Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Stuart (c1760-c1810) Limerick

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 10 May 2014 21:32

Hi I am looking for any information about this John Stuart.

He was born c1760 in Limerick, son of Thomas Prendergast Smyth.

He married in 1789* a Mary*** (surname unknown - unless you can tell me!) She died in Dublin in 1848.****

He died between 1801** and 1823***

* in Jan 1791 his brother Charles, in India, wrote to his brother Thomas, in Ireland, thus "I was made extremely happy by the Receipt of a long expected letter from you, closed the 11th November 1789... It gives me great pleasure and Satisfaction to learn that John’s affairs are in a position of improvement, and I sincerely wish him and his Lady every Success & happiness, and which I beg you will express to them, in the kindest manner." From which I deduce a Marriage in 1789.

** in Sept 1801 his brother Charles, in Cape Town, wrote to his brother Thomas, in Ireland, thus "I embrace this opportunity of endorsing you a Bill of Exchange, on my Agents in London, for One hundred Guineas... ...the remaining fifty between John and Eliza." (Eliza was their sister). Thus I assume John was still alive in 1801 ('though news of his earlier death may not have reached Charles who had been at sea since April 1801... it's a long story!!)

*** by his Will dated 9 September 1823, Charles leaves "...to Mrs Mary Stuart relict of my brother John Stuart to be equally divided between her and her children three thousand pounds..."

**** Limerick Chronicle 09/12/1848,
At Middle Gardiner Street (Dublin), Mary, relict of the late John Stuart, Esq, of Limerick.

So, those are all the facts I have. I don't know the names of any of the children referred to in the Will mentioned above (if indeed any existed).

I look forward to hearing from you all...!

Simon

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 May 2014 21:48

Name: John Prendergast Smyth
Event Type: Probate
Event Date: 1873
Event Place: Limerick, Ireland
Document Number: 020
Volume Number: 112
Volume Date Range: Nov-Dec 1873
Property Name:
Parish:
Electoral Division:
Barony:
County: Limerick

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 May 2014 22:04

Why is John's surname Stuart, and his father's Smyth?
Or have I misunderstood what you've written?

Was Thomas Prendergast Smyth his stepfather?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 May 2014 22:08

Just in case this is relevant:

Ireland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 about John
Name: John
Baptism Date: 5 Aug 1761
Baptism Place: Saint John, Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Father's Name: Tho
FHL Film Number: 874438

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 May 2014 23:46

Simon...This may be the marriage of John Stuart ....

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. ANNE

Marriage of JOHN STEWART and MARY ARCHDALL on 4 June 1789

Husband Wife
Name JOHN STEWART MARY ARCHDALL
Address N/R N/R
Occupation ESQR N/R
Father N/R N/R
Mother N/R N/R

Married by Licence..by the Honorable and Rev.William Dawson

You can check it out on..
churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Gee

Gee Report 11 May 2014 09:20

The above Probate record can't be the correct man as he would have been about 130 when he died

There is lots online about the family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prendergast_Smyth,_1st_Viscount_Gort

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 May 2014 09:41

In the link posted by Gins, it says Thomas Prendergast Smyth died unmarried - which would explain why the sons had their mother's surname.

"He died unmarried on 23 May 1817, and was succeeded in his titles according to the special remainder by his nephew Charles Vereker."

Gee

Gee Report 11 May 2014 10:05

This is the death of Ann Stewart' husband (the daughter of Thomas Prendergast Smyth)

India, Select Deaths and Burials, 1719-1948

Name:Charles James Coote

Birth Date:1815

Death Date:
24 May 1853

Burial Date:25 May 1853

Burial Place:Rangoon, Bengal, India

FHL Film Number:498992

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858

Name:Charles James Coote Esquire

Probate Date:
10 Mar 1854

If you don't have a copy of the Will, I can email to you, just PM me your email address

Irish Records Extraction Database

Name:Charles James Coote

Sex:Male

Marriage:1834

Marriage Place:Diocese of Cork & Ross, County Cork, Ireland

Spouse:Anne Stewart

Source:
Albert Eugene Casey, Eleanor L. Downey-Prince, and Ursula Dietrich.. Index of O'Kief, Coshe Mange, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater in Ireland. 16 vols. Birmingham, Alabama: Knocknagree Historical Fund, 1952-1971. See

Simon

Simon Report 11 May 2014 12:50

Wow! You lot have been busy haven't you! Thank you...

