Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William arkley Hayes?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 27 Feb 2015 20:59

Have given up searching a couple of years ago.Long story but Ancestry contacted me as a now non member'

They referred me to 'members photograph of the grave of William Hayes, born 1803'. which sounds very much like mine.

(He died in 1870 and was buried in Lancaster cemetery.)

The Arkley part has been the bane of my life for yonks, and, if possible, and ethical, I would love to know what the photograph shows. Trying thism but will contact the cemetery if necessary.

Happy days Best wishes

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Feb 2015 21:04

Hi there Harry - is this him?

Name: William Arkley Hay
Spouse's Name: Mary Camm
Event Date: 15 Dec 1832
Event Place: Kendal, Westmoreland, England

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M39649-5 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 1471687

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Feb 2015 21:05

Name: Thomas Hay
Christening Date: 21 Jul 1833
Christening Place: KENDAL,WESTMORLAND,ENGLAND
Father's Name: William Arkley Hay
Mother's Name: Mary

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00311-6 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 97379, 97380, 97381, 97382

Harry

Harry Report 27 Feb 2015 21:12

Very good works folks but it virtually confirms what I have long suspected - Arkley is a name he awarded himself. He was born WH in Cheltenham 1803 and his parents William and Mary are virtually untraceable. Was hoping that Arkley was a family name, but have been unable to find it. At least it confirms the Arkley part. He was Arkley when Thomas was born, then subsequently it became Arteley and Artley.
The surname often varied as well between Hay, Hays and hayes.
Many thanks for your interest. Happy days

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Feb 2015 21:15

Name: William Hays
Christening Date: 21 Dec 1803
Christening Place: CHELTENHAM,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Willm Hays
Mother's Name: Mary

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C04399-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 417138, 417139

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Feb 2015 21:30

The picture is locked up on Ancestry so we can't see it.

This is what is said by the pic of the gravestone.

Category: Portrait
Photo Date: 10 Apr 2013
Photo Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, England
Description: Gravestone/resting place of William (Arkley) Hayes b1803 d1870. Gravestone says birth was 1801!

Harry

Harry Report 27 Feb 2015 21:34

Once again thank you. I have been to the church in Cheltenham was hoping the banns would assist re maiden name and occupation, but they have been destroyed.
! Not been able to find the name Arkley, married to a Hays. There are many, many marriages between W and M around that time
Thanks for your interest. Happy days

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Feb 2015 21:43

Not sure it is yours as his probate went to his wife Margaret Hayes (Heyes) and he was a Grocer.

Do you want me to type it all out for you?

He left under £450

Harry

Harry Report 27 Feb 2015 21:45

Just as an afterthought, and boy, do I clutch at straws. Is there any indication of who the photo belongs to?

happy days

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Feb 2015 21:58

It's an Andyintheuk you can only contact them if you have Ancestry.

Harry

Harry Report 27 Feb 2015 22:04

Thank you Mel. Andy Green - he's a relation. Many thanks.

Happy days

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Feb 2015 22:10

So can you contact him?

Harry

Harry Report 27 Feb 2015 22:41

yes Mel. No problem with that.

Doubt very much if the grocer is my hayes. The family were pretty much all gardeners and I don!t think we have a. Margaret in the family, unless it was a re-marriage, as I have been unable to trace the death of the older William. I am very grateful for your help.

Happy days

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Feb 2015 07:24

Burial: 10 Mar 1870 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
William Hayes -
Abode: Queen Square
Buried by: C.Campbell, Offg. Minr.
Register: Burials 1862 - 1871, Page 262, Entry 2094
Source: LDS Film 1526202

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

(another above)

Deaths Mar 1870 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------
Hayes William 69 Lancaster 8e 533

12 March 1870 - Lancaster Gazette - Lancaster, Lancashire, England

DEATHS - on the 7th inst, in Queens-square, Mr. William Hayes, in the 69th year of his age. Much respected.

