Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bengal Artillery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 Nov 2015 11:41

Have discovered that an ancestor's occupation on his marriage in 1847 is "Corporal Bengal Artillery " with letters ?E / F or T Co's following - can anyone advise on where I could look to find out more about his service ?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Nov 2015 13:37

Hello Elizabeth, if you care to give his name and when/where born we can take a look to see what records are available.

Where did he marry and who to?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 Nov 2015 15:06

Thank you MarieCeleste

Have googled and not too sure what I am looking for !!

He married 20 December 1847 at St Margarets Westminster
Richard Kimbrey & Mary Pattison {image is on fmp but I have a problem with scanning !!}

He was born 1799 at Drayton Berkshire and appears on the Westminster rate lists from 1856 where he ran a Lodging house until he died in 1866

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Nov 2015 15:58

Have just had a look at the marriage image on FMP and it looks like Corporal, Hon E.F.C.'s

Wonder if it's European Foot Company?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 Nov 2015 16:09

That looks very possible as when I looked on google the listings seemed to be seperate for the European and Indian personel

I wonder if there are any records on-line?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 Nov 2015 23:30

Probably Honourable East India Company. Records, if they have survived, should be at the British Library

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 26 Nov 2015 11:15

Thank you annielaurie I will have a look :-)