Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Robertson born about in the 1800s.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Crofter

Crofter Report 26 Apr 2014 11:55

I am trying to find out more about one of my ancestors and hoping he is on someone else's tree. too. He was born in Chapel of Garioch, Rayne, Aberdeenshire, and married Anne Duffus. They spent most of their lives in Rayne, and had several children, the last one being Agnes in 1938. I cannot find a recording of his death, but on the 1841 census Anne is a widow. The loose end is really bugging me and i keep going back to it to no avail! Hoping there is a conclusion to this part of my search, and would be grateful if anyone who may know anything else would contact me.
Thank you,
Regards, Heather.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Apr 2014 12:08

A tree on Ancestry says that he was born 7 Nov. 1802, Durns, Chapel of Garioth. Parents Forbes Robertson (1768-1805) and Margaret Diack (1780-1831).

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Apr 2014 12:39

Try looking for info at...........

https://familysearch.org/

Also, look on here in 'search all member trees'......under the 'search' button

At least one member has the one detailed above in her GR tree

Presumably, the last child was 1838..................

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Apr 2014 12:48

Hello Heather, welcome to the boards.

Have you checked on Scotland's People for his death?
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Apr 2014 09:53

I will let Heather know that she has replies to her query :-)

Crofter

Crofter Report 27 Apr 2014 13:27

Hi everyone...thank you for your replies, so kind. I have looked on Scotlands people for his death, and may have to go back and look again...unfortunately Robertson is a common Scottish surname, and all the remotely possible ones drew blanks. I went on Family search yesterday, with the same result, but I haven't searched any members' trees, so I intend to give that a try, nothing ventured etc! I have looked a few times at Forbes Robertson and Margaret Diack, too, but something tells me it's not right! I just seem to want to know as much information about ALL my past that I can find, and i think I must be addicted!!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Apr 2014 21:05

If he was deceased by 1841, can I ask how you know where he was born please?

I agree with your comment about the popularity of the surname Robertson in Scotland. Don't despair though, I was surprised how much I managed to find on my Edinburgh Robertsons.

Have you found the burial place of his wife please? She may be buried beside her husband and a search of burial records may give you a date of death for him and if you are lucky maybe even his age at the time of his death.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Apr 2014 21:07

To get in touch with the person who has the man in her tree simply click on 'find out more' against her name

Crofter

Crofter Report 29 Apr 2014 16:38

Hi root gatherer, re: William Robertson, I have seen the copy of the marriage between him and Anne Duffus, which says he was born in C of Garioch, but of course it doesn't give their ages, and as he died before the first census I have never had a date of birth, and cannot find a death notice, I have worked out from daughter Agnes being born in 1838/9 and Anne being described as a widow in 1841 that his death was in a very small window...hence the frustration! I have recently found that Anne's death was in Aberdeen, at the age of 71, in 1872, and there is no mention of her late husband. I have spent a lot of time going over much of my information these past 2 days, and I wonder if I was wrong abour Forbes not being his Father, I have the 1841 census for Forbes, but always discounted it because there are 2 sons aged 40 on it,...but looking again, William could have been of that family, IF they had twins and then William a year or so later?! Stranger things have happened!

Crofter

Crofter Report 29 Apr 2014 16:43

Hi Reggie and Margee, I have contacted 4 people about the possibility of sharing this same ancestor, and Margee I am beginning to think it could be the one you have mentioned with Forbes Robertson, so how would I go about seeing someone's family tree please? :-)

Crofter

Crofter Report 29 Apr 2014 16:51

Sorry Rootgathere, I meant that Forbes had got a son and a daughter aged 40 in that census! I Working it out I made it that William would have been only 37 /8 when he died, so it is feaseable he could have been born to that family :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 29 Apr 2014 16:53

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
First Name AGNES
Last Name ROBERTSON
Age 2
Year Of Birth 1839
Gender Female
Occupation -
House Number -
House Name LOUESK
Street LOUESK
Parish RAYNE
City -
Town -
Registration District -
County Aberdeenshire
Country SCOTLAND
Birth County Aberdeenshire

