Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

george montgomery clay county fermanagh c1815

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lexi

lexi Report 29 May 2014 12:31

any information or suggestions on how i can find out more about george montgomery would be greatly appreciated
all i have is a family story that george was a gardener in around 1843 in fermanagh ireland when he fell in love with the daughter of the big house an elizabeth montgomery whos parents were william montgomery c1785 and catherine scott
george and elizabeth eloped in 1842 and had 11 children in blantrye scotland
i would like to find out about georges sibblings and parents plus any info ican on elizabeth too. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 12:36

https://familysearch.org/

Can we assume that 'clay' is part of the location?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 12:40

What were the names of the children?

Which of them are you descended from?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 12:43

For anyone unaware, Blantyre is in South Lanarkshire

Potty

Potty Report 29 May 2014 12:45

Did either George or Elizabeth die in Scotland after 1855? If so, their death certs should give their parents' names. Also, if any of the children were born after 1855, their birth certs should give date and place of George and Elizabeth's marriage.

Potty

Potty Report 29 May 2014 12:55

A tree on Ancestry has this info but gives no sources. It does have images of the censuses. If you don't have access to Ancestry you should be able to view it on the Mundia site:

Birth: 12 Nov 1815 - Fermanagh, Ireland (Northern Ireland)
Marriage: 09 Jul 1842 (9 Jul 1842) - Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, Ireland (Northern Ireland)
Death: 19 Mar 1903 - Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parents: Charles Montgomery, Mary 'WCharles MONTGOMERY' __________
Spouse: Elizabeth Montgomery

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:14

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
GEORGE MONTGOMERY HEAD MARRIED Male 76 1815 COAL MINER (UNEMPLOYED) IRELAND Transcription
ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY WIFE MARRIED Female 73 1818 - IRELAND Transcription
DAVID MONTGOMERY SON UNMARRIED Male 25 1866 BAKER LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:15

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
GEORGE MONTGOMERY HEAD MARRIED Male 86 1815 FORMERLY MINER IRELAND Transcription
ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY WIFE MARRIED Female 82 1819 - IRELAND

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:15

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

Birth place First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Occupation Birth year
IRELAND GEORGE MONTGOMERY HEAD MARRIED Male 55 COAL MINER 1816 Transcription
IRELAND ELISABETH MONTGOMERY WIFE MARRIED Female 50 - 1821 Transcription
NEWARTHILL, LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND GEORGE MONTGOMERY SON UNMARRIED Male 15 COAL MINER 1856 Transcription
NEWARTHILL, LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND SARAH MONTGOMERY DAUGHTER - Female 12 - 1859 Transcription
NEWARTHILL, LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND ANDREW MONTGOMERY SON - Male 10 SCHOLAR 1861 Transcription
NEWARTHILL, LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND ANN MONTGOMERY DAUGHTER - Female 8 SCHOLAR 1863 Transcription
NEWARTHILL, LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND DAVID MONTGOMERY SON - Male 5 SCHOLAR 1866

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:17

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
GEORGE MONTGOMERY HEAD MARRIED Male 45 1816 COAL MINER IRELAND Transcription
ELISABETH MONTGOMERY WIFE MARRIED Female 40 1821 - IRELAND Transcription
WILLIAM MONTGOMERY SON UNMARRIED Male 16 1845 COAL MINER IRELAND Transcription
ELISABETH MONTGOMERY DAUGHTER - Female 7 1854 SCHOLAR GLASGOW, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
GEORGE MONTGOMERY SON - Male 5 1856 SCHOLAR BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
SARAH J MONTGOMERY DAUGHTER - Female 2 1859 - BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
ANDREW MONTGOMERY SON - Male 0 1861 - BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:18

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
GEORGE MONTGOMERY HEAD MARRIED Male 36 1815 LABOURER IN A FOUNDRY IRELAND Transcription
ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY WIFE MARRIED Female 30 1821 COTTON WINDER IRELAND Transcription
WILLIAM MONTGOMERY SON - Male 6 1845 SCHOLAR IRELAND Transcription
MICHAEL GLANCY LODGER UNMARRIED Male 35 1816 MASON LABOURER IRELAND Transcription
MARY QUINN LODGER UNMARRIED Female 21 1830 SILK WINDER IRELAND

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:19

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

GEORGE MONTGOMERY HEAD MARRIED Male 64 1817 FORMERLY COAL MINER IRELAND ARMAGH Transcription***********
ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY WIFE MARRIED Female 60 1821 WIFE IRELAND ARMAGH Transcription
GEORGE MONTGOMERY SON UNMARRIED Male 25 1856 COAL MINER BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
SARAH MONTGOMERY DAUGHTER UNMARRIED Female 21 1860 COTTON WEAVER (STEAM) BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
ANDREW MONTGOMERY SON UNMARRIED Male 19 1862 COAL MINER BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
ANNIE MONTGOMERY DAUGHTER UNMARRIED Female 17 1864 COTTON WEAVER (STEAM) BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE Transcription
DAVID MONTGOMERY SON UNMARRIED Male 15 1866 BAKER'S (ASSISTANT) BOTHWELL, LANARKSHIRE

***********NOTE stated birthplace

lexi

lexi Report 29 May 2014 13:23

thnkyou so much for all of the above. i am sorry i didnt state ,yes clay county.

lexi

lexi Report 29 May 2014 13:24

sorry i also meant to say i am desended from william 1844 his son andrew 1877 was my great grandfather .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 13:27

That's helpful, as it proves that we have the right family.

Potty

Potty Report 29 May 2014 13:49

lexi, it might be worth contacting the owner of the tree on Mundia - she does quote death records as sources for George and Elizabeth although she doesn't give any details.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2014 16:17

Your direct ancestor William was actually born in Ireland, so the move to Scotland was a few years after they eloped

lexi

lexi Report 29 May 2014 22:39

thankyou all for the help

Brian

Brian Report 8 Nov 2015 22:22

Hi Lexi - My Great,Great Grandfather was CHARLES MONTGOMERY - his Son my Great Grandfather was GEORGE MONTGOMERY , Newharthill , Lanarkshire , Scotland - he was born in Lisnakea , N Ireland , 1815 , and he married his Cousin My Great Granmother was ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY - Clay Estate - My Grandfather was their Son - DAVID MONTGOMERY , and my Father was HENRY MONTGOMERY - and myself BRIAN MONTGOMERY and my sons LEE MONTGOMERY & MARK MONTGOMERY - I got back as far as CHARLES & his Wife (don,t know her name) - but I know they got married in 1792 - would like to get back further - If you can help ?.
:-)

Potty

Potty Report 9 Nov 2015 11:41

Briand, welcome to the Boards.

In case Lexi isn't following this thread anymore, you can send her a message by clicking on her name. If she still has the same email address, GR will notify her of the message.