Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ian C J Galbraith married Ebba H Beale or Amundsen

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 17:28

Hi I have these people in my tree on Ancestry. Ian Courtney Julian Galbraith married this lady in 1955 in Oxford. Am wondering if anyone can tell me please why the two surnames for her? I have found them in the ER for 1964 and 1965 living in Wimbledon. Ian was born in India on 18 August 1925. I don't know when or where Ebba was born. I have looked on Free BMD under both surnames and can't find anything. I also have been unable to find a death for both of them. Can anyone help please? I do have a lot of details about Ian in my tree, it is just basically the above that I am looking for help with.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Jan 2016 17:40

It means that she was known by both names. One could have been her legal name and the other a partner's name if she had lived with someone but not married him.

They could both be previous married names and different people knew her by different surnames.

Amundsen sounds Danish or Norwegian so perhaps she was from abroad or married abroad.

Kath. x

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Jan 2016 17:50

Related to yhese in 1947??

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1947 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amsundsen Ebba H Beale Barnet 5a 2161
Beale Raymond J Amundsen Barnet 5a 2161
Beale Raymond J Elfving Barnet 5a 2161
Elfving Ebba H Beale Barnet 5a 2161

Andy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 Jan 2016 18:08

Kathryn - do you know if they had any children?

If you know that they did then look up those children's birth registrations and see what it gives as the mother's maiden name.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 18:09

Hi, thanks for your input, much appreciated. I am being totally thick now in relation to the above marriages. So was it Ebba Beale married Raymond Amundsen? My head is really fuzzy as I have a bad bout of flu, no excuse for being thick though.

Regards

Kathryn

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Jan 2016 18:11

http://www.freebmd.org.uk shows

1958 - Galbraith twins born with mothers last name as Amundsen. This should reflect mothers maiden name but might depend on how the question was asked at registration

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 18:13

Thanks again guys. I've just looked at that marriage in 1947 and Ebba has another surname of Elving. Oh how these things are sent to try us. I'll just now look at those births.

Regards

Kathryn

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Jan 2016 18:14

Ebba H Elfving or Amundsen married Raymond J Beale.

It's showing the marriage in both her names

I would think that Elfving was perhaps her maiden name, she became Amundsen and then married Beale (or vice versa)

There is a 1950 birth Beale/Amundsen

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 18:20

Have just seen the births in 1958. Mothers surname given as Amundsen and Amundson. Am going to sort that in my tree shortly and look for a birth for Ebba. If anyone could please find a death for Ian and Ebba I'd be grateful. It may well be that they have passed on but after 2007 when the death register cuts off.

I appreciate all your kind help.

Regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 18:32

Thanks greyghost have just seen your earlier posting. I will look at that birth now. Have entered the twins into my tree. This woman has certainly had a few surnames. It just makes it more difficult when researching.

Regards

Kathryn

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jan 2016 20:09

Ebba H Galbraith is on the Electoral register up to 2010

Ian C Galbraith on register up to 2015

alviegal

alviegal Report 9 Jan 2016 21:02

From

From http://www.iannounce.co.uk/

Ebba Hjordis Galbraith : Obituary
Published in the HemelToday.co.uk on 3rd March 2010 (Distributed in Hemel Hempstead)
This notice has had 109 visitors.

EBBA HJORDIS GALBRAITH OF BOVINGDON Passed away suddenly on 18th February 2010 aged 85 years.
Beloved wife of Ian, loving Mother to Angela, Nino and Janet and a dear Grandmother and Great Grandmother.
Funeral service takes place on
Thursday 4th March, 3.30pm at Hampden Chapel, Chilterns Crematorium, Amersham.
Family flowers only, donations for Alzheimer’s Society
c/o Neville Funeral Service, 75 Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead, HP1 1LF.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 21:11

Wow what a find. Thank you so so much. Perhaps I'll be able to find her birth now. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, my tablet has been on charge. I'll check out that ER now as well.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 21:28

Hi, have looked for the ER for Ian. Do I need to have a subscription to find it?

Regards

Kathryn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jan 2016 22:05

her name sounds Scandinavian, maybe Swedish, to me ......

......... is it possible that the first marriage took place there, and that she then came to the UK?

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 22:21

Hi, that is, of course, possible. I have tried searching under all collections for a birth under Elfving and Amundsen but have hit a brick wall. Having now her date of death and that she was 85, I have been looking in between the years 1924 to 1926.

Regards

Kathryn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jan 2016 22:51

Kathryn .........

may I suggest that you extend your range of search to possible as much as 5 years each side?

The informant only knows what the deceased has told them, and she MAY have lied about her age.

Interestingly, most lie only about the year, and keep the day and month correct.

My grandfather, of course, had to be different ........... he lied about month, date and year. But only by 2 weeks :-S

He was born January 9th 1885, but had us all believing that he was born on Christmas Day 1885 or 1886. We only discovered the truth after he died, when his birth certificate was found hidden in a drawer.

He was baptized the same day as his younger sister on Dec 29 1886

I sometimes think his parents had done it so they wouldn't have to buy Christmas and birthday presents so close together

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 Jan 2016 23:05

Will do. Am off to bed now but will continue with my quest tomorrow. Thanks for your further message.

Regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Jan 2016 12:03

Have sent Electoral Register details to Kathryn by pm.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 10 Jan 2016 12:57

Hi Kathleen, have replied to your message. Thanks for your help. Just for an update the house sold in June 2014 so maybe Ian has sadly passed on or perhaps gone into a home or similar.

Kind regards

Kathryn