Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Tennant Baptism

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 8 Jun 2014 23:45

Hi there,

I am looking for a baptism of my ancestor who died on 4 Aug 1837 in Bridgeton, Glasgow aged 50 (so born c. 1787).

He had married Mary Pool in 1826 in Glasgow.

Could someone help me find a baptism for him?

I have looked on familysearch but nothing is jumping out to me.

Best wishes,

Peter

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jun 2014 07:34

Try Scotlands People they have parish records as well as the later BMD,s

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 9 Jun 2014 07:35

Did he have children? If so, what are their names? The oldest son would probably be named after William's father.

there is this one:

Name: William Tennant
Christening Date:
Christening Place: , NEW MONKLAND, LANARK, SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 13 Sep 1789
Birthplace: , New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland
Father's Name: John Tennant
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Bathia Steel

but no way of knowing if it is the right man.

ScotlandsPeople has two baptisms for a William Tennant between 1785 and 1790 in Lanarkshire (it is a pay-per-view site needing credits).

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jun 2014 08:22

Your ancestor may not have been christened or just not christened in the Church of Scotland. Most of the OPRs available are for the established Church of Scotland. As you know when he died, you have presumably found a burial for him. Have you tried to establish who is buried in the same lair just in the off chance that it was a family lair and perhaps one or both of his parents are in the lair?

You could also look on The National Archives of Scotland website to see if records for any of the Churches in the area have survived.

If his wife survived him by a few years, it may be worth checking out the Glasgow Poor Relief records at the Mitchell Library. If she claimed relief it is possible that the records may give details of William's birth parish and name his parents.

Finally, I should say that you have done well so far as in Scotland it is quite difficult to research back to the 1700s with any certainty. Well done and good luck with your research.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Jun 2014 09:43

From the baptismal info on the children of William Tennant and Mary Poole in Glasgow, I presume that this his the family at 1841

1841 England Census about Mary Tennant
Name: Mary Tennant
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1795
Where born: Cumberland, England
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert
Hundred: Cumberland
County/Island: Cumberland
Registration district: Carlisle
Sub-registration district: St Cuthbert
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 175
Book: 9
Folio: 10
Page Number: 15
Household Members:
Name Age
Mary Tennant 46 widow b Cumberland
Henry Tennant 14 b Scotland
Isabella Tennent 12 b Scotland
Sarah Stewart 60
Henry Stewart 21

It's also possible this was a 2nd marriage for William Tennant.
If he was 50yrs old at time of death, it would mean that he was around 40 years old when he married Mary Poole in 1826
Edit
Have you seen this? Could there be a connection?

1841 England Census about Jane Tennant
Name: Jane Tennant
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1761
Where born: Scotland
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert
Hundred: Cumberland
County/Island: Cumberland
Registration district: Carlisle
Sub-registration district: St Cuthbert
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 175 **** ( same piece No as above)
Book: 2
Folio: 15
Page Number: 24
Household Members:
Name Age
Jane Tennant 80 b Scotland
Betty Tennant 46 daughter, B Scotland
Mary Tennant 36 daughter B Cumberland

Then at 1851, still Carlisle
Jane Tennant 90 b Scotland
Bethea Tennant 59 Daughter b Scotland
Mary Tennant 47 Daughter b Carlisle

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 9 Jun 2014 12:04

Very likely, GlasgowLass, looking at the name Bethea Tennant and the name of the mother of William b. Sept 1789.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jun 2014 12:41

Looks like the William posted above was the second William born to those parents?

Name: William Tennant
Birth Date: 19 Oct 1784
Birth Place: , New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland
Baptism Place: , New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland
Father: John Tennant
Mother: Bethia Steel
FHL Film Number: 102959
Reference ID: 2:15MDZVC

Peter

Peter Report 9 Jun 2014 18:08

Thank you for this - yeah, I have had a good old look through Scotland's People and visited the library in Edinburgh a few weeks ago. Yeah, you found the family in the 1841 and as William is described as a weaver/cotton spinner on his burial and on his wife's death in 1869 (it seems that neither of his children married), I felt comfortable that the burial in Glasgow in 1837 was him. BUT I didn't know you could check the lair for other family members. How would I go about that?

Also, I had no idea of the Glasgow Poor relief fund - I should look into that. What area did that cover? For other families unrelated to this post, would that cover Coatbridge?

Thank you also for the Tennant connection through Jane, born c. 1761 ... would it be fair to assume then that Jane was an AUNT of the William born 1789 in New Monkland?!

There are also MANY Tennants in Barony but obviously none that fitted the age at death of the burial.

Thank you for this - so much to think about.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Jun 2014 22:44

Sadly, poor relief did not start until 1845 which means William's widow would not have applied for PR in Scotland.
Edit

If an application for relief has survived from almost anywhere in Lanarkshire, it will be held at the archives in the Mitchell Library and often provide a wealth of information.

Also note:
At the archives, you are free to search the computerized indexes for any applications.
Once found, you then request the files which are then brought down from the archives for you to look at and take notes.
The info contained, is not always in chronological order and therefore it takes time to glean a full picture from the records
A photocopying service is available but you need to order it page by page for a later collection.
I have made numerous photocopy orders, paid in advance and called back at a later date to collect.
On many occasions, there were pages were missing!

Peter

Peter Report 10 Jun 2014 18:11

Thank you Glasgow Lass - a relative of mine died in Coatbridge in a bolier explosion in 1860 so could be worth looking into his widow making an application for PR!

Also, I did look on familysearch for the TENNANTS but nothing to link the TWO families (between those of New Monkland and those of Carlisle). There was actually no evidence of their existence at all on familysearch as far as I could see. Although, probability suggests there is a connection.

On that note, I do have ANOTHER branch of Scottish ancestors, born between c. 1810-1828, and I can't find any baptisms on the ScottishPeoples site. Any idea why? Was it common for parish registers to go missing/be destroyed?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 11 Jun 2014 08:29

Peter, not everyone had their children christened.

Not all parish records have survived and I am not sure if there is an online list of those that have. Of those that have survived the detail on them varies from parish to parish. For example some recorded the names of the fathers of a bride and groom while others don't. Similarly for christenings some record the names of both parents while others only record the father.

Regarding the Poor Relief records, these can be very useful if you have Irish ancestors. Using those records I managed to find the names of my Irish born Grandmother's Irish grandparents including her Irish grandmother's maiden surname. I have even seen photographs and birth certificates attached to PR records. Alas though not pertaining to my family.

Good luck with your research.

Mrs. Rootie

Peter

Peter Report 11 Jun 2014 22:07

Thanks you Mrs. Rootie!

Always great to hear the stories of other members. Thank you!

Peter

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 11 Jun 2014 23:10

http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/research/list-of-oprs.html

Peter,
Above is the link to all surviving OPR inScotland
Although most show baptism date ranges, (EG 1820-1854) many contain missing, inbetween years.

The OPR is a collated list of baptism and marriages from all around a parish, and entries are not always in chronological order.

If a particular minister ( or clerk) omitted to forward his list to the Church Session, it would not be entered in the OPR.

Peter

Peter Report 12 Jun 2014 13:47

This is fascinating - I didn't know that Scottish records were so precarious, but thank links certainly paints an appropriate context. Thank you for sharing.

That explains why I am missing certain relatives in the early 1800s.

Thank you.