Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Baptism Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

lilliesnan

lilliesnan Report 6 Oct 2013 18:28

This may seem an odd question but I am hoping some kind person may have an explanation.....

While checking Norfolk baptism, marriage and burial records on FreeReg for my Bridges ancestors I found 2 baptism records for HENRY BRIDGES in 1792.

The parents, date of birth, date of baptism and church are the same on both BUT one record gives a file number of 16999 and no register number.........the second record gives a file number of 17235 and a register number of 41. It also states NOTES: PAUPERS.

Why would there be 2 records for one baptism?

Susan

Christine

Christine Report 6 Oct 2013 20:42

Hi Susan

It may be that the register entry has been transcribed twice, but the second person who did it was more thorough!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 6 Oct 2013 21:22

Is it one of the Parishes that has images for the registers available on Family Search?
http://tinyurl.com/pqzc7ma
If so then it would be well worth having a look to see if there is any information not transcribed.

Maybe the first entry was for a private baptism and the second made when the child was received into the Church.

Chris

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Oct 2013 01:01

There are, in fact, 4 lines that differ, not 3:
Church St Mary At
RegisterNumber
Notes
FileNumber 16999

and
Church St Mary
RegisterNumber 41
Notes Paupers
FileNumber 17235

The church made its own backup copies of parish registers - in most districts these were the Bishop's Transcripts (BTs), but in Norfolk, one often comes across Archdeacon's Transcripts (ATs).
The BTs/ATs are supposed to be identical copies of the originals, although sometimes errors were corrected.

For images, go to:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND
Then browse down the following paths:
England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 > Beeston next Mileham > Baptisms > 1783-1803 > Image 33 of 36
England, Norfolk Archdeac...'s Transcripts, 1600-1812 > Norfolk > Beeston > 1600-1812 > Baptisms, Marriages, Burials > Image 138 of 188

lilliesnan

lilliesnan Report 7 Oct 2013 11:53

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.

Didn't know how to find original documents on family search...........now I can check the others I have found as well - an added bonus thanks to you wonderful people.

Susan :-D

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Oct 2013 12:05

Susan - the collection "England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900" is partly indexed, so do a search on there first before you take the "Browse through 293,422 images" link. It's much easier if it's indexed - there'll be an image link in the right column.

You can see this at this hit (for John Smith):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VNN6-MTL

lilliesnan

lilliesnan Report 7 Oct 2013 15:38

Thank you mgnv........I will do that.