01 January 1870 - Lancaster Gazette - Lancaster, Lancashire, England

Accidents
There have been three accidents during the week which have come to our knowledge, caused by falling on the ice. William Hayes, an old man, living in Queen Square, aged 69 years, fell on Sunday night in the yard attached to his house, by which he broke his thigh at the hip joint, and had to be conveyed to the dispensary, where he now lies suffering from the shock to his system. He has been poorly for some years past, and feels the shock very acutely.

Chris :)

22 December 1832 - Westmorland Gazette - Kendal, Cumbria, England

Marriages
Since our last, Mr. William Arkley Hay, to Miss Mary Camm

Harry

Harry Report 28 Feb 2015 10:40

Quite brilliant posting Chris. Never knew this background. Thank you so much.
He was William Hayes, would love to know where Arkley came from to help me chase the antecedents of his birth to William and Mary, Cheltenham, 1803,
Has cost me a fortune over the years.

Thanks to all who have shown interest. happy days

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Feb 2015 11:36

Harry I am putting this up as you said Andy Green was a relly and a Green is mentioned in this will.

Hayes otherwise Heyes

The Will of William Hayes otherwise Heyes late of Aspull in the county of Lancaster Grocer deceased who died 19th Oct 1870 at Aspull aforesaid was proved at Manchester by the oaths of Margaret Hayes otherwise Heyes of Aspull aforesaid widow the Relict and Jonathon Green of Aspull aforesaid Yoeman and executor.

Effects under £450.

Harry

Harry Report 28 Feb 2015 11:58

Thank you Mel. the Aspull Hayes family has been a red herring for me for yonks. So i think I can discount them, but your effort is really appreciated.

I know pretty much everything about the children of william (arkley?) hayes - it's the family or antecedents of his parents, william and Mary, cheltenham Dec 1803. (and the origin of the assumed Arkley)

I may be wrong, but it appears to me that the family only christened their first born, until it became compulsory in 1837. Hence i have not been able to trace any other of their children born around 1803.) Thomas was christened in 1832; Richard not christened 1835, then all the others were.

Don't I ramble.?

God bless you for the info Mel. Happy days

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Feb 2015 12:45

I have been all morning looking for the Margaret Hayes mentioned in the Will. I can't find her anywhere.

I just thought the mention of Jonathon Green in the Will would tie in with your Andy Green??

Mel

Harry

Harry Report 28 Feb 2015 12:54

Thank you Mel. I once offered a reward for anyone finding the actual origin of W and M, 1803, Cheltenham. Seems hopeless unless new info appears on the market. There are so many runners and riders that it seem impossible to find the winner.
Might just add that Mary Camm's mother was a Margaret and she was called by different variations of the name, Peggy! Meg etc.

Many thanks. happy days

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Feb 2015 15:14

(other 1870 Death, looks to be below)

Burial: 22 Oct 1870 Horwich Chapel, Horwich, Lancashire, England
William Heyes -
Abode: Aspull
Buried by: T Higham, Off. Minister
Register: Burials 1853 - 1873, Page 262, Entry 2091
Source: LDS Film 2113122

Deaths Dec 1870 (>99%)
------------------------------------------
Heyes William 48 Wigan 8c 8

1871 (Find My Past) (also family with her)
Margaret Heyes Head - Female 41 1830 - Lancashire, England (Shopkeeper)
Street Greens Houses Grocers Shop
Parish Aspull
County Lancashire
Registration district Wigan
Archive reference RG10
Piece number 3882
Folio 11

Jonathan Green Head - Male 64 1807 - Lancashire, England (Yeoman)
Ann Green Wife - Female 62 1809 - Lancashire, England
Street Cale Lane Jonathan Greens Houses
Parish Aspull
County Lancashire
Registration district Wigan
Archive reference RG10
Piece number 3882
Folio 26
Page 45

Chris :)

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

(not sure if anything relating on above, not seeing Arkley, one of those 'all time mysteries' perhaps!)