Yes, you're all on the right track - sort of. It is all the same family. Quite why the 4 children of Thomas Smyth carried the surname Stuart is a mystery. Again, we have old family letters which shed a little (but rather dim) light on this, viz;

"...I thought, “shall I tell her the true history of the Stuart family, of that Scotch marriage which was never proved because it was never questioned till too late. My great-grandfather (Thomas Prendergast Smyth) was for 40 years Member of Limerick, the place of his birth, was received with his Scotch bride into society and no difficulty or doubt arose till quite late in life when his (younger) brother (John Prendergast Smyth - later 1st Viscount Gort) told him his marriage wd be disputed after his death. My g. grandfather started off to seek proofs of his marriage, was taken ill on the journey, returned home and died. His children remained in Limerick, continued in society and to call themselves nephew of their uncle Ld Gort..."

Yes, there is quite a bit about the family in t'internet - John's eldest brother was Charles 'Hindoo' Stuart, a somewhat colourful Major General in HEIC.

ArgyllGran - the record you show for John Prendergast Smyth relates, I think, to John's uncle, the 1st Viscount Gort who died in 1817, 'though why Probate wasn't granted until 1873, I know not.

The Baptism record is, quite possibly what I'm after. Using it, I've looked to see whther any of John's 3 siblings (Charles, Thomas, Eliza) appear in the same manner - but sadly not, and not with Stuart, Stewart or Smyth. (There is a record for Eliza's marriage to Joshua Paul Barker in 1791, where she is referred to as 'Stewart'... oh, more confusion!)

Thanks Gins, yes, this Anne is the niece of John, daughter of Thomas Stuart, granddaughter of Thomas Prendergast Stuart. As you say, She married Charles James Coote in 1834. I will PM you my email for a copy of his Will, thanks. Anne died in Leamington, Warwickshire, 27/5/1859. (At Leamington, after a short illness, Anne, relict of the late Col. Coote, 18th Regiment, and daughter of the late Thomas Stewart, Esq. of Lifford, near Limerick.
http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/06%2001%2059.pdf)
One of her brothers was Robert Stuart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stuart)

So, I now have a potential Baptism date, thanks. Anything else would be more than welcome!

Simon

Simon

Simon Report 11 May 2014 13:04

Eringobragh1916 - sorry, I didn't acknowledge your item in my last message. I was getting quite excited by this one but... then I found this: "Mary Archdall was born on 11 October 1764.1 She was the daughter of Colonel Mervyn Archdall and Hon. Mary Dawson.1 She married Rt. Hon. Sir John Stewart, 1st Bt., son of Reverend Hugh Stewart and Sarah Hamilton, on 4 June 1789.1 She died on 28 May 1795 at age 30.1"
http://www.thepeerage.com/p26364.htm#i263632

My Mary was clearly still alive until 1848.

Ho hum...

Gee

Gee Report 11 May 2014 13:17

There is this record but no way of proving if it your John

Web: Ireland, Burial Index, 1600-1927

Name:Jno Stuart

Death Date:abt 1810

Burial Date:8 Apr 1810

Burial Place:St. Paul, Dublin, Ireland

URL:
http://churchrecords.irishgene...

There is a Will for 1810 and it may or may not be the above. I read through earlier today and it mentions two daughters, not sure of the names now - Sarah Mary Stuart ?

You say John' wife, Mary died in 1848, I'm not seeing a record for that?

Simon

Simon Report 13 May 2014 14:01

Thanks Gins. I'll PM you.

Simon

Gee

Gee Report 13 May 2014 19:25

Hi Simon

There is this Will

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858

Name:John Stuart

Probate Date:
26 Jun 1810

Must be the same family, as Mary Sarah Stuart and Charlotte ? Stuart are mentioned

Looks like that 'death' I posted earlier is correct

Do you want me to send you this too, to look through it?