Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clifford Lloyd

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 22 Sep 2015 21:13

I am looking for information about Clifford Lloyd. He was a cousin for my grandmother and as far as I can see he was born in Newtown Montgomeryshire in 1902. I have a photo of him in uniform but can't enlarge it enough to see which regiment he was with.
On the back of the photo it says "Cifford Lloyd age 19. Killed by a sniper in Native Uprising in India shortly after 1914-18 War Armistice was declared. Buried near Khyber Pass."
I am a bit confused about the age (19) as he was born in 1902 he would have been only about 16 at end of the war.
Because he was killed abroad his death is not in local BMD register. As he was not buried in a war graves cemetary I can't find him on the WGC site.
I really have no idea where else to look. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Sep 2015 22:03

Could it possibly be this one as it depends on what was meant by "shortly after the Armistice". Whoever wrote it may have meant a few years rather than a few months:-

First name(s) Clifford
Last name Lloyd
Birth year 1903
Age 19Y 4M
Burial date 29 Jul 1922
Place Waziristan
Presidency Bengal
Archive Reference N-1-459
Folio -
Page 7
Catalogue Description Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bengal, : 1713-1948
Record set British India Office deaths & burials
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

EDIT - it says on the image that he was killed in action by a gunshot wound to the neck and his right carotid was severed.

Army number: Private 4180560, 1st Battalion Royal Welsh Fusilliers.

Buried at Ladha Cemetery,Waziristan.

At the top of the page is written "Wesleyan"

Although this cemetery is around 250 miles from the Khyber Pass, to someone all those years ago who was not used to foreign places it may seem reasonable to say it was near a place they had heard of.

Kath. x

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 22 Sep 2015 23:22

Kath thank you so much for that information. I have checked the BMD again and it still only has a birth in 1902 but yes it is him. After you gave me a place name to work with I googled RWF in Waziristan and there is a Memorial to the men killed in Waziristan 1921-1924 in St Gile's Parish Church in Wrexham, (the RWF HQ until 2006) and he is listed on that. It is definately Cliff as it says he is the son of Mr T Lloyd and gives his address on the list (albeit some of the spelling not quite correct).
Once again thank you.
Yvonne x

:-) :-) :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Sep 2015 08:26

There is an entry for him in the UK Army Register of Soldiers Effects (on Ancestry):

Name: Clifford Lloyd
Death Date: 29 Jul 1922
Death Place: Ladra
Regiment: 1st Rylerklsh Fusiliers [sic] - should read Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Regimental Number: 4180560

There was pay due of £16 3s 9d and it went to father Thomas.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Sep 2015 08:43

1911 Census for him:

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Upper Ladywell Street Newtown, Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales

Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place

Thomas Lloyd Head Married Male Gardener Domestic 40 1871 Shropshire Longdon
Mary Harriet Lloyd Wife Married Female - 37 1874 Montgomeryshire Newtown
George H Lloyd Son Single Male - 15 1896 Mont Newtown
Thomas A Lloyd Son - Male - 13 1898 Mont Newtown
** Clifford Lloyd Son - Male - 8 1903 Mont Newtown
Percy Lloyd Son - Male - 5 1906 Mont Newtown
Bertha Lloyd Dau - Female 2 1909 Mont Newtown
Eric Lloyd Son - Male - 0 1911 Mont Newtown

Parents married 17 years, 8 children born, 6 still alive.

This would be their marriage:

Marriages Mar 1894
Lewis Mary Harriet Newtown 11b 227
Lloyd Thomas Newtown 11b 227

This should enable you to make a connection to your grandmother's family.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 23 Sep 2015 10:26

Hi MarieCeleste. Thank you so much for that extra information. Clifford's mother, Mary Harriet (Polly) was the eldest of 13 children, the youngest being my gran. It was interesting to see that there was pay due of £16 + which would have been quite a bit of money in the early 1920s. I remember Clifford's siblings Percy,Bertha and Eric from when I was young.
Yvonne :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Sep 2015 11:15

Hi Yvonne, his back pay would be worth around £705 today.

I'm pleased we've tied up the loose ends and it's all slotted into place.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 23 Sep 2015 12:38

I suppose the money was not a huge amount but i'm sure the family were very glad to receive it at the time, although i'm sure they would rather have had Clifford home :-( I only wish I had found out about him sooner so that I could have told my mother. I found the photo in her effects after she passed and have been trying to solve the riddle since.
Thanks to you and Kath again x