Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Irish Ancestors... Help needed.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

claire

claire Report 11 Mar 2013 16:36

I need help trying to find Birth and/or death records for my grand parents. They were in Ireland and I've just realised this website doesn't hold those records.

James Newman 01/11/1905 Clara, County Offlay (?sp)
Bridget Doyle 23rd or 24th/07/1916 - Clonroche, Enniscorthy.

How do I go about doing this as I'm a newbie.

Many thanks Claire

Joy

Joy Report 11 Mar 2013 16:54

This

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/951721

will help you, on the genealogy chat board.

Happy hunting.

Gee

Gee Report 11 Mar 2013 17:02

This looks like his birth

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
about James Joseph Newman
Name: James Joseph Newman
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1905
Registration district: Tullamore
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 3
Page: 460
FHL Film Number: 101070

Gee

Gee Report 11 Mar 2013 17:05

Looks like they married in England

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
about James J Newman
Name: James J Newman
Spouse Surname: Bridget Doyle
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1937
Registration district: Willesden
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 3a
Page Number: 953

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2013 17:13

Claire...I am not seeing any Newmans in Clara (1901/1911)...the nearest is the following family....Living Kilmalady Big

Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Newman James 40 Male Head of Family Catholic Co Meath Railway Servant Read and write - Married - - - -
Newman Emily 30 Female Wife Catholic Co Cavan - Read and write - Married - 8 5 4
Newman Katheen 7 Female Daughter Catholic Co Meath - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Newman Fanny 4 Female Daughter Catholic Kings Co - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Newman Mary 2 Female Daughter Catholic Kings Co - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Newman James 6 Male Son Catholic Kings Co -

Gee

Gee Report 11 Mar 2013 17:16

I was wondering about this one?

1911 Census Residents of a house 2 in Lismacmurrogh (Kilcommock, Longford)

Newman Patrick 57 Male Head of Family R Catholic Co Longford Farmer Read and write - Married - 12 7 6
Newman Elizabeth 42 Female Wife R Catholic Co Longford - Read and write - Married - 12 7 6
Newman Francis 8 Male Son R Catholic Co Longford Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Newman James Joseph 7 Male Son R Catholic Co Longford Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Newman Patrick St Ml 6 Male Son R Catholic Co Longford Scholar Read - Single - - - -
Newman John 5 Male Son R Catholic Co Longford - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Newman Mary Kate 3 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Longford - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Newman Eliza 1 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Longford - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Dalton Micheal 57 Male - R Catholic

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2013 17:30

Gins....Anything is a possibility but wonder where Claire came up with Clara Co Offaly (Kings) as its not somewhere you would pick out of a hat...!!

claire

claire Report 11 Mar 2013 18:21

Thanx so much guys but i think Gins has got it as i know that they married in London and lived in Willesden for many years. My mother is still living that's where i sauced the info from.
Also i don't think the census you posted for me is correct as the names i have don't match
Tomas, Peter, Frank, JAMES, Kathleen, Eugenie are the names i have but mum seems to think there may have been 10 children arrrgh

Thanx again you've been great

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2013 18:26

Claire...Grand to hear Gins is on the right track...
Where did "Clara" info.come from....? As I said its not somewhere you would know about unless you knew about it...

Gee

Gee Report 11 Mar 2013 19:00

Are these possible births?

Name: Peter Newman
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1915
Page: 513
FHL Film Number: 101076

Name: Francis Newman
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1907
Page: 475
FHL Film Number: 101071

Name: Thomas Newman
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1911
Page: 467
FHL Film Number: 101074

Name: Eugene Newman
Mother's Surname: Newman
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1929
Page: 407
FHL Film Number: 101231

There are other births with that name and area, not sure if you have more details?

