Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another find my past look up please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 26 Oct 2013 13:13

New Edit: 3rd Nov
Hi
Could someone now please look up Devon parish records for William Dunn & Eva Spencer marriage 1883 Plymouth would like to know who he put as father.

Thank you in advance

Wendy

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Oct 2013 13:20

Baptism

Surname: Dunn
Forenames: Henry
Father's Forename: William
Mother's Forename: Ann
Father's Occupation: Shoemaker
Year: 1822
Month: Oct
Day: 28
Abode: Cullumpton
Parish: Cullompton
Town Or City:
County: Devon
Notes:
Record source: Devon Baptisms - Transcripts
Data provider: Devon Family History Society

Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2013 13:22

Parish Record Collection - Baptism Record

Surname: Dunn
Forenames: Henry
Father's Forename: William
Mother's Forename: Ann
Father's Occupation: Shoemaker
Year: 1822
Month: Oct
Day: 28
Abode: Cullumpton
Parish: Cullompton
Town Or City:
Notes:
Record source: Devon Baptisms - Transcripts
Data provider: Devon Family History Society

I can't see his marriage on Findmypast Parish Records.

Kath. x

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 26 Oct 2013 13:23

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much Chris & Kath:-D :-D :-D :-D. just need his marriage now to comfirm it's the right Henry all census says he was born 1822 Cullompton.

Wendy :-D :-D :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2013 13:24

The GRO reference for the marriage (but you probably already have this):-

Name: COOK, Eliz
Registration district: Tiverton
Year of registration: 1842
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912
Volume no: 10
Page no: 385

MarriageFinder: Eliz Cook married one of the following people:

BOND, William
DAYMAN, Edward Arthur
DUNN, Henry<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
MARSHALL, John
TRENLETT, Eliz
DUNSFORD, Ellen Maria
SMALE, Harriet

Kath. x

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 26 Oct 2013 13:28

Hi Kath,

Yes have GRO info and they gave some of their children Cook as middle name.
Think I'll have to send for certificate to be sure but think its right Henry.

Wendy

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 26 Oct 2013 14:55

Henry Dunn

International Genealogical Index (IGI)

birth: 1823 Cullompton, Dvnshr, Engl
marriage: 25 July 1842 Tiverton, Dvnshr, Engl

father: John Dunn****************************************

spouse: Elizabeth Cook

children: Mary Ann Dunn, Elizabeth Dunn, Agnes Cook Dunn, Jane Dunn, William Dunn

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 26 Oct 2013 15:21

Hi Mel,

I'm not sure about that one as I have seen it but I think its a submitted tree that someone not checked the actual records so would like the marriage record of Henry and Eliza to see if its John or William as father as I'm not sure if Mary Ann is Henry's daughter as I have her with Henry's granddaughter on the 1901 &1911 census with husband James William Taylor in Nottingham but on her marriage she has put William Dunn as father and she was born in Barnstaple in 1845 and is with William on 1861 census. Now William married Lydia Stribling 1837 and I've seem a copy of his marriage and his father is William Dunn a shoemaker so all this makes me believe that Henry's father is also William the shoemaker. I'll send for the marriage to Eliza Cook to be sure.

sorry if this is all confusing the Dunn's have been hard to following.

Wendy

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 26 Oct 2013 15:55

It is a confusing is'nt it?

Mary Ann Dunn

birth: 9 May 1845 Pilton, Dvnshr., Eng.

father: Henry Dunn
mother: Elizabeth Cook

Elizabeth Dunn

birth: 21 February 1847 Pilton, Dnvshr, Engl
death: 18 April 1873

father: Henry Dunn
mother: Elizabeth Cook

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 26 Oct 2013 15:59

Most of their children are on IGI for their births.

I wonder if his father was John William Dunn and he dropped the John??? It will be interesting to know what the marriage cert says and for his fathers occupation.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 26 Oct 2013 18:10

Hi Mel,

Sorry had to go off for a while. Ahh so he died have a daughter Mary Ann too Thank you so much for your help.

I never thought of that could have been John William Dunn, there is a lot of tree's on the Mundia site that has William as Henry's father, they also have the 1841 census with William & Ann with Henry as a 15yr old son and its the only Henry Dunn I can find, I'll get the certificate ordered in the week.

I haven't been able to find Henry and Eliza on 1851 or 1861 census either, they came to Nottingham sometime between 1881 &1886 when he died.

The 1901 & 1911 census with Mary Ann and her husband Henry James Taylor like i said was living with Henry's granddaughter as Aunt & Uncle but there marriage says the William Dunn was her father, so wonder what happened to Henry's daughter Mary Ann.

Wendy

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 26 Oct 2013 18:10

Hi Mel,

Sorry had to go off for a while. Ahh so he died have a daughter Mary Ann too Thank you so much for your help.

I never thought of that could have been John William Dunn, there is a lot of tree's on the Mundia site that has William as Henry's father, they also have the 1841 census with William & Ann with Henry as a 15yr old son and its the only Henry Dunn I can find, I'll get the certificate ordered in the week.

I haven't been able to find Henry and Eliza on 1851 or 1861 census either, they came to Nottingham sometime between 1881 &1886 when he died.

The 1901 & 1911 census with Mary Ann and her husband Henry James Taylor like i said was living with Henry's granddaughter as Aunt & Uncle but there marriage says the William Dunn was her father, so wonder what happened to Henry's daughter Mary Ann.

Wendy

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 3 Nov 2013 09:55

Hi

Could you please have a look on the Irish Prison Records for William Dunn at Limerick Prison Ireland in 1880 to see what it says about him, there's also a William Dunn same prison 1887 maybe same William.

Thank you in advance

Wendy

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 3 Nov 2013 10:16

nudge

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Nov 2013 12:24

The one in 1880 was born 1857, Chard, was a sailor, the crime was a naval offence for which he served 42 days from 8 Dec. 1880 to 18 Jan. 1881.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Nov 2013 12:33

The 1887 one was born 1867, Thurles, a soldier charged with assault, served 7 days.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 3 Nov 2013 12:42

Thank you Margee the one born Chard 1857 is the one I'm interested in, I cannot find anything else on him aft that date.

Wendy

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 3 Nov 2013 13:17

Wendy

I have been looking at the records you mentioned, but to view the transcriptions and images you need to have a World subscription.

I thought they might be covered under the full sub which I have, but not so.

I know this might sound daft, but I didn't realise I had some credits on fmp and managed to view the one for 1880, this is what it states.

William Dunn Age 23

Height 5'5"

Hair brown

Eyes brown

complextion Sallow

Tattoos on both arms

Born Chard

Last residence Limerick

Occupation Sailor

I managed to save the original so I will send by the GR pm system

George

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 3 Nov 2013 13:25

Wendy I have tried several times to send the original image but it keeps failing, if you like to send me your email address I will send that way, will leave it with you

George

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 3 Nov 2013 13:27

Ohh Thank you George That's very kind of you, I'm hoping he's the son of Henry & Elizabeth Dunn, i've just been on the national Archives site to look at navy registers and there's one that's says born 1858 so will have to get my daughter to order it to see if it helps

Wendy