ANDREW ROBERTSON 8 1833
Transcription
ANNE ROBERTSON 40 1801
Transcription
JAMES ROBERTSON 10 1831
Transcription
JOHN ROBERTSON 5 1836

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
First Name AGNES
Last Name ROBERTSON
Relationship DAUGHTER
Condition UNMARRIED
Gender Female
Age 12
Year Of Birth 1839
Occupation AT HOME
Birth Place SCOTLAND
Birth Town RAYNE
Birth County ABERDEENSHIRE
House Number -
House Name LEWIESK
Street LEWIESK
Town -
Parish RAYNE
City -
County Aberdeenshire

ALEXR ROBERTSON SON 33 1818 RAYNE
Transcription
ANNE ROBERTSON HEAD 49 1802 CHAPEL
Transcription
GEORGE ROBERTSON SON 26 1825 CHAPEL
Transcription
MARGT ROBERTSON DAUGHTER 25 1826 RAYNE

With the Scottish naming pattern generally being used, I expected a son to be called Forbes. Perhaps they did have one that hasn't been mentioned?

Or perhaps they didn't adhere to the pattern.

Crofter

Crofter Report 30 Apr 2014 14:28

Thank you for your reply alviegal....yes, it is puzzling that the name Forbes doesn't appear for one of the children. Somewhere i have seen a William Forbes Robertson, but can't remember where...the mystery is still ongoing, maybe?!

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 30 Apr 2014 18:39

Don't forget good old FreeReg!

County Aberdeenshire
Place Chapel of Garioch
Church Chapel of Garioch
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth 07 Nov 1802
BaptismDate 10 Nov 1802
Forename William
Sex M
FatherForename Forbes
MotherForename Margt
FatherSurname ROBERTSON
MotherSurname DIACK
Abode Durno
FatherOccupation
Notes wit. Peter DIACK and Alexr WATT both in Durno

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 30 Apr 2014 18:42

Alviegal, there was indeed a son called Forbes

County Aberdeenshire
Place Chapel of Garioch
Church Chapel of Garioch
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth 10 Feb 1806
BaptismDate 19 Feb 1806
Forename Forbes
Sex M
FatherForename Forbes
MotherForename Margaret
FatherSurname ROBERTSON
MotherSurname DIACK
Abode Durno
FatherOccupation
Notes wit. Peter and John DIACKs in Durno

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 30 Apr 2014 18:44

Other children born to Forbes and Margaret -
Peter bapt 26 Dec 1800
James bapt 19 June 1804

No sign of twins. Don't forget that ages were rounded down in 1841 so there could be up to 4 years difference in age between two adult siblings.

Crofter

Crofter Report 1 May 2014 07:42

Hi Beverley W! Thank you for the info! I have downloaded the entry for Forbes Jnr, and now I DO feel sure these are my ancestors! Which makes Forbes Robertson and Margaret Diack my Gt x5 Grandparents after all...I am so pleased to have it confirmed. :-) I am so addicted to this researching, as we all are I am sure, and have got back an awful long way with several branches, but i always seem to want to know more! Strangely, we live on a croft in N.E Scotland and I've discovered that absolutely scores of my ancestors lived within 20 miles or so of us, and many of them were crofters! I only knew that my Mother, and Grandparents came from Aberdeen, and expected that all my ancestors must have done! Many thanks. ;-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 1 May 2014 22:24

Well done BeverleyW

Crofter

Crofter Report 2 May 2014 07:43

Yes, well done indeed to BeverleyW....I had a lot of info regarding the Gtx5 possibility, but different places named different children for them, it was quite confusing and I almost lost heart ... but.so good to be able to say "yes" they are definitely my Ancestors! . ;-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 2 May 2014 20:59

Don't know if you have this? Memorial inscriptions.

booklet: Kirkyard of Kirkton of Rayne (AA176)
burial ground: Kirkton of Rayne

stone: 96
Margaret Diack 1831
Forbes Robertson 1845
Jane Robertson 2 Oct 1877
James Robertson 18 May 1882
Peter Robertson 23 July 1883
Forbes Robertson n.d.