Maura

Maura Report 11 Mar 2013 19:09

The census that Erin posted are more than likely your family and not the ones in Co. longford. The births that Gins found are for Tullamore which is in Co. Offaly. There a marriage for a James Newman to a Emily Henderson Jan-Feb-Mar 1904 Trim which is in Co. Meath

Gee

Gee Report 11 Mar 2013 19:17

You can search the Irish 1901/1911 census for free here

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Maura

Maura Report 11 Mar 2013 19:17

Census Years1901CavanCorrDrumcanResidents of a house
Residents of a house 4 in Drumcan (Corr, Cavan)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Henderson William 49 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Cavan Farmers Both read and write - Married -
Henderson Isabella 47 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Cavan Farmers Read and write - Married -
Henderson Linnie 35 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Cavan Dressmaker Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson William 23 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Cavan R. 2. Constable Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson Emily 20 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Cavan Dressmaker Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson Annie May 18 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Cavan Dressmaker Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson Olivia 12 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Cavan Scholars Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson Mabel 9 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Cavan Scholars Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson Alfred 6 Male Son Church of Ireland

Maura

Maura Report 11 Mar 2013 19:20

Census Years1901MeathDunboyneQuarrylandResidents of a house
Residents of a house 5 in Quarryland (Dunboyne, Meath)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Newman James 62 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Westmeath Railway Milesman Read and write English Married -
Newman Kate 54 Female Wife Roman Catholic Westmeath - Read and write English Married -
Newman Fanny 35 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Westmeath House Keeper Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Patrick 30 Male Son Roman Catholic Westmeath Farm Servant Read and write English Not Married -
Newman James 27 Male Son Roman Catholic Meath Railway Milesman Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Michael 24 Male Son Roman Catholic Meath Farm Servant Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Francis 22 Male Son Roman Catholic Meath Railway Milesman Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Peter 19 Male Son Roman Catholic Meath Farm Servant Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Joseph 16 Male Son Roman Catholic Meath Farm Servant Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Margaret 13 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Meath Scholar Read and write English Not Married -
Newman Ellen 11 Female Daughter Roman Catholic

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2013 20:21

Evening Maura...Thanks for the marriage I just couldnt find it at all ....The above Census also looked good to me when I checked out Jamesjnrs place of birth and occup... and he doesnt appear with James and Kate 1911...maybe its that generation who had the ? 10 children James and Kate had 12...
"Clara" would also be probable place of Birth/Baptism (St Bridget's Clara) for James jnr. and its just down the Road as the crow flies. Clara Parish (Diocese of Meath) covers the area in question

The place where they are stated to be living 1911 was occupied 1901 by another railway man so it may have been a Railway Cottage...there were only six families living in the area and other than the Newmans all were farmers.
The Railway was operated by the Midland Great Western

claire

claire Report 14 Mar 2013 11:51

Very big thank you for all your findings.

I'm finding hard to match Maura's 'family' post. the names are very close but the ages do not match. I thought it could be my grandads brothers and sisters but the oldest was only born in 1901 and his name was James Joseph Newman.

claire

claire Report 14 Mar 2013 11:57

p.s. is there anywhere online we can search for birth records in ireland? or baptism records? many thanks

Potty

Potty Report 14 Mar 2013 12:20

Claire, this (free) site has Irish BMDs and also some Irish baptisms:

https://familysearch.org/

Ancestry also has them but it is a subscription site - does have a free trial facility. If you use that, make sure you unsubscribe before the end of the free trial period or you will be charged.

Also, try googling the area to see what is online on other sites.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Mar 2013 12:22

Claire.....

This thread may help you......

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1321140

Claire you need to bear in mind that people tend to "Forget" things with the passage of time and accuracy as to ages family names etc can be blurred...
What originally led you to Clara...????

Gins supplied you with a Birth to correspond with a James Joseph (1905)
He appears on the Census in 1911 which I have supplied.....

Potty

Potty Report 14 Mar 2013 12:30

Claire, I would suggest that you get James and Bridget's marriage cert which should give his father's name and occupation to help confirm any census and birth findings.

You can order the marriage cert online from the GRO:

gro.gov.uk/

With the full reference, which you have been given above, it will cost £9.25