Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crematories in Newcastle 1955

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 4 Oct 2014 19:18

Hi all.. I have just got back from Newcastle looking for where my relatives are buried. My great grandfather William Dixon died in 1920 and his service was held at St Thomas's church at Eighton Banks, Galloping Green Road (u gotta luv that name). I couldn't find him in the church yard but so many of the grave stones had fallen over and you couldn't read the names.

My big question is John Mack 1882 to 1955 and Mary Eleanor Mark (nee Wakeling) 1882 to 1955. They lived at Mafeking Road Gateshead. I cant find them.. I went to the closest cemetery to the house and also the biggest cemetery in the area.
I then spoke to Dad and he said they had both been cremated. (thanks dad could have told me earlier) Well I cant locate any crematories open in 1955. Birtley opened in 1957 and Saltwell in 1966.......and dad says that no urns were taken home..
Any ideas?????

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Oct 2014 19:45

The nearest just over the Tyne Bridge would have been,

West Road Crem and Cemetery
West Road,
NUT,,it opened in 1934,

Newcastle council are excellent for information,,,,,,see their web site.

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 4 Oct 2014 19:54

Thanks Kay.. I will look at that one..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Oct 2014 20:26

Hope you can find where William Dixon was buried........please do bear in mind that not every family could afford a headstone!

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 4 Oct 2014 20:36

Thanks Detective.. When I went to Gateshead council for help and guidance they said that which at the time I hadn't thought of.. With William Dixon I would assume this was the case as he was only 35 and left his wife and 3 young children..

But it was still a very interesting trip looking at where the ancestors lived and I got some great photos of the old places and also empty plot in one case....