Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Herbert Close born 1864 Hull, Yorkshire

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 28 Aug 2013 13:43

Does any Australian GR member have Herbert in their tree? Parents John Close and Eve Elizabeth Borrill. He married Florence (Flora) Louisa Want in 1897 and emigrated to Australia in July 1901, travelling on the Oroya from London to Sydney.

Herbert had 5 brothers, but as far as I can tell none of them produced any male heirs to carry on this particular line. It would be wonderful to learn that Herbert succeeded in Australia where his siblings failed!

Any information or observations gratefully received. Thank you.

Catherine

Catherine Report 28 Aug 2013 13:52

births search is only available up to 1912 for NSW but I did find these two:-

33665/1902 CLOSE ANNIE E HERBERT FLORENCE L District:- MOSMAN

37461/1907 CLOSE STANLEY B HERBERT FLORENCE L District:-MOSMAN

Catherine

Catherine Report 28 Aug 2013 13:56

Possible death for him?

17664/1914 CLOSE HERBERT father's name:- JOHN mother's name:- EVA E District:- ST LEONARDS

Catherine

Catherine Report 28 Aug 2013 14:00

stanley looks to have gone on to marry:-

404/1937 CLOSE STANLEY BORRILL PALAMOUNTAIN ELIZABETH GWEN SYDNEY

....................but can't find any births for this couple in NSW so maybe they moved away from the area?

Catherine

Catherine Report 28 Aug 2013 14:09

death for daughter:-

Registration Number Last Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District
16512/1936 CLOSE ANNIE EVE HERBERT FLORENCE LOUISA NORTH SYDNEY

so looks as though she never married!

Catherine

Catherine Report 28 Aug 2013 14:17

there is a possible birth for Stanley's wife,although no proof that it is her:-

33124/1963 CLOSE ELIZABETH District:- BALMAIN

........just wondering if Stanley may have died in the war?

Edit:- No corret one, (see info below)

Catherine

Catherine Report 28 Aug 2013 14:34

Death of Florence Louisa:-

8383/1948 CLOSE FLORENCE LOUISA Father's name:- CHARLES Mother's name:- RACHEL District:- CHATSWOOD

Bruce

Bruce Report 28 Aug 2013 19:33

On a different tack to your query, I have researched the Borrill family and would be willing to share if you are reearching the Borrills.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Aug 2013 21:57

Look in 'search all trees' to find connections on here........

............and make sure these people are in your GR tree

EDUIT

One member other than you has Herbert in a GR tree..........send contact message

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 28 Aug 2013 23:34

I think this confirms the births that Catherine found:

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980

Name: Florence Louisa Close
Electoral Year: 1930
State: New South Wales
District: North Sydney
Subdistrict: Chatswood

Address 4 Warrane Road. Also living there are Stanley Borrill Close (traveller) and Annie Eve. (stenographer).

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 28 Aug 2013 23:47

Looks like Stanley stayed in NSW:

Name: Stanley Borrill Close
Electoral Year: 1963
Subdistrict: Willoughby North

A customs agent, living 10 Heights Crescent. At same address are Elizabeth Gwen (home duties) and Margaret Anne (school teacher).

I think NSW BDMs only go up to 1912 so can't guess how old Margaret Anne would be.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 28 Aug 2013 23:50

Stanley and Elizabeth Gwen were still alive and well in 1980 and living at 22 Ascot Avenue, Avoca:

Name: Stanley Borrill Close
Electoral Year: 1980
District: Robertson
Subdistrict: Empire Bay

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 29 Aug 2013 10:01

From NLA Trove

The Sydney Morning Herald, Monday 21 December 1914, p 8
CLOSE.-December 20, 1914, at a private hospital, North Sydney, Herbert Close, late of Lynton, Lang-street, Mosman, aged 50 years.

