Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St Columb Volunteer Rifle Brigade 1860

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 7 Jan 2016 17:54

Seeking information on St Columb Volunteer Rifle Brigade which I believe was formed 02/04/1860 as the 16th Corps in St Columb Major Cornwall. I have recently found a Victorian Long Service Medal for the Volunteer Rifle Brigade in my late Grandmothers belongings and know very little about it. I am related to the Jenkin, Osborne, Salmon, Tonkyn and Nicholls families from St Columb area of Cornwall.
Any information or advice on reading sources would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Simon

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jan 2016 22:58

Welcome to the Boards, Simon

You've obviously already done some research. Have you considered contacting the Imperial War Museum who may have further information about the Brigade?
http://www.iwm.org.uk/connect/contact-us

Volunteer Long Service Medal
Volunteer Long Service Medal (1895-1930, British Issues)
Awards were granted to non-commissioned officers and men between 1895 and 1930, for a minimum of 20 years’ service........
.....Three medal issue types exist, namely Queen Victoria (issued unnamed, but also found named), Edward VII (named) and George V (named)......
.....It is of note that some Queen Victoria medals were issued up to the Army Order of July, 1902,
http://www.militaryarchive.co.uk/the-rolls/volunteer-long-service-medal.html

The info on the site will at least enable you to narrow your relation search. There is also a link to a searchable data base for the recipients names.

Once you've identified a possible name, post the data on here so that GR members can suggest other free sources before you pay-to-view.

Simon

Simon Report 8 Jan 2016 16:37

Thank you for the warm greeting DetEcTive

I am grateful for the advice and links you've mentioned.

The only research that I have completed was to establish the identity of the medal, so the added links you've provided are excellent. The real work starts now to identify which ancestor received it.

I will post any data I find on the Forum as you suggest.

Kind regards
Simon

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2016 09:57

May be another member can come up with more suggestions. If we have subs to other sites, we're always willing to have a look for those who don't. :-)

Simon

Simon Report 9 Jan 2016 17:36

After searching www.militaryarchive.co.uk I found a Corporal S. Osborne Service Number 650 of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (12607) who received the Victoria Regina VLSM but it does not give any further details.
My Osborne family lived in St Columb Major (7 Fore Street) and if Corporal S. Osborne was from that town then he would be my great-grandfather Sidney Osborne b1858 and d1939.
Kind regards Simon

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2016 10:45

Really sorry - despite searching several other sites, I can't find anything.

Hopefully someone else can manipulate the data bases and find something relevant.

Simon

Simon Report 12 Jan 2016 18:17

Thank you for taking the time to assist me DetEcTive. I will make enquiries at The National Archives to see if any records exist of the St Columb Major Unit of the Volunteer Rifle Brigade.
Kind regards
Simon

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 20 Jan 2016 22:12

was your grandmother a osbourne or a jenkin