Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with finding my alias ancestors

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 11:32

Hi i have been searching my grandfathers family and found on f*****g that in the birth and marriage records that they have two surnames making me a little confused as to their real surnames.What I have is
My great grandfather James Chapman born 1875 Emborough Somerset his father was Isaac Chapman born 1824 Binegar Isaac marries Elizabeth Martin in 1850 St James Ashwick Banns Chapman alias Kerton grooms father Joseph Chapman Kerton.Joseph marries Elizabeth Ferry 1811 Binegar Somerset.I have seen other people on F*****g with the names Chapman alias Kerton and Kerton alias Chapman but have not found the link with them as yet.I am more interested in the alias names to begin with.
Any pointers in the right direction would be of great help.
There is a marriage I have seen of an Edward Chapman to Martha Kerton in 1800 in Bath but I know the family lived around the Shepton Mallet,Ashwick Stoke Lane,Binegar and Emborough areas.I can no longer see any census reports to help with my search.
As I said any help would be gratefully received.Thank you :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jan 2014 11:40

Allison -
I'm unclear about your use of asterisks, nor why you can't see census records.

However, as a starter, here are Isaac and Elizabeth in 1851:

1851 England Census about Isaac Chapman
Name: Isaac Chapman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Chapman
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Chapman
Where born: Ashwick, Somerset, England

Civil Parish: Ashwick
County/Island: Somerset

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View Image

Registration District: Shepton Mallet
Sub-registration District: Stoke Lane
ED, institution, or vessel: 5b
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Schedule Number: 27
Piece: 1933
Folio: 79
Page Number: 7
Household Members:
Name Age
Isaac Chapman 27
Elizabeth Chapman 21
John Chapman 4 Mo
Elizabeth Chapman 67 - Isaac's mother, born Milton, Somerset

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jan 2014 11:42

Isn't there another thread about this?

And what do the asterisks represent?

The way you have posted suggests an obscenity..............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jan 2014 11:47

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1336295

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Jan 2014 11:53

Hello Allison, I do agree with Reggie - it does look like you're masking a rude word. The guidelines given by Genes' community manager is that it's perfectly acceptable to mention other sites by name as long as it's not done with the intention of comparing GR in an unfavourable light. You're not doing that in this case and it makes life eassier for us if we know which sites you've been looking on.

So, are you referring to FreeREG? (Which I often think sounds like a campaign to release our esteemed colleague above from some wrongful detainment).

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jan 2014 11:57

I would presume that Joseph Chapman Kerton was born before his mother Martha Kerton's marriage to Edward Chapman hence registered in her maiden name but father' surname used as middle name.

What on earth is f*****g? Freereg? If so why don't you say freereg?

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 11:59

Yes it means freereg I did not know if I could post the name.They do say that its the mind it goes into lol.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Jan 2014 12:00

If this is the FreeREG record referred to it doesn't actually give an alias for the father's name

County Somerset
Place Ashwick
Church St James Pr
Register Number: 74
Marriage Date: 14 Oct 1850

Groom Forename: Isaac
Groom Surname : CHAPMAN
Groom Condition: Bachelor
Groom Occupation: Labourer
Groom Abode: Ashwick

Bride Forename: Elizabeth
Bride Surname: MARTIN
Bride Condition: Spinster
Bride Abode: Ashwick

Groom Father Forename: Joseph
Groom Father Surname: CHAPMAN
Groom Father Occupation: Line-Runner
BrideFatherForename William
BrideFatherSurname MARTIN
Bride Father Occupation: Labourer

Witness One Forename: Eliza
Witness One Surname: GREEN
Witness Two Forename: George
Witness Two Surname: BURR

Notes Banns. CHAPMAN alias KERTON
File Number: 6068

It reads to me as though it's only Isaac had the alias. Might his mother have remarried at some point and he's also been known by a stepfather's name?

EDIT: - missed the bit about Martha Kerton, but if that marriage was 1800 and Isaac was born 1824 then that wouldn't fit?

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:03

Thank you Margee.Could someone look for any info about Edward Chapman and Martha Kerton to confirm this for me I have looked but not come up with anything.
Thank you :-)

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:07

It says Notes Banns Chapman alias Kerton.Isaac and Elizabeth's fist son John Chapman born 1850 is also listed as Chapman Kerton.There are also other names on freereg with Chapman alias Kerton.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Jan 2014 12:12

Allison, your opening post said "grooms father Joseph Chapman Kerton" which doesn't seem to be the case according to the record.

Just trying to get facts as clear as possible to determine exactly where/when the Kerton connection came in as it may have come from Isaac's mother's side and not his father's.

When did Isaac's father die?

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:17

Joseph Chapman occupation was a limeburner.
1851 census says that there is a Edward Chapman born 1816 living next door to Isaac Chapman Isaac's mother is also living there as Joseph has died. I have also seen an Edward Chapman on freereg as Chapman alias Kerton.
Isaac's parents were Joseph Chapman and Elizabeth Ferry.
I am just guessing that Joseph's parents are Edward Chapman and Martha Kerton that being where the Chapman Kerton come from as there is no other explanation this is where I am stuck.

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:29

I do not know.I know that in 1851 she is listed as widow former lime burners wife.The only chidren that I have found for Elizabeth and Joseph are Elizabeth,Thomas and Isaac.The Edward Chapman who is living next door to Isaac in 1851 could also be a son.

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:32

You mean that Isaac's mother married again to a Kerton after Joseph died and Isaac took the name.

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:40

I just had to check Isaac's birth is under Isaac Kerton not Chapman,father Joseph Kerton Limeburner.Isaac is married under the surname Chapman as is above.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Jan 2014 12:42

It's a possibility Allison, it's quite often the reason why someone has an alias surname - that's why I asked when Isaac's father died.

BUT: The 1811 marriage does show indeed that Joseph was Chapman Kerton so definitely the Kerton comes in at least a generation back from Isaac.

County Somerset
Place Binegar
Church Holy Trinity Pr
RegisterNumber 110

MarriageDate 15 Apr 1811
Groom Forename: Joseph Chapman
Groom Surname: KERTON
GroomParish Of This Parish

Bride Forename: Elizabeth
Bride Surname: FERRY
Bride Parish: Of This Parish

Witness One Forename: Charles
Witness One Surname: ROBERTS
Witness Two Forename: Ann
Witness Two Surname: FERRY

Notes: Banns
FileNumber 6136

(It helps us if we can see the records in question so we can get a clear picture).

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 12:49

I will look for a birth for Joseph KERTON. Am I right in thinking that Joseph was born a Kerton and it is his mother who married again to a Chapman that is where the Chapman comes in ????????????? It is so confusing.

Potty

Potty Report 18 Jan 2014 13:00

Looks as if Edward is indeed Isaac's brother :

County Somerset
Place Binegar
Church Holy Trinity Pr
RegisterNumber 30
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 05 Mar 1815
Forename Edward
Sex M
FatherForename Joseph
MotherForename Elizabeth
FatherSurname KERTON
MotherSurname
Abode Binegar
FatherOccupation Lime burner
Notes
FileNumber 6132

There is also a Rebecca baptised the same day as Isaac.

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 13:16

I can not find a birth for Joseph Kerton

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 13:18

Thank you for all your help I will look again under Joseph Chapman