Burial at Gore HIll Cemetery.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Monday 24 May 1948, p10
CLOSE, Florence Louisa.—May 21, 1948 of Mosman at private hospital, Chatswood dearly beloved mother of Anne (deceased) and Stanley. Privately cremated.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Monday 14 September 1936, p8
CLOSE.-September 12. 1936, at private hospital. North Sydney, Annie Eve (Anne), the only daughter of the late Herbert and Mrs. Florence Close, of Willoughby. Privately cremated September 12, 1936. Loving sister of Stan and niece of Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Mather and A. E. Close.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 29 Aug 2013 10:21

I think the AE Close must be an unmarried sister, who was also in NSW. Her death:
30873/1943 CLOSE ANNIE EVE / JOHN / EVE ELIZABETH / RYDE

Friday 3 December 1943, p8
CLOSE -December 2, 1943, at Ryde, Annie Eve, beloved aunt of Stanley.

TB Mather looks most likely to be Thomas Brewer MATHER who died in 1937 in Chatswood, but I can't find who he was married to...

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 29 Aug 2013 10:25

Looks like Stan (d. 1990) also had a son - tree here with descendants:
http://www.palamountain.net/getperson.php?personID=I1921&tree=pal1

Gai

Gai Report 29 Aug 2013 12:00

Sydney Morning Herald July 14, 1990.

Close, Stanley Borrill - July 10, 1990 at hospital, lave of Avalon, formerly
of Avoca Beach (founder in 1932 of S.B. Close and Co. Customs Agents)
beloved husband of Gwen, father of Margaret and John. Father in law of Michael and Susan, loving pa to Leonie, Martin, Belinda and Jane.
In his 83 year
He Lived respected and died regretted.
So more it be
Privately cremated.

Catherine

Catherine Report 29 Aug 2013 12:57

Glad to see that some more recent information has been found for Hilary.
As she is a new member and has not come back to her thread I have sent her a message to let her know how to come back to her thread.
Catherine

Hilary

Hilary Report 31 Aug 2013 18:55

Hi everyone!

It's the first time I've used the community boards, and I'm gobsmacked at the results. So much information to take on board. I'm so grateful to Catherine, Marie Celeste and Cherilyn for their efforts on my behalf. Thank you, thank you.

It's really good to know that there are probably some people alive now in Australia who bear testament to the rehabilitation of Herbert (he was some sort of cousin to me, but I'm not very good at working them out!). He left England under a cloud but had the good wishes and respect of many he left behind, so I hope he was able to bury all his ghosts and live happily.

It's interesting to learn that Herbert's sister Annie Eve moved out to be with him. She seems to have travelled in 1910. There are several Thomas Brewer Mathers listed in the English BMD indexes - they must surely be from the same family. There is one listed in Bulmer's Gazetteer of 1892, a contractor with business premises not a stone's throw away from Herbert's father's bakery, but according to the 1891 census he was born in 1845. Much more to the point is the marriage of Thomas B. Mather to Mary E. Want in Leeds in 1930. I need more time and work to understand the timings!

Best wishes and sincere thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and happy researching!

Hilary

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Aug 2013 19:09

I'm pretty sure the middle name on this ER should be Brewer:

Name: Thomas Blewco Mather
Electoral Year: 1936
Subdistrict: Chatswood

No occupation, living 15 Zara Road with Mary Elizabeth (home duties).

ADDED: At same address 1933, same circumstances (Middle name then shown as Bleweo).

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Aug 2013 19:16

The reg for the death Cherilyn referred to gives parents first names:

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
Name: Thomas Brewer Mather
Death Date: 1937
Death Place: New South Wales
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Margaret
Registration Year: 1937
Registration Place: Chatswood, New South Wales
Registration number: 1218

ADDED:

Probate Jurisdiction -In the Will of THOMAS BREWER MATHER late of Zara Street, Willoughby In the State of New South Wales, Civil Engineer deceased - Application will be made after fourteen davs from the publication hereof that Probate of the last Will and Testament dated the eleventh day of September one thousand nine hundred and thirty one of the above named deceased may be granted to MARY ELIZABETH MATHER the Executix named in the said Will and all notices may be served at the undermentioned address. All creditors in the Estate of the deceased are hereby required to send in particulars of their claims to the undersigned
DAWSON WALDRON EDWARDS and NICHOLLS
Proctors for the Executrix 100 Pilt Street Sydney

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17303937?searchTerm=%22thomas%20brewer%20mather%22&searchLimits=l-decade=193