Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which board?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Jun 2013 11:41

I received help in locating some ancestors on the "genealogy chat" board,but I have been struggling for weeks now,and still have people lost in 1901 census.
Looking through some of the postings onGR,I am wondering if I SHOULD have asked for help & lookups,on the chat thread....how do I find which thread to ask on?
I have come to the conclusion that I SHOULDN'T have asked on G Chat....so how do I put the information I got on there to here?
I hope I'm in right place now! There are so many category's,it gets a bit confusing...it does to me,anyway!

Rachael

Rachael Report 1 Jun 2013 11:44

HI Elaine, I agree,

There used to a "Looking for board" where if you wanted to find living or ancestors you asked on there & it seemed so much simpler. I would copy what you have learnt & post it in here, but put the surname in the subject line.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jun 2013 11:56

Hi Elaine, yes this is the 'right' board for searches for specific people ( Genealogy chat is really intended for queries on 'how' rather than 'who' perhaps and general genealogy tips etc).

As Rachael has suggested you can copy the info here and delete from genealogy, or you could start a thread here with the name in title and the link to the other thread in the first post so people can see what has been found thus far and go from there.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Jun 2013 11:57

Hi Elaine,

If you are looking for ancestors, then the best place is definitely this board! :-)

The Genealogy Chat board, tends to be for queries about where to find burials, baptisms etc., and what's new online - sort of general genealogy queries etc.

The Find Living Relatives board - is for just that......!

The ordinary Chat board is generally for any topic under the sun.

Most of those who help, do tend to look at most of the boards though, so you will always get help.

If you move your original post onto the Find Ancestors board, please keep all of the information which you already have. It will save people looking up the same information all over again.

Hope this helps. Cx :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Jun 2013 11:57

"Snap" Rose... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 1 Jun 2013 12:01

Ask here we will help you !!! :-\ :-D if we can!!

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Jun 2013 12:01

Thankyou,Rachael.....so,if I copy and paste to here,do I just leave the thread on chat,to work its way out?
I have got in bother in the past...people have told me not to post another thread about same family,because I am wasting researchers time,as they are looking for things already found!
The Looking For board,told you JUST what to put on there....someone you were looking for!
Changes are harder to grasp,the older you get.
Elaine.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 1 Jun 2013 12:05

Just copy and paste it and then at the top next to your name theres a delete button just press

BUT BUT BUT if theres info there leave it for your reference and just let peeps moan

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Jun 2013 12:10

Thankyou everyone....yous must think I'm SO stupid!
Think I'm going to copy the other link,(if I can work out how to copy the lot,)and repost on here.
If I can't manage,I will wait till my daughter comes and she will sort me!
Thnx once again.
Elaine

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 1 Jun 2013 12:27

We don't think you are stupid at all Elaine.

It would have been in your best interest if someone on the chat board had directed you over to here.

But hey........no worries!!

:-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jun 2013 12:30

Elaine, it's basically the same people help on all boards so I would save yourself the effort of copying everything over - that ends up very messy. (All personal opinion, though).

Why not go to the thread in question that's on Genealogy Chat, add a post to it so it nudges to the front of that board and then put a link on here (I'll add it if you want). That will direct people to it just in case anyone on here hadn't seen it.

Forward going, over on the left is a link under Tools called "Help Clinic" - that tells you what each board is for (Cynthia has given a synopsis above).

Dea

Dea Report 1 Jun 2013 12:32

It might be a good idea, if you are leaving the original thread on chat for reference, to add a post at the bottom to thank those who have already contributed and to say that you have transferred the thread to this board and put a link to your new thread on here.

You can then request that any further info should be posted on the new thread and nothing further added to the old one.

That way you will not have 2 threads continuing on the same person.

Dea x

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Jun 2013 12:39

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1323898

I rang my dau.....before i delete other post on G Chat,have i done this right?
(I copied and pasted what was in search bar when posting was up)
Elaine.x

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Jun 2013 12:42

It Does! I clicked on it myself...yeah!
Going to delete other now.(I hope this doesnt remove all the info on it!...fingers xx)
thnx everyone,your help is much appreciated. :-D

now someone may be able to find my people "lost" in the 1901 Census!
Elaine.xx

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jun 2013 12:44

Elaine - that thread is already on Find Ancestors?

Please don't delete it. Just add a post to nudge it to the front of the boards.

If you delete it the link won't work.

EDIT:
I've nudged it up so it's on the front page.

Please don't delete it.

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Jun 2013 12:54

thank you MC...Won't Delete!..How do I know WHICH board I have posted things on?
If I click on "my threads".,then "my threads started",I couldnt see the name of any board.
I am getting so frustrated with myself now.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 1 Jun 2013 12:58

You really are not stupid .........I will take a look aswel ....

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jun 2013 13:10

Elaine, when you're on any thread look at the top right of the page. Under the purple Genes Reunited logo it gives the name of the board.

Also, look at the link you posted above - it has boards/board/ancestors <<

The My Threads link does miss out which board the thread is on so you actually have to open the thread and then look at the top of it.

:-)

ADDED:
I have to say you seem to be using the boards quite correctly, I've seen your threads on Genealogy Chat where you've asked for general advice and then your thread on here researching the family. So you're doing things spot on - so don't beat yourself up!! :-D :-D

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Jun 2013 00:59

Thnks to you all...think I was having a "senior moment"!
I got all flustered and didn't know if I was coming or going!
It's passed now! Lol
Elaine.x :-S

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 2 Jun 2013 08:19

Elaine - don't get stressed out - it is not worth it.
You are doing OK - just keep posting.
It is not the end of the world if you post on the wrong board. Somebody will still help you.
You just have to laugh (lol) at times at some of the comment made on these boards
;-)