Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 John Thomas Johnson - Royal Defence Corps

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redwroc

Redwroc Report 11 Dec 2015 22:05

I am trying to discover more above the service history of John Thomas Johnson and where he died.

I have very little information from some old family records which show:

He was born In 1878 (his birth was registered in June 1878 in P'boro 3b/235)

He was married to Louisa Jane Matilda COX in 1904 (marriage registered in Dec 1904 in P'boro 3b/503).

Family records suggest he died in 1917 but do not indicate where and how he died. I understand that he was a member of the Royal Defence Corps which comprised people unfit for active military service but who undertook various duties in the UK such as guarding prisoners, key installations etc.

I have been unable to find any record of any active military although it's possible that he may have been invalidated out prior to joining the Royal Defence Corps. I also have found no record of his service in the Royal Defence Corps.

Has anyone done any research on the Royal Defence Corps and able to suggest where I might direct my research.

Thanks

John

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Dec 2015 00:19

This is the only person of that name from the Royal Defence Corps that is mentioned on the Commonwealth War Graves site but this one was married to a Martha and age would be wrong:-

JOHNSON, J T

Service No:17754
Date of Death:28/01/1917
Regiment/Service:Royal Defence Corps 308th Coy
Grave Reference: 16.
Cemetery:HAIGH (ST. DAVID) CHURCHYARD

Additional Information:Son of Mrs. Mary Ellen Johnson; husband of Martha Johnson.

Kath. x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Dec 2015 08:08

Not seeing name on below for Farcet/Yaxley born John Thomas on Census (Parents, John and Hannah)

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Huntingdonshire/Farcet.html

(that one with below couple address 1911, looks to be Single)

Clay Pitt Terrace Farcett Peterborough, Farcet, Northamptonshire

Marriages Mar 1903 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------
Croft Russell Peterbro' 3b 287
Johnson Hannah Peterbro' 3b 287

Are you sure of Birth Year, quite a few, who was his Father?...

Chris :)

edits (below can be useful Northants./Hunts.)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

Baptism
County Huntingdonshire
Place Farcet
Church name St Mary
Register type Unspecified
Baptism date 11 Sep 1859
Person forename Clarissa
Person abode Farcet
Father forename John
Father surname JOHNSON
Father occupation Laborer
Mother forename Hannah

Baptism
County Huntingdonshire
Place Farcet
Church name St Mary
Baptism date 09 Mar 1873
Person forename Hannah
Person abode Farcet
Father forename John
Father surname JOHNSON
Father occupation Coal Dealer
Mother forename Hannah

(was above his sisters, looking at 1881. Church Street, Farcett (Hunts), Peterborough, Northamptonshire )

Marriages Dec 1886
---------------------------------------------------
COX Arthur William F Peterbro' 3b 490
Postems for this entry:

05/03/2015 Married Clarissa Johnson on Nov 7 1886 at St Mark's, Peterborough

(and Louisa Jane M, sister of Arthur W. As 1891 Asylum Road, Arlesey, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire )

edits

County Huntingdonshire
Place Farcet
Church name St Mary
Register entry number 118
Marriage date 27 Dec 1858
Groom forename John
Groom surname JOHNSON
Groom age 27
Groom condition Bachelor
Groom abode Farcet
Groom occupation Huckster
Bride forename Hannah
Bride surname NIGHTINGALE
Bride age 21
Bride condition Spinster
Bride abode Farcet
Groom father forename Samuel
Groom father surname JOHNSON
Groom father occupation Laborer
Bride father forename Joseph
Bride father surname NIGHTINGALE
Bride father occupation Laborer
Witness1 forename John
Witness1 surname BANNISTER
Witness2 forename Mary
Witness2 surname JOHNSON
Notes Mark of Bride and Groom

Redwroc

Redwroc Report 14 Dec 2015 20:56

Kath

Many thanks for your response.

