Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find where someone is buried

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Aug 2014 21:46

I recently posted a request for Ruth and Wm Geo Ollerenshaw, I received loads of information, including census sheets etc. I posted this request for an elderly neighbour of mine who is trying to find where her mum and dad are buried.
She was adamant they were both buried at Carnforth, Lancs so I rang the council cemetarys dept and they told me there were no Ollerenshaws buried in Carnforth cemetery or any of the other council cemetery's. The lady there then told me to try the local churchs. I rang the nearest one or should I say contacted the vicar who is being very helpful but he also came up with nothing on their records.
Can anybody either tell me where else to try or has anybody access to any church records in the area. This means a lot to my neighbour who herself is 87 so I would be very grateful for any info that leads to find the grave. Many thanks

jansmith

jansmith Report 9 Aug 2014 22:27

I wonder if their address was on a death cert? then a look up could be done in local newspaper perhaps

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 9 Aug 2014 22:35

this may sound bit daft but could they have been cremated

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 9 Aug 2014 22:39

is this ruths death

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007

First Name RUTH
Last Name OLLERENSHAW
Gender Female
Year 1980
Birth Year 1893
Birth Month 2
Birth Day 28
District LANCASTER
County Lancashire
Country England
Volume 40
Event Quarter 2
District Number
Page 1780
Line Number 90
Entry Number
Record set England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
DOR
Category Births, Marriages & Deaths
Collections from Great Britain

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Aug 2014 22:52

Hiya PollyPoppet,

Yes that is Ruths death but even if we send for the death cert its not going to tell us where she's buried. The vicar of the nearest church tried ringing local undertakers to see if they could help. He's been brilliant and says he'll keep on trying for me, but I thought if I or maybe somebody on Genes could find the place for records they could access it would save him a lot of work. He has passed another vicars name on and on Monday I think I will phone the crem just to see if my neighbour has got it wrong again. She was adamant they were buried at Carnforth cemetery but the council says different, so it's either a church yard, the crem or theres a private Methodist Church Yard owned by a member of the public, so I need to try and get her phone number. I've tried searching the local newspaper death announcements but can't get back far enough,

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 9 Aug 2014 23:08

her death is on ancestry if someone could look it up it may give more info than here I cant im afraid Im no longer a member on there

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Aug 2014 23:48

Thanks for trying PollyPoppet and if there is anybody with Ancestry willing to have a look I'd be extremely grateful x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2014 00:40

not sure what record PP is tlaking about .....................

the only deaths for Ruth Ollerenshaw on ancestry are for deaths before 1915

and this one, which is just ancestry's transcription from the GRO Index .............

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Ruth Ollerenshaw

Name: Ruth Ollerenshaw
Birth Date: 28 Feb 1893
Date of Registration: Jun 1980
Age at Death: 87
Registration district: Lancaster
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 40
Page: 1780

so no information on burial / cremation, etc

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2014 00:44

I think the best bet would be to find the name of the local newspaper publishing in 1980, and see if they can find an obituary for Ruth.

That should give the place of death.

Try phoning the nearest library or Local Archives Study Centre

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2014 00:46

you might want to try The Westmorland Gazette ........... that comes up as the modern-day newspaper of note for Carnforth

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Aug 2014 12:34

Thanks Sylvia, Will also contact the Gazette, forgotabout that one

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Aug 2014 15:54

Did your neighbour or her sister register their mother's death?

There may already be a certificate around somewhere amongst their paperwork. This would give a clear location to work from.

Funeral directors may have to delve into old legers for that date, but many are willing to check.

DO please keep a record of places you or the vicar ask, even if it's a negative result, as it's easy to lose track, - I know!

Good luck.
I am seeking a burial - probably Hampshire ? for 1983 and have had a thread about it, but so far no luck.

Gwyn

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Aug 2014 21:30

I've been looking round some of the local church yards this afternoon but not found anything. Mind there were loads of graves with no headstones so there's stil a chance on that score.

Thanks everybody

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Aug 2014 21:44

Margaret,,,,,The death certificat will state if Ruth was cremated or a bruial took place,but not where,,,,,,if it was a cremation then a local crematoria where Ruth lived may have dealt with it,,,,,,also ask for any cremations in that name as I belive both events are kept in seperate logs.

a cremation may not have a headstone.

when and when did William die,,,,,,,perhaps any related close family may know>?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Aug 2014 22:32

Kay????
I don't think a death certificate would give any indication of whether a body is buried or cremated.
None of my certificates give that information.

Crematorium records are usually fairly easily checked. Some are online, but if not,an e mail request to the office usually brings a fairly prompt response, I've found.

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2014 00:14

I also have never seen a death certificate indicating that the body was to be cremated or buried

my brother's death certificate from 1990 certainly does not

nor does my father's certificate from 1971

nor my father-i-l's from 1985

Flip

Flip Report 11 Aug 2014 00:42

Is this William George's death do you think?

William George Ollerenshaw
Birth Date:19 Aug 1892
Date of Registration:Mar 1970
Age at Death:77
Registration district:Lancaster
Inferred County:Lancashire
Volume:10c
Page:1925

A couple of things you could try - ask South Lakeland District Council's cemetery department to check their burials - Carnforth is just over their border. Also, Beetham is the main church near to Carnforth but just over in Cumbria (was Westmorland)

Secondly, cremations in the late 1960s were carried out at Blackpool as that was the nearest crematorium open at the time - so you could try there. My uncle was cremated in Blackpool but he was from 50 odd miles away - but it was the nearest crem open at that time.

And, I agree with Gwen & Sylvia - I have never seen a death certificate showing if the deceased was buried or cremated, and I see a lot of death certificates in my day job!

One thing I would say though, if they were Roman Catholic then cremation was unlikely (but not impossible) at the time of their deaths. Knowing their religion would maybe eliminate some church yards?

EDIT: forgot to ask, where were they from - sometimes people get buried in their home parish if fairly local, and I think Ruth was local but not William, think he may have been born Stockport.

Flip

Flip Report 11 Aug 2014 01:12

This looks like Ruth's christening - so may be worth checking out this church:

Baptism: 30 Apr 1893 Christ Church, Carnforth, Lancashire, England
Ruth Wilcock - Dau of Charles Wilcock & Alice
Abode: Carnforth
Baptised by: J. Atkinson FIDLER, Incumbent
Register: Baptisms 1875 - 1895, Page 91, Entry 726
Source: Film 1849648

I know she married as Jones, but she had married John Jones in 1915 so was a widow when she married Wm.

This church was part of the parish of Warton, Nr Lancaster.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Aug 2014 07:36

From my own original certificates and sorry to disagree with you ladies.

Qualifications of the informant---

***causing the body to be cremated*** 1979.this is hand written on the certificate.

Qualifcations of Informant,

***causing the body to be buried***,*1994,this is hand written on a copy of the certificate.

1980,,,,,,,,,will state if a burial/cremation was intended,but not where it happened,

Flip

Flip Report 11 Aug 2014 19:23

This is usually used when the informant registering the death was not present at the death or recent illness of the person. If the person registering the death was present or had knowledge of the dead person it would have a different qualification, and not mention whether the body was cremated or buried.

Sorry Kay, I had forgotten about that qualification, most of the certificates I see are either registered by close relatives or the coroner - neither of which would normally use this qualification.