Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Somerset Light Infantry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 Jun 2016 15:45

Hi, does anyone have any relatives who served in the Somerset Light Infantry during the years of WW2 and served in Gibralter, also in India in the years previous.
My Dad Robert Jean Murphy (Paddy) was in the regiment from a young man until he came out in about 1946, but Im trying to find out about him in his service years. Now that the Regiment is disbanded, it is hard to find information.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Jun 2016 19:35

You can order your father's service record from the MOD which will cost you £30.

Look here to find out how to go about ordering the records:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Kath. x

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 2 Jun 2016 13:44

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your reply. I have already put in a request, and it seemed that because I was 3rd party and had not got permission from my Mother, now deceased, who was obviously NOK, I would not be able to find any information.

I also had a problem with gaining much information from the Records Office in Taunton where the regiment was based, as although they gave me a record book to view, it only gave the bare facts of enlistment/demob. In the end, one of the archivists produced a Hard back factual book which gave me more facts about the campaigns the regiment took part in.

I would just like to know who his friends may have been, I know he was in a football team etc, so it is quite frustrating. I think I may put in a request again.

Many thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jun 2016 14:19

I would definitely apply for the records again as there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get them. They won't of course help you with friends etc. but they are usually quite detailed as far as dates and places go.

Have you tried ForcesReunited?

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Jun 2016 16:11

If your father died at least 25 years ago, then you are entitled to purchase a copy of his full records.