Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Frederick Mitchell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 19 Jun 2024 15:42

Trying to find out about my late father-in law. Born in Northumberland on 25 June 1906 was according to the 1939 Register a bus conductor in Ashington. Between 1940-and 1946 I believe by family rumour he was called up and serviced in the royal signal perhaps in Africa (Nigeria ?). In around 1946 he was a telephonist in London where he met and married a Charlotte Lillian Lane.
It is the war time details I am trying to find (service no etc) so I can apply for his army records.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jun 2024 17:26

WW2 records are not online.

Lots of threads on here giving details of how to apply for post-1920 records

Look at those posted by Samuel further down this page

Jink20

Jink20 Report 19 Jun 2024 19:51

If you are not already, may I suggest you register with The National Archives. Once you are signed into their site you may be able download records which would appear on other websites that you may not have a subscription to.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/

The WO designation refers to War Office records

WO 417 1939-1947 War Office: Army Casualty Lists, 1939-45 War

WO 392 Directorate of Prisoners of War: Prisoners of War Lists, Second World War

These are two examples of records available to research

The current waiting time for a WW2 service record is 6+ months. That's how long I have been waiting since I submitted my application. You will need to submit a copy of a Death Certificate with your application

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service