Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

accident and death notice

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beth

Beth Report 7 Jun 2015 03:05

Hi I am looking for any info on Caroline Oakes nee Langton b 1877 died March 1952. She was knocked down by a motorbike and died. Looking for newspaper clips or obituary notice for around March 1952 in Hammersmith London any help would be much appreciated Beth

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Jun 2015 09:46

Try googling for the local newspaper for the area, and contacting their archivist

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Jun 2015 09:49

Nothing in the newspaper archives on FMP

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2015 11:13

You could try contacting this society who may be able to help:-

https://fhhs.wordpress.com/contacting-the-fhhs/

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2015 11:19

Unless you have the DC or other documentation, remember that the March on the gro index covers registrations made in Jan, Feb as well as March. She may even have died at the end of Dec 1951 but her death not registered for a day or two.

Name: Caroline Oakes
Birth Date: abt 1879
Date of Registration: Mar 1952
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Hammersmith
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5c
Page: 820

Basically, make sure you cover a wide enough time frame

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Jun 2015 12:40

Get a copy of the death cert, so that you have accurate info about her date of death when approaching people for help

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jun 2015 21:09

Hammersmith and Fulham Newspapers | Find a Newspaper in ...

www.locallife.co.uk/hammersmithfulham/newspapers.asp

Hammersmith and Fulham Newspapers. Find Newspapers in Hammersmith and Fulham at Locallife.co.uk. Online listing of Hammersmith and Fulham Newspapers.

malyon

malyon Report 7 Jun 2015 21:30

found this on message board on ancestry is this your posting

1952 Hammersmith is correct. I have heard that Caroline was out walking and stepped out in the road and a motorbike knocked her down. She consquently died from this accident.My new search now is to find out details of this accident. And maybe find write up in any of the newspapers. Also to find an obituary for her. Any help on this would be apprecated. I have been trying the various newspapers all afternoon. Nothing as yet.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jun 2015 16:35

Acknowledgement received from Beth.

As suggested in response, it's best if you type in the 'add your reply' box then click 'submit'.

Beth

Beth Report 2 Aug 2015 04:52

Thank you for all those suggestions I will look into it. :-)

Flip

Flip Report 2 Aug 2015 06:36

Accidental deaths are usually subject to an inquest which can take months. The death is only reg when complete, so could be early 1952 even.

To release the body the coroner issues an interim cert - but this isn't on the GRO.

Beth

Beth Report 2 Aug 2015 07:12

Thank you I did not think of that. But I was told that it was 1952 by this second cousin he was told by his parents, he was only 5 years old at that time, and does not know anything more now. But I do thank you Beth

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Aug 2015 09:39

If you get a copy of the death cert, the date and cause of death will be recorded.

You will then have facts on which to base any further search

Beth

Beth Report 11 Sep 2015 00:13

Thank you for your help. I am still looking Beth

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2015 00:28

You have to buy that death certificate, get the exact date of death, the exact date of the inquest, the cause of death, and place of death.

THEN, and only then, can you contact the local library or Local Archives to ask for a search to be done of local newspapers.

The certificate will cost you £9.25, including postage from GRO (General Register Office).

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2015 00:31

I do notice that you have been asking fro this information on several sites, and no-one has been able to provide you with any more information than you currently have.

This is because the information is not available on line ........ hence why you have to buy that death certificate.

Then, and only then, you can contact the local library or Studies Centre and ask for searches of local newspapers to be made.

Beth

Beth Report 1 Jun 2016 06:05

Thank you for your help. I have now got the death certificate for
Name: Caroline Oakes
Birth Date: abt 1879 ( This date is wrong it should read 1877)
Date of Registration: Mar 1952
Age at Death: 73 aged (74½ years)
Registration district: Hammersmith
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5c
Page: 820
She die 9th January 1952 of a fractured skull due to accident on road with a motorcyclist , she died in Hammersmith Hospital and lived at 173e Du Cane Road Hammersmith. There was a coroners inquest on 17 -1-1952, I still have not been able to find an obituary in newspaper for her nor which cemetery in London that she is buried in. I have tried different places and all cost, or will do a free search if you live in the area. as I live in NZ that is not possible, so any help with the above will be very much appreciated thank you so much Beth
:-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Jun 2016 08:10

Have you contacted the Hammersmith & Fulham cemetery team or did they ask you to pay a fee? If they do charge, they'd normally accept a credit card; your card provider would convert to your local currency before it appears on your statement.

[email protected]

It's rare for an obituary to appear in a London newspaper unless the deceased was a well known person. There might have been a death notice placed by the relatives or snippet about the accident in a truly local paper.
Contact the Local Studies/Archive

[email protected]

As much as we'd like everything to be free, that isn't always the case. Councils have had their budgets cut in real terms over the years and need to try and fund the services they provide.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jun 2016 14:03

Just in case you don't have it, as the age is out on 1939, children match Oakes/Langton births. Are there no surviving relatives who know where Caroline was buried/cremated?

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION
Oakes Household (4 People)
3 Naseby Street , Liverpool C.B., Lancashire, England

Caroline Oakes 28 Oct ? 85 ? ( there may be a correction above but not sure if it is re something else?) WIDOW Unpaid Dom Duties
Marjorie Upton (Deegan,Oakes) 11 May 1915 Finisher Jam Work
Wilfred Oakes 12 Dec 1919 Appren Boiler Mantle
Joan E Eaton (Oakes) 25 Dec 1921 Shop Assis Counts Land

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Jun 2016 14:37

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965 (Ancestry)

(1952 Hammersmith and Fulham)

172E Du Cane Road, Caroline Oakes, also Joan E. Eaton, Stanley Eaton.

Chris :)

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1912

LANGTON Caroline OAKES William H Bootle, Christ Church South Sefton A4/3/99

Births Dec 1877 (>99%)
-------------------------------------------------------
LANGTON Caroline W. Derby 8b 375