Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Daniel Smith Royal Artillery (Victorian military)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 29 Feb 2016 14:10

I am looking for any information about my great grandfather, Daniel Smith who joined the Royal Artillery about 1880, the information that I have already found is shown below (sorry it is quite long!)

Daniel Smith born in Liverpool 7 September 1857, parents Ellen and Peter Smith.
Baptised 28 October, St Anthony's RC Church, Liverpool.

1861 census, Daniel living with parents and siblings at 10 Stewarts Buildings, Dryden St, Liverpool.

1871 Census, Daniel living with mother "Helen" Smith and family at Rachel St, 9ct 2 House.
His father Peter was killed in a works accident 15 January 1866

1881 Census, Daniel had joined the army (Royal Artillery) name shown as
"Dan'l Smith" occupation "Gunner Roy Arty" stationed at "North Camp" Farnborough, Hants.

1882 Stationed in Kilkenny, Ireland serving as a gunner with "1st RA."

1882 6th October, Daniel married Mary Neagle (or Nagle) Bride's father James Neagle (or Nagle) occupation, Labourer.

1882 4th December Mary gave birth to James Smith (my grandfather) address shown as "Patrick St, Kilkenny" fathers occupation, "Soldier"
24 December 1882 James baptised. (surname shown as "Smyth" not Smith)

After the above dates I can find no information about Daniel or Mary. I have information about James Smith who also went on to join the military and serve in the merchant navy.

In 1903 James joined the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and stated on his enlistment papers his next of kin as "Daniel Smith (father) serving with "E" battery 6th Royal Horse Artillery (RHA)"

In 1917, 16 June, James married Rose Violet Turnage and stated on the marriage certificate that his father Daniel was deceased but also that his occupation had been "Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) 6th RHA"

6 RHA
The information that I have found suggests that 6th RHA was formed in March 1901 as the 6th Brigade RHA consisting of "B" battery in Lucknow, India and "C" battery in Mhow, India.
6 RHA returned to Ipswich in 1902 then moved on to Woolwich also in 1902.
In October 1906 6 RHA was re-titled 2nd Brigade RHA

After 1882 I have been unable to find any records/information about Daniel or his wife Mary. I do not know where they were posted to, if they had any more children, when or where either Daniel or Mary died.
I have searched 1901 and 1911 England census records but have not been able to identify records for Daniel or Mary.

Can anyone please help.......................

Terry Smith

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Mar 2016 09:20

Have you tried the 1901!and 1911 Irish census

It's possible though he was overseas at the time of each census

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Mar 2016 09:28

Have you got Daniels army record ?

I have my grandfathers who was in both Boar Wars . And his brothers who joined up about the same time

I got them from Kew but they are now on the Kew website to view

Terence

Terence Report 2 Mar 2016 14:13

Hi Shirley,
Thanks for your response, it is driving me mad trying to find anything about Daniel Smith after 1882. I have searched the Irish census returns for 1901 and 1911 looking for Daniel, Mary or their son James and the only possible record I have found is for a James Smyth aged 19 who was born in Kilkenny, he was an "apprentice" at "a house 65.2 in Georges Street South (Royal Exchange, Dublin)"
I have "tinkered" in the past with National Archive military records but I have never had any success finding anything (maybe I am doing something wrong??)

The reference from his son James in 1903 to Daniel serving with "E" battery 6 RHA means that he had been in the army for over 20 years by then so he could have been all over the world, however, I have found nothing in Boer War records about him or 6 RHA, even the regiment is a mystery?.

Potty

Potty Report 3 Mar 2016 12:56

This site gives some info about the 6th Regiment Royal Horse Artillery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Regiment,_Royal_Horse_Artillery

Terence

Terence Report 3 Mar 2016 13:47

Potty,
thanks for the link, it adds a bit more to what I know of 6 RHA. It does seem to contradict the info I have about "E" battery being part of 6 RHA in 1903 though?

Terence

Terence Report 6 Mar 2016 12:44

I have found a possible record for Daniel Smith from 1880 on Forces war Records site which gives his Service number as 5944 is there anyone who check/verify this service number?