could be the father of Rachel MOULD (nee RUTHERFORD) although it's a fairly common name: 1871 James RUTHERFORD bur Con 6958 -- Thanks again and God bless you, Lynne x New Zealand P.S. Have now checked FreeBMD and there was a death at Tynemouth in the June quarter of 1871 for James RUTHERFORD aged 68 so he will be my GGGGGrandfather.

Paula

Paula Report 27 Sep 2005 20:19

I'm glad that something I found today was useful. I will go back to Preston again. If you like I can get the staff to look up the death if that is of any use to you. I will also do more wandering and if I do find any Mould's or Kilgour's I'll let you know. Paula

Lynne

Lynne Report 28 Sep 2005 02:56

Hi Paula, yes please! I would appreciate you asking about James RUTHERFORD. Thanks again and God bless you, Lynne x

Paula

Paula Report 28 Sep 2005 09:36

Lynne, I've actually had PM a from a woman that also lives in the area so we are probably going to go back to Preston Cemetery on Monday so I will ask them then and have a bit more of a wander. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 2 Oct 2005 18:43

Anybody want me to look out for anybody at Preston Cemetery tomorrow? Paula

Paula

Paula Report 2 Oct 2005 19:41

nudge

Paula

Paula Report 3 Oct 2005 09:14

Leaving at 9.30 for Preston Cemetery. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 11 Oct 2005 12:42

Sorry Lynne, Asked about James Rutherford and was not able to get any more information. Unfortunately there is no headstone there. Paula