Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Jennings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 12 Sep 2015 12:44

My dad, George Jennings was born in Deansgate Manchester on 22nd October 1900, he served in the Army in WW2, he has been dead now for nearly 50 years, so my evidence is anecdotal. over 60 yrs ago when i was a small boy i can recall snatches of conversation with him, he told me he peeled tons of Potatoes in the mess and also that he received a Head wound ( bullet or shrapnel ? ) possibly at Dunkirk and that he was treated at a hospital, i forget which now but it was either Portsmouth or Plymouth but i can't remember which.For some reason i think he may have been in the Pioneer Corps which would seem reasonable, because he would have been nearly 40 years old, can anybody help me, will appreciate any information.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Sep 2015 13:34

His service records will be with the MOD. Have a look here to see how to apply for them:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

His records will cost you £30 and they take quite a few months to arrive (anything from 2 to 9 months).

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Sep 2015 13:37

Is this your dad in the 1911 census? :-

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
8 Grove Street Deansgate Manchester, Manchester, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place

Luke Jennings Head Widower Male Maker Up Warehouse 50 1861 Manchester Lancs
Thomas Jennings Son Single Male Lab Warehouse 25 1886 Manchester Lancs
John Jennings Son Single Male Lab Warehouse 22 1889 Manchester Lancs
Elizabeth Jennings Daughter Single Female Housekeeper 20 1891 Manchester Lancs
William Jennings Son Single Male Messenger Rly 17 1894 Manchester Lancs
James Jennings Son - Male Unemployed 14 1897 Manchester Lancs
Albert Jennings Son - Male School 11 1900 Manchester Lancs
George Jennings Son - Male School 10 1901 Manchester Lancs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Rebecca Jennings Daughter - Female School 9 1902 Manchester Lancs

Kath. x

Alan

Alan Report 12 Sep 2015 16:09

Hi Kath, thank you, yes that is my dad in the 1911 census, all of his 5 brothers fought in the 1st world war, but dad was too young.