Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to trace my birth father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

caroline

caroline Report 14 Aug 2015 11:43

I have very little information all i know is that his name is John & that he based in Catterik for roughly 1 week in September/October 1973. I think he might have been in a scottish regiment

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Aug 2015 13:17

I have a query over this as there's Catterick Garrison but in those days there was also RAF Catterick until 1994, then it got swallowed by Catterick Garrison.

Are you sure he was army?

At the time you are wanting to know about there was around 180,000 personnel in the army. The RAF was roughly half this figure. It is going to be very difficult to find someone named John in either service.

There were several Scottish regiments around at the time. I don't see how with so little information you'll find him. You will have to find out much more information and if that's not possible sorry to have to say you won't be able to find him.

Sorry Caroline
:-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Aug 2015 13:41

Susan I don't think they'd send a whole regiment to Catterick for just 1 week. He could have been delivering and installing something or on a short course. May have been with a regiment but could have belonged to a corps e.g. Royal Engineers. The corps men are attached to regiments then posted on to where required.

There have been so many amalgamations since 1973 many of the records will be stored away somewhere. You are asking for records of over 40 years ago and of someone who should be still alive. I don't think for security reasons they'll look for them, as what you'll need, by the look of it, is an individual's record, someone called John who for whatever reason went to Catterick.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Aug 2015 17:07

Susan,

I saw your post and all Pat is saying is that she doesn't think that your suggestion about the whole regiment moving for a week is likely. I don't think she was being derogatory to you in any way. Just explaining things from her point of view.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Aug 2015 17:36

Susan - I really don't know why you are upset by Pat's post. I can't see anything wrong in what she is saying.....and I don't understand what you mean by "she didn't have to name me".

I am absolutely 100% certain that no offence was intended.

Kath. xxxxx

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 20 Aug 2015 21:58

I just put your name in Susan to show I was answering your suggestion. I was in the WRAF at the time this query is based. I was on RAF camps with army sections. I know about the logistics of moving a whole regiment for a week it would cause incredible problems and expense.

I was not trying to be derogatory, just explaining, as I do have some understanding of what was happening at the time.

Security at the time was high and due to the situation the army was coping with I don't think information about anyone serving then would be easily available to someone who may and only may be related.

If you are upset by what I wrote I'm sorry but all I was trying to do was inform you as Kathleen realised. I have not seen your reply as you deleted it before I returned to this thread.

Thank you Kathleen for your support.

Pat x

caroline

caroline Report 1 Sep 2015 16:21

I really don't know if he was in the army i just assumed all i have been told is his 1st name & that he was in Catterick for 1 week. I have contacted the army about this & even with his full name they wouldnt have been able to give me any info anyway & suggested social media which I am attempted at the moment. I do know its highly unlikely who he is though