Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RE: Freda Hebdon

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 19:47

In a previous post I asked for information about an Arthur Jackson who married a Freda Burgess. Thanks to people's help I now know that his name was James Arthur Jackson who was imprisoned for bigamy in 1920.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1211768

Freda Burgess as I know her, was actually Freda Hebdon who appears as Freda Jackson in the 1911 census, living with Arthur in Leeds. Her birth place is listed as Finchley, Hertfordshire; however I can't find a record of this birth. Can anybody help? Her father is recorded as Alfred Hebdon, gardener, deceased on her 1910 wedding certificate to Arthur. I don't know where the name Burgess came from. She also sometimes included the middle name Emily.

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Jan 2014 20:04

How old is she on 1911 census please?

Andy

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 20:09

Doh! Sorry ~ 23 born abt 1888

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Jan 2014 20:50

She does appear to come out of nowhere!

Also I can't see a marriage or death for her father that fits the given facts. Maybe she made the name up.

Andy

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 21:00

Hmm that's what was worrying me! On her wedding certificate in 1915 (2nd marriage) she said her father was called Alfred Jackson, deceased, gardener. But then she also said her name was Freda Emily Burgess so no idea what was going on!

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 21:20

Her father was Alfred Jackson and she married Arthur Jackson
????????????

EDIT

Opening post says :
Her father is recorded as Alfred Hebdon, gardener, deceased on her 1910 wedding certificate

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 21:25

so this is her 2nd marriage ?

Marriages Jun 1915
Burgess Freda E - Francis H Abson- Goole 9c 1925

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 21:37

Are you sure you have the right Freda ?

The one who married Adson looks to be a lot younger according to someone's tree ... and not born in Hertfordshire

Name:
Freda Emily Burgess

Birth: 1891 - Yorkshire, England
Death: 1934 - Goole, Yorkshire
Marriage: 1915 - Goole, Yorkshire
Spouse: Francis Henry Abson

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 21:40

It's been very confusing..
I originally had my granddad's birth certificate which said Freda Jackson, formerly Burgess so we assumed that that must be her maiden name.
I ordered the 1915 marriage certificate to Abson which states her name as Freda Emily Burgess and her father's name as Alfred Jackson, deceased gardener.
We had originally discounted the Freda Jackson from Finchley in the 1911 census because the maiden name was Hebdon but we had a look at the wedding certificate and it states her as Freda Hebdon, and her dad as Alfred Hebdon, deceased gardener.
The Alfred / deceased / gardener seemed a big coincidence so I assume she must have made a mistake and given his name as Jackson?

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 21:41

Name:
Freda E Abson

Birth Date:abt 1891

Date of Registration:Mar 1934

Age at Death:43

Registration District:Goole

Inferred County:Yorkshire West Riding

Volume:9c
Page:1039

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 21:43

She was 27 when she married Abson according to the marriage certificate I ordered in 1915.
She is 22 in 1910 on the marriage certificate to Jackson

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 21:45

When/ where was you grandfather born?

Does Freda's marriage cert say she's a widow ?

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 21:53

Yes the one to Abson states that she was a widow. However James Arthur Jackson was imprisoned for bigamy so I wondered if she had told her son that he had died instead of admitting that he had left. I could never find a death record for an Arthur Jackson in 1914 or 1915 and there is no record of a man falling from a train and dying from his injuries as she had claimed.
My grandfather was born in Sculcoates, Yorkshire in 1914

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 21:58

I wonder if Freda was FRIEDA from abroad ?

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 21:58

Sorry registered in Sculcoates, Yorkshire

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 22:00

I wondered about the possibility of being born outside of the country but with the inconsistencies with her surname, I'm not sure how easy that would be to follow. Why would she state Finchley, Hertfordshire as her birth town?

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 22:11

Marries as Hebdon to Jackson
but then married as Burgess to Abson

Gives Burgess as her maiden name on son's birth cert

Would normally say Jackson, late Hebdon, formerly Burgess

Mike *

Mike * Report 13 Jan 2014 22:33

I see you already have another post about this family

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1211768

Mavis

Mavis Report 13 Jan 2014 22:58

there you go -- I have been trying to locate a Freda / Frieda / Frida or then could be Alfreda or even Winifred born Finchley [should be Middlesex] Hertfordshire

Finchley comes under Barnet Middlesex

along the way in 1901 found 2 children born Finchley in Sheffield

in the Page Hall Orphanage

Irene Fox 1887 and sister Dorothy Fox 1890

Irene is Annie M I Fox / Dorothy is just Dorothy Fox --- there is a tree for Dorothy on Ancestry but no Irene /Annie

its bed time so that will keep unless some one would care to follow them ??

Mavis

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jan 2014 23:13

In my first message on this post, I did include the link and explain that I had previously asked for information on Arthur Jackson as I didn't want to get in trouble for posting twice. However in this post I only wanted help in locating birth records for Freda Hebdon.