Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on finding my adopted nans birth mum

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 3 Jun 2014 09:38

Hello,
This is quite a long post but intresting.
My great nan was born in 1935, her mum was not married and her father was a vicat so my nan was adopted at 6 weeks old.
My great nans name was Ingrid Andersan Roby. Her mums name was Louise Roby, and we only know the fathers surname which was Andersan, he was also apprently Swedish. He left my nan's mum when she fell pregnant.
My nan remembered visiting her mum in Ashton-in-makerfield, she said they lived in a beautiful big house called Whitledge Hurst.
When she would visit she would have to wear a wig and glasses because her and her mum looked so alike and nobody could know she had a baby out of wedlock. She also said when she would visit her mum's brother would he there.
My great nans daughter went looking for the house, they asked at a police station & they said it got knocked down and a nursing home had been built in it's place. This was over 20 years ago they found this out.
I have searched online with no luck for whitledge hurst.
Her mother was supposed to love her so much, she would send beautiful bundles of clothes for my great nan, but her adopted mother had about 6 kids so she would sell them. This is why i dont understand how contact could just stop. She was adopted in Birkenhead.
My nan never had a good life, always seemed to have bad luck. She died in 2007 of cancer and she gave as much information she could remember about her mum. I would like to find out about her family for my nan because she wanted to so bad but it never happened.
Any help I would appreciate so much.
Many thanks for reading
Kayleigh

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jun 2014 09:52

There is no record on line of the name Louise Roby in England/Wales other than a marriage in 1871

Do you have your grandmother's birth cert?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jun 2014 09:55

Are you 100% certain of the spelling of the mother's first name?

Births Mar 1904 (>99%)
Roby Louisa Blackburn 8e 320
Births Jun 1906 (>99%)
Roby Louisa Prescot 8b 821

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 3 Jun 2014 09:57

England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005 about Ingrid A Roby
Name: Ingrid A Roby
Mother's Maiden Surname: Roby
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1935
Registration district: Birkenhead
Inferred County: Cheshire
Volume Number: 8a
Page Number: 604

Kayak

Kayak Report 3 Jun 2014 10:11

Googled Whitledge Hurst and found this baptism, don't think it helps much though.

Baptism: 22 Jul 1888 Holy Trinity, Ashton in Makerfield, Lancs.
Emily Heyes - [Child] of Charles Heyes & Elizabeth
Born: 14 Jun
Abode: Whitledge Hurst
Baptised by: W. J. Melville
Register: Baptisms 1882 - 1899, Page 53, Entry 419
Source: Original Registers at Leigh

Dea

Dea Report 3 Jun 2014 10:20

Was it Louise/Louisa's father who was a vicar or Ingrid's ?

Do we know the name of the brother who used to be at the house when Ingrid visited?

Dea x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jun 2014 10:23

From what I can find on searches, Whitledge Hurst seems to be a place (small hamlet?) rather than a house name - but it's not clear. Could it have been a big house IN Whitledge Hurst?

Re: the two Louisa Robys that Reggie posted, apparently on the 1911 both their fathers were miners, not vicars.

Kayleigh, I'm sure you know that family stories can sometimes be not 100% accurate, often with good intention. You wondered why contact could just stop - perhaps Ingrid's mother married and her husband forbade contact with a child that was the result of a liaison with another man?

Welcome to the boards, by the way!

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Jun 2014 10:33

ROBERT GASKELL HEAD MARRIED Male 29 1882 LANCS PEMBERTON BAKER AND CONFECTIONER
LILY GASKELL WIFE MARRIED Female 26 1885 LANC LOWTON ST MARYS -
ROBERT GASKELL SON - Male 1 1910 LANC ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD

WHITLEDGE HURST COTTAGE OLD ROAD ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD
Parish ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD

(above comes up 1911, 1880's was home of Theodore Drayton Grimke, quite a bit on him on google, not much help with times needed!)

Chris :)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jun 2014 10:36

Just thinking aloud, would a vicar be likely to have a phone in 1935?

