Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Great Uncle Willie Marples!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

NuttyBoy

NuttyBoy Report 11 Nov 2015 20:41

Hello fellow researcher's I was wondering if some1 out there could help me out about my Great Uncle's military record. on his record it says remarks & then gives this as an answer, I.C. 17318/1916. Does anybody know what this means please.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Nov 2015 08:32

(for reference, is that him on below?)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_topics/thread/1173034?d=asc

Chris :)

NuttyBoy Report 25 Aug 2009 14:26

Hello I would like to ask members if anybody has any information about my Great-Uncle Willie Marples, especially his actual date of birth. I've got his date of death, who his mum & dad were & who his brother was my Grand-Dad. Also I've 2 address for him, I would like to know if anybody knew where he lived when he was born in 1896 please. I know he died in action at the battle of Ancre in France in 1916, part of the Somme's last offensive.

His name is Willie and not William thank-you.

edits

(looking at image, RNVR Other Ranks - Medal Rolls 1914-1920. Find My Past, and then a google!, perhaps refers to Index Casualty Number)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Nov 2015 09:38

That's spot on Chris, and 1916 after the number denotes the year he died.

Nuttyboy, the record you're referring to is his medal record. If you don't already have his Royal Naval Division service record then I can send it to you as the images are on FindMyPast.

EDIT - have sent the record anyway.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 13 Nov 2015 06:05

Record Image Index-only record
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: Willie Marples
Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Unit: Howe Bn.
Death Date: 3 Dec 1916
Cause of Death: Died of wounds at 12.05am in 20th General Hospital Dannes Camiers (GSW Chest & Back 13/11/16)
Burial: Etaples Military Cemetery (FR 40)
Service History: Enlisted 28/6/15 ; Draft for MEF 25/10/15, joined Howe Bn. 1/12/15-13/11/16 wounded.
Service number: Tyneside Z/5676
Notes: A Backer ; b.25/3/1896 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Mother, Anne Elizabeth, 72 Porter St., Sheffield, later of: 104 Sheldon St., off London Rd., Sheffield. ; ADM/171 = St.V.B. issued to Mother.

All on Ancestry

NuttyBoy

NuttyBoy Report 13 Nov 2015 15:32

Hello PatinCyprus thank you for you info. I have all of this above but on the print-out i've got is very similiar to PatinCyprus's but I have 1 more thing & it says on his report as.

Remarks: I.C.17318/1916??????
Jason?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Nov 2015 18:22

Jason, as Chris Ho posted above the number you have is from the medal rolls - IC 17318 is the Index Casualty number, any naval man who was issued medals after his death will have an IC number in the remarks column. The /1916 after it is the year he died.