I think you are correct to suggest that this J T Johnson is not the person I am researching. Being buried in the Manchester area suggests that he was probably from that aea and not Farcet.

Regards

John

Redwroc

Redwroc Report 14 Dec 2015 22:39

Chris

Many thanks for your response.

The people you list are certainly members of my family.

Clarissa JOHNSON was born in and baptised in Farcet in 1859. Her father was John JOHNSON who married her mother Hannah (nee NIGHTINGALE) in Q4 1858. Clarissa married Arthur William Franklin COX in 1886 and were the parents of my paternal Grandmother. The Postem in FreeBMD relating to the marriage is of my making.

Louisa Jane Matilda COX was the sister of Arthur William Franklin COX, She was born in Islington and Arthur was born in Ely. Their father was William COX who was born in St. Kitts, WI and their mother was Mary SANGSTER born in Ilford, Essex. Arthur worked for the Railway Co. and was working in Biggleswade as a signalman in 1891.

I have no family records which include the Hannah JOHNSON born in 1873 so more research is required. I would guess that Clarissa and Hannah could possibly be cousins.

The reference to the Farcet Roll of Honour includes up a couple of entries that seem to tie in with the information given in the 1911 census which includes the entry for John Thomas JOHNSON.

In the 1911 census a Russell CROFT, aged 39, is given as head of the household along with his wife Hannah, aged 38, and presumably the sister of John Thomas JOHNSON, then aged 33 confirming that he was born in 1878.

In the 1911 census John Thomas JOHNSON is shown as having being married for 5 years but no mention of his wife and there were no children. In the GRO index I found a record of a marrriage between John Thomas JOHNSON and Louisa Jane M COX in 1904 which suggests that John and Louisa could have been married for more that 5 years. There is no record of the death of a Louisa J M JOHNSON of the right age so more research is needed to determine what happened to the marriage.

In the Roll of Honour there is mention of a Jack Lamaon JOHNSON, aged 19 born in Farcet and who died in 1915. This states that Jack was the brother of a brother of Mr. R. J. CROFT of Farcet and this person could well be the Russell James CROFT who was listed in the 1911 census as the son of Russell and Hannah CROFT and therefore related to John Thomas JOHNSON. There is no GRO index entry for the birth of a Jack Lamaon JOHNSON although there is a entry for a Jack Lawman JOHNSON born in 1896. So I would guess the middle name in the Roll of Honour is probably a transcription error.

Regards

John

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Dec 2015 07:38

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#soldiers

(just to add, looking on above, then below for image)

UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 (Ancestry)

(Hannah Croft named) (and for Russell, Hannah also, wid.)

Chris :)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34545/page/5538/data.pdf

(the son Russell above?, from google search)

Deaths Sep 1924 (>99%)
------------------------------------------------
Croft Hannah 51 Peterbro' 3b 165

(unfortunately, Hunts., one County not coming up on Newspapers online)

edits (perhaps get that 1904 Cert., to see more details)

Births Jun 1878 (>99%)
----------------------------------------------------------
Johnson John Thomas Peterbro' 3b 235

(who is Father on above?)

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Dec 2015 03:23

There's a couple of possible medal cards, although it's unclear to me what medals they got, if any:

Name: John T Johnson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Defence Corps
Regimental Number: 33209
http://tinyurl.com/jz5a656

Name: John Thomas Johnson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Defence Corps
Regimental Number: 17754
http://tinyurl.com/pqp92zs

The links I've posted are free at this moment, and have a link to the medal card image (also free right now).
The first gives JTJ's service as 16/10/14 thru 11/9/18, and says he was discharged Sick under P 392 XVI 2(d)
I think this refers to paragraph 392 clause 2(d) of the King's Regulations for the Army - don't know abt the XVI bit.

Redwroc

Redwroc Report 27 Dec 2015 22:23

Many thanks for the information relating to possible medal cards.

Unfortunately there is insufficient information in my family records to enable me to relate either of these two people to my family.

John