This link is from the Lancashire phone book for 1935

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/7101467

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 3 Jun 2014 10:49

Hello,
Thanks so much for all your replys! :)
I'm currently in touch with a relation to Louisa Roby she is going to help me see if she is the right woman. I will ask my nan if she has her birth certificate, it says she was registered in Birkenhead, we think her adopted mother registered her.
Yeah thats the right record for Ingrid :)
I found that too Chris there doesn't seem to be much about Whitledge Hurst, goig to have another look.
Marie, she was very young when she used to visit so I'm not sticking with those facts 100% any possible leads I will take :) and thats a good theory! I found alot of robys who emigrated to America too, I thought that might be a reason too. And thanks alot for that link I will look now.
Thanks Chris I will look into that now, I know they had a big orchard too so maybe old photo's online will help :)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jun 2014 10:52

I don't know how comprehensive the Crockford's Clerical Directories are, if I understand correctly they're a list of all Anglican clergymen.

I checked the 1932 directory and there was no Anglican vicar called Roby so if he really was a vicar then perhaps another denomination?

Kayleigh - do you know the name of the family who Ingrid lived with? I see she seems to have retained her birth name if I'm right in thinking that is her marriage in the 1950s.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jun 2014 12:12

You have now given her name as Louisa..........does that mean that your original posting was an error?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jun 2014 19:23

Kayleigh...your original post is rather confusing...

you start off with Ingrid as your great grandmother with Louise/Louisa as her mother, your great great grandmother.

But later you refer to "your nan" three or four times - who is "your nan"? Or do you really mean your great nan i.e, Ingrid?

Jude

patchem

patchem Report 4 Jun 2014 07:16

As she marries in her birth name, presumably it was just an unofficial arrangement for her to be looked after?

Presumably if she visited her natural Mother they lived fairly close to her adopted family?

I do not understand about wearing a wig and glasses, did wigs exist for small children?

Also, Ashton is some distance from Birkenhead (about 19 miles).

Sorry for queries, just trying to get the information sorted.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2014 08:56

If Ingrid was the one who married SCOTT in Birkenhead, she was not adopted

How imaginative was Ingrid?

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 4 Jun 2014 11:05

Hi everyone,
Ingrid is my great nan. The story is rather muddled up. I'm jusy going off what other people tell me as I was only 14 when she died 7 years ago. Ingrids daughter who is my nan has given me more information.
Apparently it weren't a legal adoption, she was given to a woman called Alice Edwards in Birkenhead, apparently one of alices daughters was jealous of her and when Ingrid was 15 gave her to a care home in london. Ingrid then ran away with a girl from the home, she pawned a pair of gold earings her mum gave her when she was young for bus fair to liverpool. They slept rough untill police stopped them, they phoned the home and they didn't even know she was gone.
I am going to look into care homes in London today see what I can find.
I have found a family called Anderton Roby, I am thinking as she was only young she has thought it was Andersen? Just an idea.
I really don't think she made it up, she got her daughter to take her looking for her mothers house. She wouldn't have dragged her all the way there for no reason, she wasn't like that.

Mavis

Mavis Report 4 Jun 2014 12:27

If you get the Birth cert. for Ingrid you should have the address where Ingrid was born and hopefully Mothers "home" address.

I traced a member of the family born Illigit. by the 2 addresses on the birth cert.
which included a home address, mother was a servant to a Vicar who was the babys father, we had the Village then just had to look as to who the Vicar was.

Mavis :-)

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 4 Jun 2014 15:32

Thanks :) I need to find out where her birth certificate is, is there any way to get a copy? I am really baffled about the whole thing. Only started my family tree 3 days ago found out loads of relatives, but ingrid is the only one I haven't been able to add a mum an dad.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Jun 2014 15:42

Hello Kayleigh, it's easy to get a birth certificate, first look up the record - this is from FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Dec 1935
Roby Ingrid A Roby Birkenhead 8a 604

Then order the certificate on-line from GRO http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

There's a box to tick if the GRO reference is known - tick that because it referes to the volume and page numbers on the record above. The certificates cost £9.25 and usually take about 1 week to arrive.

Don't expect her father to be named as she was illegitimate. There's a chance he might be, but it is very unusual.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Jun 2014 19:00

Worth considering?

Name: Louisa Roby
Age in 1911: 7
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1904
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Ashton in Makerfield
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address: 49 School Lane Garswood Nr Wigan
Registration district: Wigan