Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Military College Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 22 Jan 2016 10:44

Can anyone with military knowledge help me, please?

William Thom was born in Slain(e)s, Aberdeenshire in 1779 (military records)or possibly 1777 (parish records). The following details are taken from his Discharge Certificate from the Royal Military College.

"Transferred from the Aberdeen Militia to the Royal Military College on the 25th December 1813. Attested for the Royal Military College at Hawley in the County of Hants on the 3rd March 1817 at the age of thirty-eight years.
1st Service. After the age of 18 years which he is entitled to reckon up to the 31st December 1843, is Thirty Years and Seven Days, the Statement of which is as follows:
Regiment: Royal Military College > Transferred From 25th December 1813 To 31st December 1843 - 30 Years 7 Days"

Now, I understand that he joined the RM College 25.12.1813 and left 31.12.1843 but does the gap between 1813 and being "attested" 3rd March 1817 indicate service at a rank lower than Serjeant Major?

Also, although I understand that the (then) Royal Military College was on the move in the early 19th Century, I cannot find any reference elsewhere to it being located at "Hawley, Hants". Can anybody explain this?

All advice will be gratefully received and acknowledged.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jan 2016 14:24

Although I can't help with most of your query, I think the reference that he "attested for the Royal Military College at Hawley in the County of Hants" doesn't mean that the Royal Military College was at Hawley. It means instead that he attested at Hawley (signed up).

My son attested at Middlesbrough and went on to Chepstow, so I think that is what is meant.

Kath. x

Barry

Barry Report 22 Jan 2016 15:24

Kath,
Thank you for your reply which suggests a solution that I had not considered before. That leaves me to consider the gap from when he left the militia and transferred to the RMC in 1813 and the attestation to the RMC in 1817. I have a feeling that the language of the age/military is defeating me here.
Regards,
Barry

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Jan 2016 10:37

You are attested when you take the oath to serve the King/Queen. You are only attested once so changing rank doesn't mean you have to be attested again. I changed rank 3 times, OH 5 times. We were both attested once at the beginning of service. Date of start of service is the date of attestation.

OH was attested at the age of 16 so age doesn't come into it.

There was not a change of king in 1817 but the oath covers that eventuality. Note wording of today's oath

I, [soldier's name], swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.

God can be altered according to religion/ non religion

My thoughts
1 He reenlisted, maybe very quickly so there wasn't a big gap.
2 He was asked to be attested again to swear allegiance to the new section of the army which I doubt.
3 When did being attested start? It may have started during his service and all those serving had to be attested. Remember at 1 time they referred to the taking of the King's/Queen's shilling. All you had to do to join was accept the money. This changed to attestation but I don't know when, can't find out at the moment.
4 Were they attested in the Militia? If not did he slip through without it and was it a technicality that was sorted out in 1817?

Sorry I don't have anything definite but you may be able to find out from what I've written.

Hope this helps
:-)

Barry

Barry Report 23 Jan 2016 11:37

Again, more food for thought. I doubt if there was a gap in service as this would have been included in the calculation of service (?). Your Pt. 3 is interesting and I will look further into that.
This may be one of those times that you just have to accept "I don't know" is the only answer and move on.
Thank you for taking the time to answer and providing pointers.
Barry

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 23 Jan 2016 19:26

Barry ...Have you checked out this link....May be of some help.

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/LocalHistory/archives/loc_cataloguesmilitia.aspe

Barry

Barry Report 23 Jan 2016 22:50

Thanks for your suggestion and I have followed it up but without success. I suppose it's Sods Law that the Aberdeen9shire) Militia is the only one that is not6 digitised and available on line. The search continues.